banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strat quarter pound noisy switch in 1/3/5 in 2/4 silent position why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat quarter pound noisy switch in 1/3/5 in 2/4 silent position why?

noisy quarter pound with switch in position 1/3/5/ in a silent 2/4 position why ?
    The stratocaster is wired with a 5-way switch
    and screen with copper film with another set of pickups I do not have this problem
    I can not figure out how to fix or is a feature of pickups ?

thank you for your help
    zappa98

Re: strat quarter pound noisy switch in 1/3/5 in 2/4 silent position why?

Do you have a set with a dedicated RW/RP middle pickup? If so you'll get humcancelling in the #2 and #4 switch positions and the other three will not be be humcancelling and you'll get the normal hum all single coil Strat pickups have. That's life.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

My guess is that the middle position pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity, so when it is used in positions 2 & 4, in conjunction with a non-reverse wound/reverse polarity pickup, it cancels hum. In 1, 3,& 5, it is a regular single coil alone, so you have hum.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you for the clear and correct answer
        on the same guitar that I personally made entirely from raw wood I mounted a fender set GEN4 of course I'm noiseless but even a classic 59 set the problem did not show up and for this I asked if you could solve with the QPs that I find very good with an excellent sound for my taste I will leave them mounted and in the live when I do not play I put in position 2/4 to silence
        Thank you
        zappa98

Comment

The noiseless pups and the 59 are dual coil (humbucker) pups so they won't hum in any position. Only single coil pups will hum when played alone (positions 1,3 and 5)..
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The Quarter Pounder is a noisy single coil. You may need more shielding in your cavity and grounding, but it won’t be a totally hum free pickup. You’ll need a humbucking single like the hot stack, hot rails, etc for quiet operation with a hot single or get a noise gate.

Comment

Working...
            X