Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special 2020

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
    Looks great, man. I've been super impressed with most of the Laurel boards I've seen; I vastly prefer their look to the pau ferro stuff you tend to see in the step-up price range.
    I remember seeing laurel boards on Squier guitars in the last few years and thinking they had kind of a grayish appearance, so it took me many months of looking at photos and watching videos before I pulled the trigger on this. But gosh am I ever glad I did. There's NOTHING about this fretboard that looks or feels the slightest bit off. It so easily passes for rosewood. I don't like the look of pau ferro at all...super happy laurel was chosen.
    1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

That's really sharp. Love me some P90's. I like the smaller buttons on the tuners myself. Looks much more proper for the guitar style. However, when I built my SG Jr, I put Gotoh metal keystone tuners on it and it looks fine. For my LP Jr DC build I just started, the plan is to go with the Kluson Supreme 3-on-a-plate with oval plastic or metal buttons. I might go metal. Depends on the weight difference. I'm also looking at the Golden Age Vintage-style 3-On-Plate Tuners. 15:1 gear ratio, lightweight, got the look for the guitar.

Nice upgrades.
      Last edited by ErikH; 07-21-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I just picked up a Epi Les Paul Special II Limited - an older bolt-on model - and I was extremely surprised at how nice it is. Plays really well and the Epi pickups have a nice classic rock crunch. Didn't expect it at all!

Your new guitar looks even nicer. Enjoy!
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
          The stock ones on mine after getting them the proper height sound so good to me. What's different about the SD ones? I see they're both Alnico 5 with braided wire. I'm all about making this guitar all it can be, so if the difference is really that stark, I may spring for the change myself.

I thought the stock tuners were great, it's just that locking tuners are a must have for me, which is why I went the Kluson Revolution route...glad I did. What do you think you're gonna end up doing about yours?
          To my ears the set of SD Vintage P90s are a definite improvement over the stock Epiphone P90 PROs: better definition and bloom, and lots of clarity, not that the stock ones were THAT bad. Touch sensitivity is also much noticeable on the SDs.

Minor gripe to me is the fretboard, an indian laurel one, which is definitely not as smooth as a rosewood one. I have a Squier VMJM with a pau ferro board, and while not as good looking as the Epi one, feels way smoother.

After Dystrust's tip, I may try to find some Gotoh locking ones, if the brand makes them.

Tone-wise, it's a monster. Using volume and tone pots on these SD P90s definitely gets a lot of different tones.

I just find the back of the neck too sticky, and it's the first guitar I've ever owned that feels that way.

Judging from the YT reviews I had seen before I bought it, it's really a lot of guitar for € 368! Since a Gibson would cost around € 1.200, I really couldn't justify the cost of the real one, so I guess this gets me 90% close.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            I'm not super familiar with European retailers, but these are excellent tuners that should look correct.

I have a locking set with keystone buttons on my SG w/ Bigsby and they've been rock solid.
            Thanks for the tip, Dystrust. I'm a Schaller man myself, but a set of SD MG-Ts will probably be the way to go for me.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post

Thanks for the tip, Dystrust. I'm a Schaller man myself, but a set of SD MG-Ts will probably be the way to go for me.
              I love Schallers, but they're 30-50% more than Gotoh in the US for something of comparable quality.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I like the style the new tuners add! It's a nice touch.
                Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                  I like the style the new tuners add! It's a nice touch.
                  The keystones or the nickel oval buttons?
                  1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                  2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
                  2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
                  2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                  2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
                  -------
                  1979 Marshall JMP 2204
                  1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                  2021 Epic Amplification AR50
                  2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post

The keystones or the nickel oval buttons?
                    The even newer nickel ones, I liked the keystones too, but the nickel looks badass.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                    X