No announcement yet.

Can you split the coils on antiquities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you split the coils on antiquities?

I love the sound of the antiquities. I'm just curious if the coils can be split on that pickup?

Re: Can you split the coils on antiquities?

You have to either open up the pickup and rewire it to be 3 or 4 conductor, or you have to get a 4 conductor as a shop floor custom. As stock, they only come with 1 conductor and can't be split. A quick ebay search didn't seem to show any 4 conductor shop floor customs available for sale immediately.

That's what I did with mine, just rewired it to be 3 conductor.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-02-2020, 01:06 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

If you're not comfortable with the rewire, the custom shop can do that. I want to say it's something like $50-$75 and has maybe a 2 week turnaround. Don't hold me to those numbers. It's been a few years.

Comment

It's $20 to do a standard Duncan humbucker. I don't see why an Antiquity would be any more.

Comment

You can also specially order a 4 conductor version of the Antiquity through the Shop Floor Custom program, ordered through any authorized dealer.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I gave up splitting lo to medium humbuckers. To tinny and thin sounding in my book.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
              I gave up splitting lo to medium humbuckers. To tinny and thin sounding in my book.
              I agree. For me, it's a useless and uninspiring sound.

I love my Strat pickups but splitting a 7 or 8K humbucker isn't going to get that sound.

Putting the coils in parallel is better and it's still humbucking...but that doesn't really sound like a Strat either.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                Basically, I agree, with two exceptions: Splitting two humbuckers simultaneously, then combining those two coils either in parallel, for Strat quack, or in series, for a virtual 3rd humbucker, are both usable sounds.
                Even with a low-to-medium output 'bucker.

Comment

i find partial split of a neck bucker can be useful. gives a brighter, thinner, lower output tone but isnt as wimpy as a full split. it sure doesnt sound like a strat pup to me but in a live situation, it does what i need it to do

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i find partial split of a neck bucker can be useful. gives a brighter, thinner, lower output tone but isnt as wimpy as a full split. it sure doesnt sound like a strat pup to me but in a live situation, it does what i need it to do
                    Agree. Partial split is the way to go for me. It sounds nothing like a strat, but it's a useful tone and basically gives me 2 levels of gain to play with. If you run 20 pedals then you don't need that, but I like to keep it minimalistic.

Comment

yep. my typical rig is guitar->overdrive->amp with the od only for extra push if needed so most of the time its guitar->amp. for clean rhythm work with a clearer, brighter tone the partial split works for me

Comment

I'll have to play with this partial split thang. I don't think I've tried it. Or if I did, it was long enough ago that I've forgotten.

Comment

I had my neck Ant partial split to around 6k and it sounded great. It might be a bit of a clank no matter what in the bridge tho.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 07-02-2020, 01:15 PM.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Ok, what's "partial" split?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                              Ok, what's "partial" split?
                              I think it's like partial OOP. You put a resistor in series with the "normal" short to ground. Then you get virtual split. I think. Maybe.

Like . . . when you make a hamburger out of Tofu.
                              Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-02-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X