Whole Lotta Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Lotta Humbuckers

For anyone going for a great 70s, classic rock sound, the Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers are a great choice. They were designed just like the pickups Seymour Duncan worked on for Jimmy Paige in the 70s.

Initially these were a limited release just in the UK but now they are a normal production run.

I just has a set installed in an Epiphone Les Paul Classic (had to go with the covered nickel for the classic look) and they really sound great. The clean tone is excellent but I have also been testing them out on a clean channel with both a Boss Blues Driver and Big Muff Pi; I am getting some great sounds with both pedals.

Anyway, Guitar Center still has a few sets in stock (when I bought mine a few weeks ago, a lot of other places had them on back order or you could only get a single pickup and not a set).

Shop for the Seymour Duncan SH-18 Whole Lotta Humbucker Pickup Set - Nickel in Black and receive free shipping and guaranteed lowest price.

Glad you like them. I have a set of the original custom shop release and initially they were going to be the start of some pickup swapping, but they never got swapped.
    Gibson R9 Lemon|Gibson SG Std|Fender 59 AmVint 3TB/AmStd Strat 3TB/MIM Strat Agave Blue|82 Squier JV '57 Strat 2TB|Epi LP Trans Cherry 50s wiring/vint Bees/SD CS WLH|Cort M600 59-Cust Hybrid+Jazz|Harley Benton RB-612CS|Rosewood Tele|Kramer Ferrington
    Marshall JCM 2000 50w/DSL40c V30/Lead 100 MOSFET/1960a GB/Lead 12|Fender Blues Deluxe RI|Vox AC15C1/Pathfinder 15R|Laney Cub 15 head|Orange Micro Terror|BOSS Katana 100|Peavey Bandit|Orange Crush 15R

Comment

I agree. They are a great set for those looking for a PAF-type, but a little hotter.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love them too, in fact, I am about to begin ordering what will become my second guitar with a WLH set in them. Although, I am in no rush, the guitar will not be ready for several months. So, I do not need to order another set of WLH today... I do not think. Hopefully they are not too difficult to locate soon.
        Soundcloud

Comment

They sound intriguing. I've been swapping pickups like crazy lately. I'm thinking about getting a pair (or at least bridge model) for my SG.

Comment

The bridge is special, the neck is underrated.
            Soundcloud

Comment

What's not to like? Seymour knew what he was doing way back then, and still does.
              "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Hopefully you can get a set, though when I got mine, I was specifically looking for Nickle Covered pickups and Guitar Center was the only place with a set. The uncovered might be easier to locate.

I really both pick ups, but for the neck, if you drop the tone down you can get a really nice nasally Clapton/Cream kinda sound for soloing.

Comment

So, how would these compare to the classic old '59 set?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Artie, the DCR of the WLH set is 8.2K and 8.78K and it uses roughcast Alnico 5 magnets.

My newish 59's measure 7.43K and 8.13K and came with polished Alnico 5 magnets.

I'm very familiar with Duncan 59's and have some sets from the 1980's that MJ wound. Those have a higher DCR than today's 59 set and mine came with ROUGHCAST Alnico 5 magnets stock.

I think polished A5 magnets might hold a stronger charge than roughcast, and polished A5 give a pickup a brighter sound than roughcast. I would anticipate the WLH set with roughcast A5 having a warmer more textured sound with stronger midrange, than today's 59 set.

8.2K is pretty high for a neck pickup but original PAF sets might have had a neck pickup wound with higher DCR than the bridge pickup or the same as the bridge pickup.

Or lower DCR like today's calibrated sets.

It was hit or miss in the 50's and I don't think Gibson made any attempt to calibrate PAFs for the neck and bridge positions.

Some did accidentally come with an A2 neck and A4 or A5 bridge. That would balance them a little bit.

But it was probably not intentional.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-27-2020, 10:55 AM.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Mine are like an improved 59 set. Some mids filled in on the bridge, softer top end on the bridge, little more heat on the bridge (drives amps a little better, more range with the volume control), no boom on the neck, some chime in the middle position, both split well and combine when split well. Even gets Fendery with split and out of phase (like Dire Straits Sultans of Swing Fendery).

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Mine are like an improved 59 set. Some mids filled in on the bridge, softer top end on the bridge, little more heat on the bridge (drives amps a little better, more range with the volume control), no boom on the neck, some chime in the middle position, both split well and combine when split well. Even gets Fendery with split and out of phase (like Dire Straits Sultans of Swing Fendery).
                        That's basically what I would expect them to be. An improved 59 set.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
                          Hopefully you can get a set, though when I got mine, I was specifically looking for Nickle Covered pickups and Guitar Center was the only place with a set. The uncovered might be easier to locate.

I really both pick ups, but for the neck, if you drop the tone down you can get a really nice nasally Clapton/Cream kinda sound for soloing.
                          I wonder if I should order mine now! I do want a set without covers. I see they are out of stock at Duncan. I always prefer ordering them direct from Duncan if possible.

I do not need them for about 2 months... I hope SD is not discontinuing them...

I also love both the neck and the bridge. They have a wide range. I also have push-push volumes so I can operate in single coil mode too. They sound great in any mode.
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Yes this is exactly what they sound like. And yes, the Fender-y tones are real. Very cool set of humbuckers. I would also add that they have a certain glassy smooth top end capability, very glassy when playing something such as The Thrill is Gone.

I love the WLH set. They truly shine with any kind of dirt, these pups love driving music with sex appeal. With that being said, don't ignore the clean tones either!
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

That's basically what I would expect them to be. An improved 59 set.
                              Cool. I just got my roughcast A2/A3 set for my 59's, from AFX, that you recommended. I'll try these out, and go from there.

Thanks again Lew;
                              Artie

Comment

Working...
                              X