DROP C FOR 4 STRING BASS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DROP C FOR 4 STRING BASS!!!

Hi to all, I have a 4 string fender jazz style bass, but I need to tune it to Drop C, and im not sure what string gauge too use with him... I need a good tension for recording

Re: DROP C FOR 4 STRING BASS!!!

If you mean C standard, get a five string set, and discard the highest string. You’ll need to have the nut pulled and set aside, and a new nut made to accept the fat strings. Keep the original nut in a safe place, so you can easily go back to standard strings in the future.

If you mean D standard with a drop C, get the La Bella D-Tuna set. You’ll need nut slot widening, but not a replacement nut. At a C, the 4th string will have to be run high, as it’s only a .111”.

If you mean E standard with a drop C, get a five string set, and discard the E (4th) string. String it with the B, A, D, and G strings, and tune the B string to C. You’ll need to widen just the low string nut slot.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-03-2020, 04:47 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tone-what-is.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	5820999
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My bass is in D standard and I use 45,60,80,110. A balanced set I made. It's kind of loose but not too bad. To not have the C string flappy you could do 45,60,80,120. Use a string tension calculator to ballpark what gauges you think you'd like. Packs are gonna suck cuz the 4th string is the loosest in them anyways and then it's gonna be worse with the drop. But whateva.

The Stringjoy Guitar String Tension Calculator is the easiest and best tool to build the perfect balanced tension set of strings for your guitar or bass.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
        X