Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: First 7 string

I picked up a used Kiesel Vader 7.

This thing is very light and comfy on a strap. Sitting in a classical-like position with the guitar on my left leg is also not a problem with the tuners sticking out the back, which was one of my concerns initially.

The 7th string is completely throwing me off so far but I've only played it for about an hour. I'm finding that I get lost on the fretboard for the E, A and D strings. I'm also adjusting to the super flat 20" radius and the slightly narrower string spacing.

This was meant as a bit of a test run for Kiesel, headless guitars and 7 strings in general, so I'll give it a few months and if I still haven't adjusted, I could see myself flipping it and getting a similar 6 string possibly with a 14" radius. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Kiesel though - the quality on this guitar is abundantly clear. Everything is perfect.

I'll also add that the Kiesel Lithium pickups are VERY bright, almost on par with a single coil, as stated by countless reviews online. I don't find them harsh but they are a bit thin in the low mids. It's interesting that Kiesel uses such a distinct and polarizing pickup as their default option in most of their guitars.
    Last edited by bigcupholder; 07-02-2020, 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo

Re: NGD: First 7 string

Try tune your 7-striing a fifth down- but with a upper treble string

my fav.7 string tuning.

nice axe!
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Ive had a Jackson 7 string for a while and Im starting to get used to having the extra string. Congrats on the new guitbox, reminds me of the old Ibanez Reb Beach guitar.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Congrats! It'll be fun! I had my first 7string last fall, since then I got another one. And the extra string is not just for palm muted wall rocking. Some time ago I tried to work out a chord/melody arrangement for a song and the extra bass string let me use some cool large interval voicings that would've been impossible reaches on a 6 string. Also, I try to practice a lot of scale mode stuff and the extra string gave me some lightbulb moments regarding the relationship between the modes.

Comment

This guitar is brighter than my old telecaster. Crazy presence. It picks up all the little fret noises, especially on the low B. Somehow the high strings aren't harsh though. I have no idea how it sounds like this.

I almost never touch the tone knob, but this is forcing me to use it. I have to roll the tone down half way to sound normal. Luckily it doesn't get muddy and honky rolled down. Even the neck with the tone on 0 sounds completely clear. Could be a combination of bright woods, bright pickups and a small capacitor on the tone knob. I might add another capacitor in parallel at some point to increase that range a bit.

I assumed 7 strings are usually a bit brighter to maintain clarity on the low B, but I wasn't expecting this at all. Still, it's fun so far. I've been waking up a couple hours early and getting a lot of practice time in.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X