banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Artificial Intelligence to keep track of your pedal settings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Artificial Intelligence to keep track of your pedal settings.

Hello guys, I've been working on an app to keep track of your guitar pedal settings and I would love to know what you think!

TLDR

- Take a picture of your pedal.
    - Let the AI identify the knobs, calculate their values, and assign their labels.
    - The app generates a set of virtual knobs matching your real pedal's
    - Tweak the virtual knobs to your liking.

A super quick demo:

I want to make this app useful to all of you so I would like to know what you think. If there's something you would like to change or if there's a feature you would like to see in the app.

There's a longer video here where I explain the rest of the features like:

- Recording audio clips of your pedal sounds (they will be stored in the cloud so you never lose them).
    - Take notes for each of your pedal settings.
    - Share all that with other guitarists.
    - Discover what pedals other guitarists use and how they use them.

This is still in progress but I'll have a beta version soon so anyone can test it. And really, any feedback you'd like to provide will be very appreciated!

In the meantime, I will keep posting updates on this thread and on the project's Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Thanks!

Re: Using Artificial Intelligence to keep track of your pedal settings.

It's a cool idea. -I'll check out.

Hey, honestly almost more important than individual tweaks on a pedal is recording how tweak affect the pedals downstream with their tweaks -as stacking multiple pedals is where most people get their own "sound' and variations on that sound they want to track. -or at least what would concern people using this kind of app in the first place

So I know thats gotta be a road map thing due to enormous comparative complexity, but consider a more comprehensive tone permutation tracking feature in your plans.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      It's a cool idea. -I'll check out.

Hey, honestly almost more important than individual tweaks on a pedal is recording how tweak affect the pedals downstream with their tweaks -as stacking multiple pedals is where most people get their own "sound' and variations on that sound they want to track. -or at least what would concern people using this kind of app in the first place

So I know thats gotta be a road map thing due to enormous comparative complexity, but consider a more comprehensive tone permutation tracking feature in your plans.

Thanks for the feedback! I want to develop a similar feature to what you are saying so your feedback is really helpful! I need to estimate how long it would take to develop but it is certainly possible.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

That is really cool! I totally dig the marriage between such an analog thing like pedal settings and the digital world. Great idea!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Interesting.
          About 30 years ago Neill Young had someone build him "the whizzer". Essentially it was a digital device that would turn the analog knobs on his amp to the exact place that a setting saved them to. I always wanted one.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            That is really cool! I totally dig the marriage between such an analog thing like pedal settings and the digital world. Great idea!
            Thanks a lot! Let me know if you have any suggestion!

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Interesting.
            About 30 years ago Neill Young had someone build him "the whizzer". Essentially it was a digital device that would turn the analog knobs on his amp to the exact place that a setting saved them to. I always wanted one.

That is very interesting! Would love to see one working!
            Last edited by jdelva; 07-03-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdelva View Post
              Thanks a lot! Let me know if you have any suggestion!

That is very interesting! Would love to see one working!
              I'm pretty sure that it was a unit that bolted on to his Fender Twin. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Interesting.

Originally posted by CASWELL AMPLIFICATION
                  The "#39" is no longer merely the legendary, magical (and seemingly perpetually elusive), 80's vintage Tim Caswell Marshall mod found on what "very well might be one of the most influential, and mysterious, amps in rock 'n' roll history," it is now a motorized pot, MIDI programmable and controllable 50/100 watt amp head boasting a totally analog pristine signal path. 128 presets, and fully user customizable functions include 6 classic amp circuits: 1959 bright, 1959 normal, MK2 master, MK2 master with Stage 1 #39, MK2 master #39GL, and MK2 master #36, making this rugged "smart-head" simply irresistible and absolutely phenomenal!

B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by jdelva View Post
                    Hello guys, I've been working on an app to keep track of your guitar pedal settings and I would love to know what you think!

TLDR

- Take a picture of your pedal.
                    - Let the AI identify the knobs, calculate their values, and assign their labels.
                    - The app generates a set of virtual knobs matching your real pedal's
                    - Tweak the virtual knobs to your liking.

A super quick demo:

I want to make this app useful to all of you so I would like to know what you think. If there's something you would like to change or if there's a feature you would like to see in the app.

There's a longer video here where I explain the rest of the features like:

- Recording audio clips of your pedal sounds (they will be stored in the cloud so you never lose them).
                    - Take notes for each of your pedal settings.
                    - Share all that with other guitarists.
                    - Discover what pedals other guitarists use and how they use them.

This is still in progress but I'll have a beta version soon so anyone can test it. And really, any feedback you'd like to provide will be very appreciated!

In the meantime, I will keep posting updates on this thread and on the project's Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Thanks!
                    Cool idea... You are offering a standardized way to handle pics of pedal settings. I think gathering that data could be very helpful for pedal designers, who could see using this "big data" what people are doing with their pedals. For example, if some pedal does not get used at all in a certain setting (with the knobs adjusted one way - say a TS and all the guitar players are using it with no drive sorta tone at noon and volume maxed), then the manufacturer may do a refinement accounting for this in the next version.

See?

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

This is a cool concept I could see a lot of people using but for me this is a total waste of time.

I turn the knobs until they sound good and I don't care to share my settings with the world :P

nice work tho.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Interesting.

A local musician has asked me if I can build one. It's quite an ambitious project.

To the OP, cool idea. I'll be watching this.

Comment

Is there any way to do this with digital pedals where there are multiple patches involved such as a delay unit like the Duncan Andromeda?

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                            Cool idea... You are offering a standardized way to handle pics of pedal settings. I think gathering that data could be very helpful for pedal designers, who could see using this "big data" what people are doing with their pedals. For example, if some pedal does not get used at all in a certain setting (with the knobs adjusted one way - say a TS and all the guitar players are using it with no drive sorta tone at noon and volume maxed), then the manufacturer may do a refinement accounting for this in the next version.

See?

B
                            That is a totally valid point! What you said also benefits the AI. The more pictures are provided to it, the better it can become at identifying knobs. Thanks for your answer!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                            This is a cool concept I could see a lot of people using but for me this is a total waste of time.

I turn the knobs until they sound good and I don't care to share my settings with the world :P

nice work tho.
                            It's all good! There are many guitarists that never change their pedals and that's totally fine! One reason why I'm making this idea public is to gather opinions and get to know how many guitarists would use the app so I can know before launch if it can succeed or not. I hope it does! haha

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            Is there any way to do this with digital pedals where there are multiple patches involved such as a delay unit like the Duncan Andromeda?

Yes! You'll be able to clone settings so you don't have to take multiple pictures of the same pedal. This way you just change the knobs in the app to match your different settings. I'm also adding a feature to group settings, so you can group them by pedal, by effect, by pedalboard, or whatever works for you.

So for example, let's say you have 5 settings you like on your Andromeda. Then in the app you can:

- Create a group called Andromeda Settings
                            - Take a picture of the pedal and let the app identify your first setting.
                            - Clone that setting 4 more times and tweak the knobs in the app so they match your Andromeda settings (but you can also just keep taking pictures and let the AI do everything).
                            - On each setting saved you can choose to save it in the Andromeda group.
                            - You'll then have your 5 settings under the same group.

What do you think? Let me know if that works for you or if you have any suggestion!

Comment

Here are a couple more quick demos on other pedals in case you want to watch 'em!

EHX Little Big Muff Pi

Comment

Working...
                              X