Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistive LoadBox

Hi Guys,

I've done a recent resistive loadbox to take along with my 12W 6v6 amp (a Supro clone) for a while. I simply cannot carry and use a real cab.

This one that I did uses a 25W 8 Ohm resistor and has a circuit for a line output and treble bleed... I take the signal from this "hot" box and do some cabin simulation with IR's on the computer. I've done the following with my 98 MIA Blues Jr. and 76 Deluxe (no pedals; the master at the amp is 12 all the way up, volume is like 6, bass/mids/treble are all maxed). The cab sim, comp etc. are done via the soundcard on the computer. The cab sim is LeCab2 and RedWirez' Marshall 1960 cab with v30's; TDR comp and eq; Classic plugins' reverb and delay.

Here is the layout of the beast:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MS Paint _ Microsoft Paint Online.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	5854680

I think it is quite a usable box. It is resistive... the next step is to have 2 inductors and do a Aiken type of reactive load... But this should do for this summer.

Best,

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Resistive LoadBox

I don't know why I've posted this in the guitar section...

Sorry!

My bad.

B

Comment

Moved for you. It is a really cool idea, too!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks

B

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
          Hi Guys,

I've done a recent resistive loadbox to take along with my 12W 6v6 amp (a Supro clone) for a while. I simply cannot carry and use a real cab.

This one that I did uses a 25W 8 Ohm resistor and has a circuit for a line output and treble bleed... I take the signal from this "hot" box and do some cabin simulation with IR's on the computer. I've done the following with my 98 MIA Blues Jr. and 76 Deluxe (no pedals; the master at the amp is 12 all the way up, volume is like 6, bass/mids/treble are all maxed). The cab sim, comp etc. are done via the soundcard on the computer. The cab sim is LeCab2 and RedWirez' Marshall 1960 cab with v30's; TDR comp and eq; Classic plugins' reverb and delay.

Here is the layout of the beast:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105618[/ATTACH]

I think it is quite a usable box. It is resistive... the next step is to have 2 inductors and do a Aiken type of reactive load... But this should do for this summer.

Best,

B
          Sorry... some bits of the graph is in Turkish...

T is Ground and S for Signal (Hot).

B

Comment

I did this yesterday... on a backtrack. Using my Blues Jr. and 76 Deluxe... No pedals in general, just a TS around the end.

This box works.

B

Comment

Sounds damn good to me! Great playing and tone.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Resistive loadboxes are cool, but try a reactive loadbox (with air coil) sometime... noticeable difference in tone.

Just make sure you have diodes in that reactive loadbox, so the flyback voltages don't fry your amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Sounds damn good to me! Great playing and tone.
                  Thanks!

B

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                    Resistive loadboxes are cool, but try a reactive loadbox (with air coil) sometime... noticeable difference in tone.

Just make sure you have diodes in that reactive loadbox, so the flyback voltages don't fry your amp.
                    Aiken's does not have any diodes? Bipolar caps tho.

I have been planing to build a good dummy load box to my tube amp with a line-out, then re-amp with a quality Solid-State Power Amp into my Guitar Cab. After some research Aikens design seems to load the Tube amp like a speaker would...

Captor is fine but it does not have the treble inductor I think... Suhr reactive load is cool but expensive and does not come with the goodies that Two Notes Captor does. I wanna do one, one of them Aiken's... hence, the question.

B

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                      Aiken's does not have any diodes? Bipolar caps tho.

I have been planing to build a good dummy load box to my tube amp with a line-out, then re-amp with a quality Solid-State Power Amp into my Guitar Cab. After some research Aikens design seems to load the Tube amp like a speaker would...

Captor is fine but it does not have the treble inductor I think... Suhr reactive load is cool but expensive and does not come with the goodies that Two Notes Captor does. I wanna do one, one of them Aiken's... hence, the question.

B
                      I don't know what the Aiken does or doesn't have... you'd have to see a circuit diagram or picture of the internals.

Comment

B

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiken (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	5821179

B

Comment

Working...
                          X