banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender and Gibson don't use "aftermarket" pickups anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender and Gibson don't use "aftermarket" pickups anymore?

Zhangbucker makes something called the Splat, where the "split" wire is actually a tap part way into one coil, so when split you get all of one coil and part of the other.

This partial split is a bit different from PRS' resistor version. With the Splat you get the full signal from a shortened section of wire, whereas with resistor split you're getting an attenuated signal from the whole coil.

In practice, I'm not sure there would be any audible difference between the two methods.

IME resistor splits work really well. Just figured it was worth mentioning the Splat.

David winds some fantastic pickups; I've got a number of them.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Remember the good old days when a $600 guitar came from the factory with $100+ pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        PRS does a partial split. (DGT for example) I’m not 100% on how that one works, if it’s a tap on one coil or a resistor Wired like fixed Spin-A-Split. ArtieToo, do you know?
        It's a resistor. Not 100% positive it's the same as spin-a-split, but it most likely is. Just a fixed amount rather than adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          PRS does a partial split. (DGT for example) I’m not 100% on how that one works, if it’s a tap on one coil or a resistor Wired like fixed Spin-A-Split. ArtieToo, do you know?
          Sorry. I don't. But it sounds interesting.

Comment

This whole pickup thing, I think, is too traditional. We should be a bit more like the bass players! More open to new stuff and actively demand new stuff...

Seriously!

The thing is, no manufacturer is doing a pickup based on P-Bass split neck, right? So the bottom 3 non-wound strings could be handled with a say HB pickup that sounds thick and powerful for single string note runs, while the wound strings could be handled with a single coil pickup to keep the twangyness and liveliness on them wound strings.

The only one that came closest was the Z design no, of G&L... Z coil. But I dunno their details, maybe not related.

This is just one suggestion... there are tons of others...

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              Remember the good old days when a $600 guitar came from the factory with $100+ pickups?
              Yeah, that markup was killer. I'm glad stock pickups are improving accross the board to the point where you don't need to buy an $100+ per pickup set for every guitar you own.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Why should they ? Its cheaper to use crappy ones.

Comment

Chris, are they though?

Comment

They are hundreds of good boutique pickup winders now, there's a good chance guitar companies are hiring one of those to develop in-house pickups. No reason guitar stock pickups should sound bad.

Comment

I think aftermarket pickup companies should have sit with guitar companies years ago to develop a standard plug for swapping pickups without a soldering iron.
                      And I don't understand why SD (or Dimarzio or others) is not offering Gibson quick-connect if they want to sell there pickups to Gibson customers. I would try some PG or Slash sets if they were quick-connect. I don't want to ditch the pre-wired board in my LP. And I don't want to buy parts and rewire it either.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                        This whole pickup thing, I think, is too traditional. We should be a bit more like the bass players! More open to new stuff and actively demand new stuff...

Seriously!

The thing is, no manufacturer is doing a pickup based on P-Bass split neck, right? So the bottom 3 non-wound strings could be handled with a say HB pickup that sounds thick and powerful for single string note runs, while the wound strings could be handled with a single coil pickup to keep the twangyness and liveliness on them wound strings.

The only one that came closest was the Z design no, of G&L... Z coil. But I dunno their details, maybe not related.

This is just one suggestion... there are tons of others...

B
                        Railhammer make something similar with blades under the wound strings and poles under the plain strings.
                        Last edited by dystrust; 07-07-2020, 08:02 PM. Reason: Wrong URL
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I won't name names, but there's a pickup hot shot at a very reputable guitar maker and I cannot wait to swap out that crap. It's a recent guitar I bought.

Comment

Seymour Duncan is supplying the pickups for a Fender CS Joe Bonnamasa Nocaster. I guess it just depends on the artist and run of guitars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              Railhammer make something similar with blades under the wound strings and poles under the plain strings.
                              Cool... This is the first time I hear of them.

Thanks.

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                                I think aftermarket pickup companies should have sit with guitar companies years ago to develop a standard plug for swapping pickups without a soldering iron.
                                And I don't understand why SD (or Dimarzio or others) is not offering Gibson quick-connect if they want to sell there pickups to Gibson customers. I would try some PG or Slash sets if they were quick-connect. I don't want to ditch the pre-wired board in my LP. And I don't want to buy parts and rewire it either.
                                Why spend pennies extra for a product most of your customer's won't use? The market suggests that the more profitable alternative would be for them to charge extra for a wiring harness that would allow for the user to quickly change in that companies proprietary pickups that the customer would have paid extra for.

If, like you said, all stock pickups are trash, then why would guitar companies pay extra so that a handful of people can more conviently use someone else's product?
                                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                                X