Vintage (Jazz) Blues set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage (Jazz) Blues set

Sounds terrif! I put a 59 set in my jazz ax and doctored them up. They have brass baseplates and I put a double thick A2/A5 in the neck with the A5 on top and a double thick A2/A3 with the A2 on top in the bridge. The ax has 11-52 flatwounds on it. The neck is the flagship throaty, bassy, jazz tone and the bridge gives a more percussive jazz or blues tone. Neck/middle position sounds great too. I love the dark, Gibsony sound the 59 set has.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage blues.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	5854678

Name:	20200703_193429.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	5854679
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-03-2020, 07:40 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Vintage (Jazz) Blues set

I like the idea of an alternative positions of the bridge pickups. I wouldn't go so much into the middle: the middle is soundwise not so far from the neck and its in way when strumming. But thats just me.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

It's my JAZZ guitar. Jazz isn't played on the bridge pickup.

But ya. My Mustang (green guitar in the photo) has the bridge pickup 2" away from the saddles. Sounds pretty good. It seems to be at the absolute limit to where it still sounds crunchy like a bridge pickup. 1.75" or 1.5" away from the saddles could be cool. 1.25" or 1" seems to be the norm.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 07-04-2020, 03:02 AM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        It's my JAZZ guitar. Jazz isn't played on the bridge pickup.

But ya. My Mustang (green guitar in the photo) has the bridge pickup 2" away from the saddles. Sounds pretty good. It seems to be at the absolute limit to where it still sounds crunchy like a bridge pickup. 1.75" or 1.5" away from the saddles could be cool. 1.25" or 1" seems to be the norm.
        I hear ya. I have a humbucker in a superstrat with 1 1/8" from the saddle to the bobbin edge and its still a bit too hard.
        Last edited by hamerfan; 07-04-2020, 06:33 AM.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I love the set of 59's I put in my PRS SE Singlecut.

I liked them stock, but after changing the magnets to a roughcast A3 in the neck and roughcast A2 in the bridge, they sound as sweet as the Antiquitys in my other SE Singlecut and the Seth Lovers in my other SE Singlecut. I have three.

I also put a set of 59's with those Addiction FX RCA3 and RCA2 magnets in my brother Bruce's Epiphone Les Paul too. Sounds as good as good can get!

The 59 set is one of my favorite sets and a great platform for magnet swapping.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-04-2020, 10:33 PM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

^ The 59s are for sure sweet. They're classy too! My favorite thing about them is they're voiced so well that they can be bassy but still character rich. Plus you can adjust how much bass you want with the mag swaps. I went for full fat obviously. So you get a mid way warm tone with your set up for blues playing?

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            I hear ya. I have a humbucker in a superstrat with 1 1/8" from the saddle to the bobbin edge and its still a bit too hard.
            That sux about the clank. Double thick mags really help with that.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 07-04-2020, 10:28 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

I think it would be a GREAT IDEA for everyone on this forum to purchase:

1. A set of Duncan 59's. 59N and 59B.

2. Two of each of these magnets: A2 A3 A4 A5 & A8. Order them ROUGHCAST because I like them best and because the 59's have polished A5 and if you swap those for roughcast you'll know how both types affect the sound.

Put the 59's in an "extra" guitar, play it, and then do some magnet swapping.

You will learn SO MUCH!
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Here's the demo. The middle playing West Coast Blues then the neck playing Misty. Notice the middle is kind of thuddy maybe like the old skool jazzers playing on a neck single coil. I can darken things more than that. I'm playing with the tone disengaged but the 100k resistor on the 300k volume. Welp, looks like the tone was on 9.

Last edited by Clint 55; 07-06-2020, 12:49 AM.
                I bought them for you

Comment

That sounds great!

Comment

Thx!
                    I bought them for you

Comment

I completed this pickguard today for a #2 jazz strat. It has a zingier sound with Phat Cats, 500k volume, roundwounds, graph tech nut, brass saddles, and the somewhat brighter woods.

Name:	20200707_214250.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	5821029
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 07-07-2020, 09:47 PM.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Incoming is a new warmoth build with a tele body and a Seth set.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

The PCs is a 8.5k PC bridge in the neck which is the most dynamic pup I've ever played. The neck or the bridge model in the neck. Then there's my 12k custom shop PC in the middle which is actually darker and thuddy. I'm wondering if the middle position would benefit from a lighter wind. I could get a PC neck for the neck then move the PC bridge to the middle. I think the middle position is just gonna be thud anyways tho. I dunno if it would improve anything. Probably just be thinner. In the 59 guitar, the 8.5k 59b in the middle isn't all epicly dynamic, just kind of thuddy. I don't think it would improve anything.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 07-08-2020, 11:36 AM.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I got my roundwound jazz ax on the left dialed. (I think.) I put a Sethb in the neck with a double thick A2/A5 with the A2 on top and my Fralin Pure PAF bridge in the middle with a double thick A2. I was debating to put the full Seth set in or not but I'm glad I went with the Fralin. It's a way different sound, is more scooped, but with good power and thickness, yet still has good PAF character to compliment the Seth in the neck. The Phat Cats are epic but still too thin and immediate for me for jazz. Single coils are a novelty to me lol.

The next order of business is to work the frets on my 11" warmoth neck that arrived and swap out the 10" neck on the flatwound ax on the right. I couldn't friggin play on the 10" neck, always having to wrap my fingers around the curve for either chords or melody. I might have kept it but I screwed it up and put too much fallaway in so it's leaving.

Name:	Jazz axs.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5821091
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 07-14-2020, 06:36 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                            X