NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special 2020

Been looking at these since they were announced, but felt I had no need since I had a lovely butterscotch Dillion Les Paul Junior, but still...knowing these Epi's had a big 50's neck and the new headstock shape and, with the reviews being so killer, I just kept thinking about making room for one. I gave in and bought one from Zzounds a couple Wednesdays back (6/24)...it arrived at my house the next day.

I am sooooo glad I decided to buy this guitar. It's lighter than the Dillion, while feeling no less substantial. And my gosh...unplugged, the Epi is extremely resonant. The neck is just perfect for me...measuring at .94" at first fret and .99" at the 12th.

I cleaned and treated the fretboard with F-One oil, adjusted the neck to get it to little to no relief, put on a new set of D'Addario 11-49 strings and set the intonation.

Finally, I replaced the stock strap buttons with a set of Dunlop straplok buttons and replaced the stock tuners with a set of Kluson Revolution 19:1 ratio locking tuners. While I realize these Klusons don't have the proper Les Paul Special white oval buttons, they do have the classic Kluson keystone buttons we're used to seeing on Gibsons and I think they look fantastic on this Epiphone.

I'm amazed at how much this Indian Laurel fretboard looks like proper rosewood and I'm happy that I got one that is uniformly dark.

The pickups are awesome...I will not be changing them out.

I love love LOVE This guitar!

PICS:

1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    2019 Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Re: NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special 2020

That is a sweet looking Epi. I dig it. A lot. Very cool. You have some killer amp heads too. Your name and something about your avatar remind me of a guy I used to watch light up the stage quite a bit back in the day... Cliffy Huntington a.k.a. Cliff Powell. Dude was awesome on stage. They swore they didn't know who the Ramones were which was just part of the novelty. I must have seen the Hintingtons play at least 10 times in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Anyway, sweet guitar and congrats on a NGD!
    Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
      That is a sweet looking Epi. I dig it. A lot. Very cool. You have some killer amp heads too. Your name and something about your avatar remind me of a guy I used to watch light up the stage quite a bit back in the day... Cliffy Huntington a.k.a. Cliff Powell. Dude was awesome on stage. They swore they didn't know who the Ramones were which was just part of the novelty. I must have seen the Huntingtons play at least 10 times in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Anyway, sweet guitar and congrats on a NGD!
      That's me and I don't remember ever acting like I didn't know who the Ramones were...no way, no how! Haha.
      -------
      1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
        That’s a sharp looking guitar. I’m looking at mine right now.

I like how the little person who lives in the outlet is like =O
        Haha...that's a killer observation!!!!
        -------
        1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
          That's me and I don't remember ever acting like I didn't know who the Ramones were...no way, no how! Haha.
          Haha! Dude, that is awesome! You are a a great player and you have legendary stage presence. I think I have a t-shirt, the good, the bad and the ugly cover... is that your Strat on the cover? I still rock that shirt from time to time. Those were some good days back then.

It's pretty sweet to stumble into you on the SD forums. You still playing in bands? If so, are you recording anything? I'd be happy to check out your music if it's available. Other than that, happy playing man. I definitely dig that new Epi. I love the 50's Gibson neck profile, I use it on every Warmoth neck I order. I do think the tuner swap gives that headstock sort of a modern-vintage Gibson vibe. I bet those P-90s sounds killer through some of your amps.
          Soundcloud

Comment

Haha! Dude, that is awesome! You are a a great player and you have legendary stage presence.
            Thank you...nice of you to say.

I think I have a t-shirt, the good, the bad and the ugly cover... is that your Strat on the cover? I still rock that shirt from time to time. Those were some good days back then.
            That is my Strat on the cover and yes, they were!

It's pretty sweet to stumble into you on the SD forums. You still playing in bands? If so, are you recording anything? I'd be happy to check out your music if it's available.
            Been posting here for quite a few years. After the Huntingtons I did a band called The Stivs. Now the Huntingtons are back together actually...we did a new album that's been getting very positive reviews...it came out in January of this year. It's called Muerto, Carcel O Rocanrol. We play out a lot (which is of course on hold with the pandemic crisis this year).

Other than that, happy playing man. I definitely dig that new Epi. I love the 50's Gibson neck profile, I use it on every Warmoth neck I order. I do think the tuner swap gives that headstock sort of a modern-vintage Gibson vibe. I bet those P-90s sounds killer through some of your amps.
            Thank you, sir...same to you!
            -------
            1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Thank you...nice of you to say.

That is my Strat on the cover and yes, they were!

Been posting here for quite a few years. After the Huntingtons I did a band called The Stivs. Now the Huntingtons are back together actually...we did a new album that's been getting very positive reviews...it came out in January of this year. It's called Muerto, Carcel O Rocanrol. We play out a lot (which is of course on hold with the pandemic crisis this year).

Thank you, sir...same to you!
              You're welcome, thank you for all the great shows and music over the years.

Sadly, I've been mostly absent around here the past few years. Had a lot of personal stuff going on that kept my time and energy occupied. Anyway, your Strat is awesome, I always did love that cover! It's a good album too, so good I bought it twice. My first one cracked somehow, so I bought it again. I was pretty big into punk back in the 90s and you guys were always in my rotation. A lot of the Clash, MxPx, Dingees, Rancid, Ramones, Billy Idol, Huntingtons, Green Day and reggae at the time.

