Morning garage jam. New song SCarrie Anne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning garage jam. New song SCarrie Anne

Wrote this for my drummer, about his crazy, cracked out, ex wife this morning.

More of a rough draft for the band to learn, but maybe you'll like it.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 07-04-2020, 09:51 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Morning garage jam. New song SCarrie Anne

I like it!

Question about the vocals - which is my main hang up on your stuff, cookie style aside...

Why so dry? No verb, no echo....Style intentional or no fx?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm thinking that it's his style. And I like it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that Windows sound @3:17 intentional? Enjoyed it. The highlight is the 22 Acacia Avenue stuff starting @2:04.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          Is that Windows sound @3:17 intentional? Enjoyed it. The highlight is the 22 Acacia Avenue stuff starting @2:04.
          Ha ha it's the most amazing thing ever isn't it?
          I have no idea at all how that sound got into my mix!
          I'm going to go see right now!

Comment

There's actually touch of chorus and a short slapback delay on vocals. I like the whole sepultura, short, dry, kind of vibe, so I kind of just go with that. I am no singer, certainly not good at mixing vocals yet. Learning as I go.

Comment

Ok! I found the stupid windows sound! It was on the vocal track..... So.....maybe it bled thru my headphones? Maybe my laptop made a noise while I was recording the vocal track? Reaper software issue?
              Anyhow, fixed it.

Also added reverb to the vocal track for you Bob.
              Not sure if I added the right type or amount.... Feedback welcomed.
              Last edited by 80's_Metal; 07-03-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I like that a lot better. I'd put it a little deeper in the mix now. Not too much...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                  Wrote this for my drummer, about his crazy, cracked out, ex wife this morning.

More of a rough draft for the band to learn, but maybe you'll like it.
                  Crazy and cracked out X?

Can I get her digits plz?
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Sounds good, like the chorus -nice guitar tones.

2 points of constructive criticism -If that's what you are looking for.

*C section seems slightly like an afterthought (assumed a guitar solo is going there) -maybe write some riffs or change the pace -break it up etc...

*I know your style here is using descriptors and aphorisms -but I think if you wanted to make anyone more interested in the song other than the riffs and beats -you could make people know why we should care about Carrie in the first place -establish what was worth being around her in the first place, and document her demise and how f*cked up she is now. Get the drummer drunk, and write down everything he says about the story arc of their relationship, then give the listener a reason to care. Giving the lyrics agency is the key to having a listener get vested.

for me personally, that's the difference between a good and a great song -
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Wow, that already made a ton of difference! I too would bring the vox down a tad in the mix and you've got a winner!

Comment

Also, it would be even more fortuitous if SCarrie Anne was from South Carolina. ****crosses fingers****

Comment

Edited again.
                          Thanks for all the ideas guys, I enjoy feedback and learning more.

One of the biggest things I am working through is what speakers I am using to edit.... Studio monitors, studio headphones, computer speakers, different headphones.... All sound so totally different.... Working through all that.

Playback on a phone, or a car stereo, or a boombox.... All sounds so very different. Hard to find good neutrality.

So our idea for the lyrics were using only synonyms for the word hate. Simplistic I know, but that was our idea ha ha.

I don't know if she's from SC or not..... I'll ask.

Here's a conundrum though: our bassist has started a new career and won't be around much.... The drummers daughter plays bass and might very well be playing with us .... This song is about her mother! Tacky and tasteless.... I decided that I'm going to rename it Mary-Anne and then redo the vocals to match that ha ha ha... More to come.
                          Last edited by 80's_Metal; 07-04-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                            The drummers daughter plays bass and might very well be playing with us .... This song is about her mother! Tacky and tasteless.... I decided that I'm going to rename it Mary-Anne and then redo the vocals to match that ha ha ha... More to come.
                            You are a very decent man.

but you can do a big reveal in you VH1 behind the music episode!

Comment

Yeah, more like it, but... Could we try another singer?

JUST KIDDING! It rocks, really! Actually, my fave from you thus far!

Comment

Working...
                              X