Wiring a Parallel Switch to a Push\Pull Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a Parallel Switch to a Push\Pull Pot

I'm having a bit of trouble making sense of this, as following the instructions Dimarzio gives, it appears you need to have 2 seperate switches (or push\pull pots) in order to have parallel switching for 2 humbuckers? I want 1 push\pull to activate parallel switching for both my humbuckers, is that possible? I just wanted to try parallel instead of split cause I figured that would sound better in an HH guitar with a 3 way.

Re: Wiring a Parallel Switch to a Push\Pull Pot

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
    I want 1 push\pull to activate parallel switching for both my humbuckers, is that possible?
    Unfortunately, no. You need two push-pulls. As an option, one Fender S1 switch will do it.

Comment

I don't have an answer for you.

But in my own Squire Strat with humbuckers I simply installed two 3 way mini switches. One for each pickup.

Then I was able to choose between single coil, parallel or series.

I think I got the diagram from Duncan's wiring diagrams.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Unfortunately, no. You need two push-pulls. As an option, one Fender S1 switch will do it.
        Nuts. Thanks for the quick reply, Artie . I think I'll just wire it to turn the Neck parallel then - at least it gives me 2 more options for tone. And I know for a fact this particular pickup sounds great in paralell.

or. Could I make that same switch also flip the bridge into single coil mode though? the way I'm seeing it, that wouldn't harm anything except maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Parallel uses up the whole switch. I don't know what the guitar is, but you could also do a 4PDT mini-switch. You'd just have to drill a small hole. 1/8th" I think.

Like this: https://guitarelectronics.com/2-way-...toggle-switch/
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-02-2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Not a push/pull. A on/on/on mini. Here's how to do it:
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Lew. But he wants parallel on one pup, while simultaneously splitting a different pup altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Hey Lew. But he wants parallel on one pup, while simultaneously splitting a different pup altogether.
                He can do that Artie. But it'll take two switches. One for each pickup.

With two switches he can split or parallel one pickup and then leave the other one in series if he wants to.

But it'll take two on/on/on switches.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  He can do that Artie. But it'll take two switches. One for each pickup.

With two switches he can split or parallel one pickup and then leave the other one in series if he wants to.

But it'll take two on/on/on switches.
                  I don't think that can be accomplished with a push/pull pot though. It's only two position: up or down.

I think a three position on/on/on mini switch, one for each pickup, is required.

Comment

Yup. For series/parallel on two pups: 2 DPDT's or 1 4PDT. Both on-on.
                    For series/parallel/split on two pups: 2 DPDT's or 1 4PDT, Both on-on-on.

Comment

Well, I got it in there (thanks guys!) It sure is a mess of wires in there - someday I'll clean it all up but I just wanted to get the thing working - And I sure am glad I did it this way. Cause the parallel sounds beautiful and I doubt the split coils would've sounded good.

But I wired the tone control... Backwards ? When tone control is all the way down, it's like it should be on 10, and then if you turn it "up" it doesn't do anything at first, but then the last little bit it rapidly changes to a "tone knob on 0" sound at the end. Kinda weird . Anyone know what I did wrong?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

But I wired the tone control... Backwards ? When tone control is all the way down, it's like it should be on 10, and then if you turn it "up" it doesn't do anything at first, but then the last little bit it rapidly changes to a "tone knob on 0" sound at the end. Kinda weird . Anyone know what I did wrong?

Anyone got an idea how I could fix this ?

Comment

It just means you reversed the terminals on the pot. Can you post a pic? Then we could show you which wire to move.

Comment

Working...
                          X