I think I caught almost every Huntingtons show in or around Minneapolis from 1998 into the 2000s. You guys were on the road a lot and you were constantly releasing albums. I remember when Plastic Surgery and Get Lost came out, it felt like a back to back release. I think High School Rock was the first album I bought from you guys. I still dig that album on the occasion. There is so much music to listen to these days! However, in my opinion, the Huntingtons really shine as a live experience. Raw, fast rock and roll. The energy is unreal, I feel the spirit of 70s and 80s punk at your shows. I hope a new generation of fans emerge from your reunion.

I am definitely going to check out anything I can find from the Stivs and I will check out the new Huntingtons album tonight! Cliffy, Mikey and the boys back at it again? Sweet. I will definitely have to make it to one of your shows once society returns to normal again. I dig the new album name too. The cover is badass! I can't wait to hear it... I like to listen to music at night, after my guitar playing. I am just wrapping work up for the week now. Looking forward to the next 2 and a half hours of playing guitar now...

Thanks again for the response!
              Soundcloud

Comment

You're welcome, thank you for all the great shows and music over the years.

Sadly, I've been mostly absent around here the past few years. Had a lot of personal stuff going on that kept my time and energy occupied. Anyway, your Strat is awesome, I always did love that cover! It's a good album too, so good I bought it twice. My first one cracked somehow, so I bought it again. I was pretty big into punk back in the 90s and you guys were always in my rotation. A lot of the Clash, MxPx, Dingees, Rancid, Ramones, Billy Idol, Huntingtons, Green Day and reggae at the time.

I think I caught almost every Huntingtons show in or around Minneapolis from 1998 into the 2000s. You guys were on the road a lot and you were constantly releasing albums. I remember when Plastic Surgery and Get Lost came out, it felt like a back to back release. I think High School Rock was the first album I bought from you guys. I still dig that album on the occasion. There is so much music to listen to these days! However, in my opinion, the Huntingtons really shine as a live experience. Raw, fast rock and roll. The energy is unreal, I feel the spirit of 70s and 80s punk at your shows. I hope a new generation of fans emerge from your reunion.

I am definitely going to check out anything I can find from the Stivs and I will check out the new Huntingtons album tonight! Cliffy, Mikey and the boys back at it again? Sweet. I will definitely have to make it to one of your shows once society returns to normal again. I dig the new album name too. The cover is badass! I can't wait to hear it... I like to listen to music at night, after my guitar playing. I am just wrapping work up for the week now. Looking forward to the next 2 and a half hours of playing guitar now...

Thanks again for the response!
                So awesome... feel free to add me on facebook, too, if you're so inclined.

Cliffy Huntington is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Cliffy Huntington and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.
                -------
                1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

So awesome... feel free to add me on facebook, too, if you're so inclined.

http://www.facebook.com/cliffenstein
                  Done. Lol, Jonni Walker, is that a stage name you have also used? I dig it.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

P90's are the way to go

I got an Epiphone Wildkat "koa" (lmt.ed) ...

But my fretboard doesn't look as nice as yours. The colors are "all over the place", and also there is a... crack? or streak going trough it, around the 9/12th fret,
                    bought the guitar unseen from Thomann, and the "issue" doesn't affect playability. It just looks a bit "sad" if you study it.

What is "F-One" oil? I've been looking for some good oil for my fretboard; just haven't decided on what to get. (I learned that "lemon oil" is just mineral oil with scent; and not really the top choice)

rock on! I hope you enjoy your new guitar alot!

-Erl
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Done. Lol, Jonni Walker, is that a stage name you have also used? I dig it.
                      The Huntingtons song JW is a song in jest that our singer wrote about me.
                      -------
                      1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                        P90's are the way to go

I got an Epiphone Wildkat "koa" (lmt.ed) ...

But my fretboard doesn't look as nice as yours. The colors are "all over the place", and also there is a... crack? or streak going trough it, around the 9/12th fret,
                        bought the guitar unseen from Thomann, and the "issue" doesn't affect playability. It just looks a bit "sad" if you study it.

What is "F-One" oil? I've been looking for some good oil for my fretboard; just haven't decided on what to get. (I learned that "lemon oil" is just mineral oil with scent; and not really the top choice)

rock on! I hope you enjoy your new guitar alot!

-Erl
                        F-One oil is awesome...it cleans, conditions and darkens unfinished fretboards (ebony, rosewood, indian laurel, etc). It's made by Music Nomad...it's inexpensive and works amazingly well. They sell it at all the musician gear websites (Zzounds, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, etc).

-------
                        1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

The Huntingtons song JW is a song in jest that our singer wrote about me.
                          Wow, that is awesome! I never knew that. JW is one of my favorite tracks off the good, the bad and the ugly! Great song, great nickname...
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Listening to Muerto, Carcel, O Rocanrol right now. Good stuff, you still sound like the Huntingtons, but evolved. That is the way it should be imo. Not to mention, you still have your crazy good guitar chops. They are even better than there were before plus you have added a lot more versatility to your lead playing. Your licks, riffs and solos are great on this album! Nice work!

Now enjoy your new guitar, haha!
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Haha is that another Back to the Future reference from you guys on Say Hi To Your Mom For Me?
                              Light beer? Is that the background chant? Then is that Biff's voice sampled in there? I love it!
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X