Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's Official: Placed Order for Custom Orpheo Bass Guitar

Hey Mincer,

You chose a swamp ash body with a wenge neck! Nice choice! I have a wenge neck on one of my Warmoths now and I love it. One of the 3 guitars I want to order from Warmoth right now is a swamp ash Regal (LP) with a wenge neck. I currently use a wenge neck on a chambered black korina body. I love wenge!

Oh and the black cherry burst looks righteous on your strat!
    Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks, man! I had fun building it, and I am sure I will build more. Now I am looking at the Regal bodies in blue...
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Orpheo is cool and knows his stuff inside out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Thanks, man! I had fun building it, and I am sure I will build more. Now I am looking at the Regal bodies in blue...
          You're welcome! I forgot about the toxicity of wenge dust! I had to drill into mine a bit, but I remember wearing gloves now.

Haha, yeah, the Regals are really nice! You know, before I did my first Warmoth LP 12 years ago, I was not sure if I would like bolt-on singlecuts, but here I am now and I never looked back. I never noticed a difference besides feeling the neck plate on my palm occasionally. They are beautiful instruments! Blue just happens to be my favorite color...
          Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
            Orpheo is cool and knows his stuff inside out!
            I agree!
            Soundcloud

Comment

@Mincer: you can always drop me a line if you want a LP shaped guitar fit to your needs. You know where to find me

Yeah, the blog was great. I had five great years churning out articles every month. Unfortunately, life caught up with me at the end and SD wasn't as keen on continuing the blog for some reason, so after five years it was over.

You wouldn't believe it, but the first chunks of wood and electrics have been ordered already \m/

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                @Mincer: you can always drop me a line if you want a LP shaped guitar fit to your needs. You know where to find me

Yeah, the blog was great. I had five great years churning out articles every month. Unfortunately, life caught up with me at the end and SD wasn't as keen on continuing the blog for some reason, so after five years it was over.

You wouldn't believe it, but the first chunks of wood and electrics have been ordered already \m/
                That is right! You used to write for Duncan's blog as well!

Ironically, content marketing is such a big deal in 2020, that if you are not blogging for SD, there is no reason not to add a blog to your own website once you are ready to work on it/launch it. Any company not taking advantage of content marketing opportunities is leaving money on the table right now.
                Soundcloud

Comment

Oh... and that is exciting news about the first parts being ordered! I am looking forward to this build by orpheo!
                  Soundcloud

Comment

SnakeAces: So, is this going to be a bass, that looks like an LP? That could be so cool.

orpheo: When you build a custom guitar, does the customer provide pups and strings, so you can set it up? Or how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      SnakeAces: So, is this going to be a bass, that looks like an LP? That could be so cool.

orpheo: When you build a custom guitar, does the customer provide pups and strings, so you can set it up? Or how does that work?
                      customer tells me what strings he wants and how he wants the setup to be and then I build the instrument, install the strings and do the setup to his/her specs. Setup goes in two stages. First, I set up the guitar with a basic action, to test if the fretwork is within what I call factory spec (factory; hilarious, I'm the only one working in my company :P but you gotta give it a name, don't you). That's 0.5mm on high E 12th fret, 0.7mm low E 12th fret, neck with a relief of 0.05mm. That's almost straight. Once that's done and the action is low, no fretting out (fretting out =/= fretbuzz!) I know that the guitar can be set up superlow and all's good and well. Then I set up per customer's spec. Suppose, my fretwork is only good enough for an action of 1mm/1.5mm low/high E string (which is considered low), and the customer wants lower, I have a problem. Hence the super tedious fretwork to get that done.

And yup. LP shape.

Comment

I’ve had a pair of Spanish cedar guitars, they were very comfortable weight and sounded excellent
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Indeed, it will be a LP bass. I have wanted one for a very long time. Besides being difficult to find one, I also had concerns about weight. Many years ago I realized I would need to find a good luthier if I ever wanted an LP bass made the way I want it. I am very excited for this bass, to say the least...
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                            I’ve had a pair of Spanish cedar guitars, they were very comfortable weight and sounded excellent
                            I am excited to try Spanish cedar out. If I like it on the bass, I will have to try it on a guitar eventually.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Update: orpheo shared photos of the bocote blank with me. This will be used for the laminated neck, backplates, headstock veneer and the fretboard. A side note from orpheo states that this stuff is really heavy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200714_172437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5821089
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200714_172505.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5821090
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Update from orpheo! Besides the wood updates, I also changed the inlay request on the order. I do not want to spill the beans, but orpheo came up with a sick idea for the inlay. Let's just say it follows a similar theme as my recent 2x12 guitar cab order. That is the first clue I am willing to share. It is going to be incredible!

Body front:

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20200814_142255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	6009627

Body back:

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20200814_142239.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	6009628
                                Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-14-2020, 12:36 PM.
                                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                                X