Potential replacement for SH-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potential replacement for SH-5

The Custom 5 works for me in a mid-heavy guitar. I don't think I'd like it in a 'normal', balanced guitar. The Custom Custom is easily my favorite.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Custom 5 tone depends on the guitar to some extent, but I always used it in bright Fender style guitars. Once rolling the tone control down to 7/10ths, it cures the brightness and isn't obviously scooped sounding any more.

Comment

Get an Alnico 3 RC magnet in there. Trust me, it makes the Custom godlike!
        I tired, Custom, Custom 5, Custom 2, Custom 5 UO&RC (this one is second best), Custom 4 and finally Custom 3 - haven\t looked back since the Custom 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Anficht View Post
          Get an Alnico 3 RC magnet in there. Trust me, it makes the Custom godlike!
          I tired, Custom, Custom 5, Custom 2, Custom 5 UO&RC (this one is second best), Custom 4 and finally Custom 3 - haven\t looked back since the Custom 3.
          I've never tried a RCA3 in a SH-5 (Custom 5). But I use the RCA3 in my 59N and Antiquity N neck humbuckers. Great for clean chords and for soloing.

In the bridge humbuckers I use (59B or Antiquity B) I didn't like RCA3 or RCA4 either.

Just doesn't push my amp hard enough. A little too polite. Couldn't get the Clapton w/Cream and Eric Johnson violin tones I like.

But the Custom is a different pickup with more turns of copper so I don't know how RCA3 would sound in that.

I had a Strat that I tried the Custom (ceramic), Custom Custom (A2) and Custom 5 (A5) in.

All three are the same pickup with different magnets but I didn't swap magnets back then. I actually tried three different pickups.

I found the Custom 5 to be midrange scooped and overly edgey or sharp. Not the kind of tone I feel comfortable with.

The Custom Custom was just the opposite and pretty cool! Less bass, less treble and more mids with kind of compressed but chewy feel. Kind of like chewing on a squishy caramel. I liked it but not enough to keep it.

The Custom I liked best of all but it does have that "ceramic" sound. Not as organic or squishy as I like but I found it to be the most usable of the three.

I'm not really a fan of HOT humbuckers. 59's, Seth Lovers and Antiquitys are what I've settled on. But I do swap magnets. RCA3 or RCA2 in the neck and RCA2 in the bridge.

I'd rather set my amp up for clean tones and then use an overdrive pedal for those sweet violin-like tones I prefer.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-06-2020, 12:22 PM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
            I've never tried a RCA3 in a SH-5 (Custom 5). But I use the RCA3 in my 59N and Antiquity N neck humbuckers. Great for clean chords and for soloing.

In the bridge humbuckers I use (59B or Antiquity B) I didn't like RCA3 or RCA4 either.

Just doesn't push my amp hard enough. A little too polite. Couldn't get the Clapton w/Cream and Eric Johnson violin tones I like.

But the Custom is a different pickup with more turns of copper so I don't know how RCA3 would sound in that.

I had a Strat that I tried the Custom (ceramic), Custom Custom (A2) and Custom 5 (A5) in.

All three are the same pickup with different magnets but I didn't swap magnets back then. I actually tried three different pickups.

I found the Custom 5 to be midrange scooped and overly edgey or sharp. Not the kind of tone I feel comfortable with.

The Custom Custom was just the opposite and pretty cool! Less bass, less treble and more mids with kind of compressed but chewy feel. Kind of like chewing on a squishy caramel. I liked it but not enough to keep it.

The Custom I liked best of all but it does have that "ceramic" sound. Not as organic or squishy as I like but I found it to be the most usable of the three.

I'm not really a fan of HOT humbuckers. 59's, Seth Lovers and Antiquitys are what I've settled on. But I do swap magnets. RCA3 or RCA2 in the neck and RCA2 in the bridge.

I'd rather set my amp up for clean tones and then use an overdrive pedal for those sweet violin-like tones I prefer.
            Based on what you say, I'd definitely give the RCA3 Custom a try.
            It takes some of the hotness away, but the hot wind counteracts the weaker magnet field of the A3 magnet, resulting in a big tone, with everything sounding blanced (to my ear) - but not in a A4 bland way.
            It does not have the A2 squishy feel, it does not have the Ceramic presence, it does not have the A5 scooped mids, and not the A4 blandness either. It's sort of a mix of the best qualities of all versions (IMHO).
            Plus it works with all sort of neck pickups. I think you will love it for Clapton tones. Not sure on the Eric Johnson Cream tone. But if you can get the EJ Cream tone with a C5, C2 or CCeramic, you will definitely get it with a C3.
            SOmething always bothered me about the Custom Ceramic, same for the C2, same for the C5, same for the RCUOA5Custom. Not so whith the C3. I think it's the perfect Custom like this.

Comment

Working...
            X