banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender and Gibson don't use "aftermarket" pickups anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender and Gibson don't use "aftermarket" pickups anymore?

More pics of the JB Nocaster prototype using SD pickups.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
      More pics of the JB Nocaster prototype using SD pickups.

I bet that is one hell of a pickup...probably one to challenge the Jerry Donahue. Hopefully Joe will make some clips.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yikes, Tapatalk really compressed that photo. Here's a link to the IG post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCZln1nJ...=1ccyckz3lyx65

I'll post a video once he jams with the guitar. Looks like he's been playing a Brown Deluxe with a Rangemaster lately.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
          This whole pickup thing, I think, is too traditional. We should be a bit more like the bass players! More open to new stuff and actively demand new stuff...

Seriously!

The thing is, no manufacturer is doing a pickup based on P-Bass split neck, right? So the bottom 3 non-wound strings could be handled with a say HB pickup that sounds thick and powerful for single string note runs, while the wound strings could be handled with a single coil pickup to keep the twangyness and liveliness on them wound strings.

The only one that came closest was the Z design no, of G&L... Z coil. But I dunno their details, maybe not related.

This is just one suggestion... there are tons of others...

B
          I've been doing a mod like that on neck buckers for years.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
            I've been doing a mod like that on neck buckers for years.
            Care to elaborate?

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
              This whole pickup thing, I think, is too traditional. We should be a bit more like the bass players! More open to new stuff and actively demand new stuff...
              As a fan of ridiculously over the top designs and electronics on bass, I do not think they have much of a place on guitar. Likewise, I don’t think the passive simple wirings on guitar really belong on bass.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                PRS does a partial split. (DGT for example) I’m not 100% on how that one works, if it’s a tap on one coil or a resistor Wired like fixed Spin-A-Split. ArtieToo, do you know?
                Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
                It's a resistor. Not 100% positive it's the same as spin-a-split, but it most likely is. Just a fixed amount rather than adjustable.
                Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Sorry. I don't. But it sounds interesting.
                It is indeed wired like the Spin-A-Split, only using fixed resistors instead of a pot: 1.1K for the neck pickup and 2.2K for the bridge.
                These values work well for most PAF type and vintage-hot humbuckers. Hotter winds generally don't need the help.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I bet that is one hell of a pickup...probably one to challenge the Jerry Donahue. Hopefully Joe will make some clips.
                  Zhangbucker makes a 9.5K/A5 Tele bridge pickup called the Paul Bunyan.
                  My favorite Tele bridge so far. Extra beef, still pure Tele attitude.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    It is indeed wired like the Spin-A-Split, only using fixed resistors instead of a pot: 1.1K for the neck pickup and 2.2K for the bridge.
                    These values work well for most PAF type and vintage-hot humbuckers. Hotter winds generally don't need the help.
                    Even then, it seriously helps with the volume drop.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

As Gibson and Fender invented their respective pickup types, have spent over 90% of their existence only ever speccing and making their own pickups, this thread has more than just a little missed the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        Why spend pennies extra for a product most of your customer's won't use? The market suggests that the more profitable alternative would be for them to charge extra for a wiring harness that would allow for the user to quickly change in that companies proprietary pickups that the customer would have paid extra for.

If, like you said, all stock pickups are trash, then why would guitar companies pay extra so that a handful of people can more conviently use someone else's product?
                        Never said anywhere that all stock pickups are trash. Maybe you are referring to someone else.
                        Also never said that all Seymour/Dimarzio pickups should come with Gibson quick-connect. I said they Gibson quick-connect should be offer as an option, but that quick-connect is like $0.25 so it's no big deal to put it on a $99 pickup and can be easily cutoff (should be only on Gibson targeted pickups, not strat/tele pickups). SD is offering its BYOP but only for Strats and not available in any online store I searched.
                        Anyway, back to OP.

Comment

Working...
                        X