banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lace Sensor Dually Gold: This a good pickup for a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lace Sensor Dually Gold: This a good pickup for a Strat?

I'm battling between getting a lower output PAF style pickup and a Dually Gold in my HSS Strat bridge. Currently have a JB in there mounted diagonally EVH/BJA style. While it's not a terrible pickup, I'm just tired of it. Something is just unpleasant about it, it has a weird scooped chunkiness that I don't care for.

I'm leaning toward putting a Dually Gold in there. I already have a Les Paul with a Lollar Imperial, so I have plenty of classic humbucker PAF tone on tap for when I want that. I really want that nice refreshing Strat shine rather than just another humbucker guitar. The Dually Gold appeals to me because it's low output, humbucker sized so I won't need to get a new pickguard (the bridge opening in my Strat has been mangled a bit so I don't know if a single coil sized PU would be able to go there without being loose or falling in) and I can choose between the "humbucker" mode, or split it into single mode.

Is this a good move? Would I fare better with a different Lace Sensor maybe? The Red seems too close to what I already have with the JB, and I don't often hear about any of the other ones being used in the bridge.

Re: Lace Sensor Dually Gold: This a good pickup for a Strat?

My US strat plus deluxe from the late 80s or early 90s had stock lace sensor single coil pickups. I tried red, blue, gold and silver.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't like them too much. Muffled and low output. I didn't realize it until I switched the pickups.

I'd consider an alnico 2 based pickups because alnico 5 are known to scoop mids by ear. For low output maybe the A2P. I have it in a frankenstrat and it's very versatile. If you want hotter there's the PG, 78, slash. The slash apparently has tons of mids.

Comment

I'm a fan of most Lace Sensor stuff, especially the Dually Gold.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The closest pickup to the Dually Gold is probably the Stag Mag...2 vintage-style Strat Pickups wired together in series. It is a different sound than a vintage style PAF like the 59 or Seth Lover.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lace sensors are really good clean. I'm less impressed with them for distorted sounds. Since the Lace sensors are shielded they are darker sounding than most single coils and when you put two of them together in series they are even darker than most humbuckers. The resonant peak of the Lace sensors are as low as 2 or 1.2 kHz. Something that you can do with the Dually is use a on/on/on mini-toggle so you can get bridge-coil/humbucker/neck-coil. You can do the same with any 4-conductor pickup but it won't be hum canceling in two positions. Lace sensors also combine well with other Lace sensors if you want to combine multiple positions with a super switch.

Comment

Working...
          X