2 'bucker wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 'bucker wiring help

The guitar is an Eastwood Backlund 400 DLX.
    I want to change the pickups to 2 Dimarzios (Bluesbucker and Evo2).
    However, I just want the 3-way toggle switch to work regular:
    1) Bridge only
    2) Bridge/Neck
    3) Neck only

If it was wired this way, I'd have no questions- I would have known enough about wiring to do it myself.
    But (according to the specs) position 2 is the Bridge/Neck both WITH BOTH COILS SPLIT. So What do I have to do to put in the new pickups so that neither pickups have their coils' split in position 2?
    As most probably know here- Dimarzio humbuckers (wired in series) are red wire= hot, green/bare= ground, black/white soldered together.
    I have never seen the insides of a 3 way toggle switch look like this however?#!@~ I've only seen the inside of a standard 3 way toggle.
    IMG_0689.jpg (34.8 KB)
    Attached Files

Re: 2 'bucker wiring help

Do I just clip the white wire that's on the toggle? Because the yellow and red wire are obviously the hot wires from each pickup and the silver ground wire is obvious.

Comment

That switch doesn't have the lugs or capability to split the pickups. It simply has the 2 hot wires entering and the output wire (white) exiting to the volume pot.
      If you were simply to solder and tape the series connection of both new pickup on install, then you would get your desired switching.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        That switch doesn't have the lugs or capability to split the pickups. It simply has the 2 hot wires entering and the output wire (white) exiting to the volume pot.
        If you were simply to solder and tape the series connection of both new pickup on install, then you would get your desired switching.
        Seconding AlexR's assessment. That switch is just an enclosed style 3 way switch. The auto-coilsplitting that you originally described could be accomplished by a 4PDT type switch, and that kind of switch would have 3 additional rows of 3 lugs. Would attach a pic that is an example of this (Music Man John Petrucci guitar wiring), but the Attach Photo option is not currently working on this forum.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Okay- Thanks.
          It seems that the coils aren't split in position 2. I guess the specs were wrong.
          I did try tapping both sides of the buckers with a screwdriver (while in the middle position) and they both seemed on, but it was hard to be sure because it's a solid pickcover (no bare screw coil). Thanks again!

Comment

Even with a cover on, you'd hear one side of a humbucker being quieter if it was split and you tapped on it.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Even with a cover on, you'd hear one side of a humbucker being quieter if it was split and you tapped on it.
              That's what I thought, too.
              I went back to the specs and couldn't find any mention of the coil tapping.
              I think I read a review of it and the reviewer was mistaken about it.

Good.
              Simple pickup changeout. I just hope it won't require any routing.
              The body's pretty thick, so I'm going to hope the cavity will be deep enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pep2019 View Post
                That's what I thought, too.
                I went back to the specs and couldn't find any mention of the coil tapping.
                I think I read a review of it and the reviewer was mistaken about it.

Good.
                Simple pickup changeout. I just hope it won't require any routing.
                The body's pretty thick, so I'm going to hope the cavity will be deep enough.
                Let us know how this turns out.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Let us know how this turns out.
                  will do-
                  thanks for the concern

Comment

That's a beautiful guitar! I love it.

Comment