MT Power Drum Kit Sample substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT Power Drum Kit Sample substitute

Is there a relatively easy way to change a drum sample in MT Power Drum Kit in Reaper? I've been trying to get the Kick from that to sit in the mix and just... can't. It's prolly me, but even for just the sound by itself outside the mix, I just don't care for it. Mostly because it's not punchy enough and the kick beater sound is too weird sounding, which does cut, but doesn't sound very good. The rest of the kit is decent and I was able to get it to fit nicely with the rest of the mix, it's just the kick that I'm having issues with.

Alternatively, if it's possible to pull out just that midi part into another track and then sub to another sound, that would work too, but I don't really know how to do that.

Any tips from people who have used it? Do I just suck (lol) or is this kit's kick known for being bad?

Re: MT Power Drum Kit Sample substitute

Basically this: https://youtu.be/0LgflmNt_iw

I’m sure you can find a nice kick sample to use in its place.

If you can’t send each drum part to a separate track I’d just mute all but the kick and use that to work with. Then mute the original when you go to mix down.

You could also work with the isolated kick to apply compression and EQ, combine multiple kicks, etc

Or you could use the free slate drums.
    Last edited by DankStar; 07-01-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Fortunately, I can work with it separately on it's own channel (EQ and compression) and have been doing that, so that does theoretically make it easier. I just haven't been having much luck with the kick.

I will check out that YouTube video and the slate drums though.
      Thanks

Comment

I have had no issues with the MT kick ... what is the problem you are facing? What other instrumentation do you have that could be competing with the kick?
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I don't like the beater sound, the thud sound that the kick makes; it's too tinny sounding and high pitched, but not thumpy sounding enough. I have the Bass Guitar High-Passed at around 75 hz with a cut around 2200 so the beater sound from the kick can come through and remove some nasty presence from the Bass Guitar. The guitars might compete, they have cuts until around about 500 or so, and then just flat because the rest of the sound was fine, I might have to play with them more. I don't have any trouble hearing anything else (guitars, vocals, the rest of the set), it's literally just the kick drum.
          Last edited by GreatOz; 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Have you tried using a transient designer on the kick? Compressor with sidechain EQ will work also. LPF might also do the trick.

Using a different kick sound is probably easiest but learning how to manipulate what you have builds useful skills.

Am curious to hear if swapping the kick sound fixes your mix, I’m venturing a guess that it’s not the kick sound that’s the issue. Can you post a sample?
            Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-03-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Can you post a sample?
              I apologize for responding so late, but attached is a sample. This is nowhere near the final version of the song anyway, but this is just the instrumental.
              The kick makes this tiny beater sound and not much of a thud, which is what I want it to do.

Attached is the EQ I'm using for the kick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kick_eq_pttk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	5821070

Here is the sample itself.
              sample_mix.mp3

This is my first time ever recording a full band mix, so uh.. go easy (lol).

If anyone knows how to get that MP3 player thing to work directly in the post, that would also be fantastic (no download necessary).

Thanks for the help.
              Last edited by GreatOz; 07-12-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the slow response, I have been absolutely slammed with work deadlines. I will get to this soon!

Comment

Thank you for your time!

Comment

Working...
                  X