banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G12H30 mix with G12EVH (Greenback) in a 4x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G12H30 mix with G12EVH (Greenback) in a 4x12?

I love my EVH 4X12 with G12EVH speakers (Heritage Greenbacks), but one thing I'd love is for it to have tighter low end. Not a fan of V30s, and I suspect T75s are probably just a bad match, volume wise.

But why not some H30s? I know that these conversations usually wind up with people warning about the inevitable volume mismatch, that this is effectively just turning a 4x12 into a 2x12. I really am skeptical that this would be a real problem with this particular combo, however. The G12EVH, though labeled as 20 watts, are supposedly closer to 25-30 watts, per the dozens of conversations that have popped up around the internet pointing out the EVH 4X12 is rated at 100 watts.

Whatever the actual wattage mismatch might be between these two sets of speakers, we're talking about 5-10 watt different at the most, and most likely they're on the closer end in terms of power. I've seen cabs that come stock with speaker combos with bigger wattage differences than this. It strikes me that throwing some H30s on the bottom or in an X pattern would be the ideal way to add some tightness to the lowend of the Greenbacks.

Of course, I'll never know until I try it. But I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this.

Re: G12H30 mix with G12EVH (Greenback) in a 4x12?

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In terms of loudness G12H30's are a mismatch to the G12EVH's. I have some G12EVH speakers and they are much quieter than 100 db speakers. The wattage rating doesn't matter to how loud the speaker is. Additionally, The power handling of the cab will be the lowest rated speaker x the number speakers in the circuit.
      G12EVH= 96db sensitivity.
      G12H30 = 100 db sensitivity.

Nonetheless, I have mixed V30's with the G12EVHs in a 4x12 and the V30's did not dominate them too much. I also find that a H magnet speaker tightens up the bottom end better than smaller magnet speakers.

Just put the louder speakers on the bottom.
      Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 07-03-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

t75 and greenbacks are a perfect match in tone and volume,,,,,,,,do it

Comment

I was always afraid, that mixing speakers would somehow damage the amp? :o

I can't be right, when "everybody" is mixing up speakers with no issues .

Too bad I only got a single 12" xD
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I've had cabs with Greenbacks and 60s and Greenbacks with 70s.

This was so I could get the Greenback Mids combined with big bottom end and feedback.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I used to have a cab with two EVH's mixed with two V30's. V30's were definitely more dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                I can't be right, when "everybody" is mixing up speakers with no issues .
                Bogner's had the Uberkab out for ages which mixes T75's and V30's. No problem at all as long as the ohm rating of the speakers match.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-04-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

i like the g12h30 a lot but i think the 75 might be a better match for you since they are closer in sensativity

Comment

Ah thanks folks! I was mistaken it seems, about the relationship between power handling and volume. Maybe I'll look into t75s instead, it seems that's the better move. I can definitely see those two types of speaker playing nice. I don't hate the sound of the 75, but I worry they could be ear fatiguing after awhile. Maybe that wouldn't be the case mixed with the Greenie.

Comment

Put the bright speakers on the bottom if you're worried about ear fatigue. Then they're not beaming into your ears all night.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                      X