banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring inquiry regarding my recent project (H-S-H guitar splitting inner coils, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiring inquiry regarding my recent project (H-S-H guitar splitting inner coils, e

After further thought: even easier than using a push-pull pot to take the tone control out of circuit, would be to replace the current tone pot with a No Load Pot. Keep it set at 9 or below for "normal" tone pot behavior, or turn it to 10 and the pot is disconnected from the circuit. You can buy a pot designed like this, or do some DIY to convert a standard pot into a No Load like this:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Re: Wiring inquiry regarding my recent project (H-S-H guitar splitting inner coils, e

Thanks for the suggestions- I think I won't worry about the tone control for now, as it would be getting a little cumbersome with my already-complicated configuration! I think I'll just try to get the neck pickup brighter by raising the screws on the coil which will now be facing the bridge.

I would like to proceed with the on-off-on switch for inner/outer coils, and the "override" 4PDT switch for humbuckers in parallel.

Do these switches below look adequate? Not sure where to source them:

on-off-on:

4PDT:

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
        Thanks for the suggestions- I think I won't worry about the tone control for now, as it would be getting a little cumbersome with my already-complicated configuration! I think I'll just try to get the neck pickup brighter by raising the screws on the coil which will now be facing the bridge.

I would like to proceed with the on-off-on switch for inner/outer coils, and the "override" 4PDT switch for humbuckers in parallel.

Do these switches below look adequate? Not sure where to source them:

on-off-on:

4PDT:

https://guitarpedalparts.com/product...xoC6qYQAvD_BwE
        Eric,

That 4PDT does not have a pic showing its internal switching pattern. 4PDT switches can be one of two designs. Try to choose a 4PDT switch that icnludes such a pic, so i know how to draw the diagram connections for that switch. Here is an alternative:
        Buy two way 4 pole minsi toggle switches and other electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Also, the lugs on the 3PDT don't look like the type normally used for guitar wiring. Those lugs might be difficult to solder to. Here is an alternate source for a 3PDT that would work. BTW, the 3PDT you choose needs to state that it is an "on-off-on" switch. 3PDTs are also available as "on-on-on" but we don't want that for this application.

Three position chrome double pole (DP3T) ON/OFF/ON mini switch with bat handle. Use for coil splitting, series/parallel, reverse phase and other custom functions. Includes two mounting nuts, top flat washer and friction washer. |Mini Switch Specs| | |Positions/Poles:|3-Position/2-Pole| |Switch Type:|DP3T| |Max Volts/Amps:|125V/5A| |Bat Handle Height:|3/8" .375"| |Threaded Shaft Length:|5/16" .3125"| |Threaded Shaft Diameter:|1/4" .25"|
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-14-2020, 07:51 AM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
          Eric,

That 4PDT does not have a pic showing its internal switching pattern. 4PDT switches can be one of two designs. Try to choose a 4PDT switch that icnludes such a pic, so i know how to draw the diagram connections for that switch. Here is an alternative:
          Buy two way 4 pole minsi toggle switches and other electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Also, the lugs on the 3PDT don't look like the type normally used for guitar wiring. Those lugs might be difficult to solder to. Here is an alternate source for a 3PDT that would work. BTW, the 3PDT you choose needs to state that it is an "on-off-on" switch. 3PDTs are also available as "on-on-on" but we don't want that for this application.

https://guitarelectronics.com/double...switch-chrome/
          Awesome. Orders are in!

Comment

Awesome. Orders are in!
            Does that mean you ordered the 4PDT switch in the link I provided?

Comment

Great, thanks.

Here is an updated wiring diagram. FYI: The labeling for the 3rd switch erroneously mentions "output jack" when it should state "volume control". but that's a minor mistake that doesn't impact the actual wiring connections.

Comment

Great, thanks.

Here is an updated wiring diagram. FYI: The labeling for the 3rd switch erroneously mentions "output jack" when it should state "volume control". but that's a minor mistake that doesn't impact the actual wiring connections.

Standby, i am going to issue a revision. I see an opportunity to have just 1 one wire go from the 3rd switch to the volume pot. I will also fix the labeling issue I mentioned earlier while I am at it.
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-15-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Ok, revised diagram attached.

Comment

Ok, revised diagram attached.
                    Amazing work, as usual. Switches should be here in a couple of days!

Comment

Amazing work, as usual. Switches should be here in a couple of days!

Comment

Guitar is back! Sounds better than ever, especially with the neck pickup rotated! I raised the screws, since I wanted a brighter sound, and it seems to have worked wonderfully.

One small issue- I'm actually wondering if something is shorting out:

At first, the on-off-on switch, when splitting, was behaving slightly differently than my previous setup. In superswitch positions 1, 3, and 5, it was activating both pickups at the same time (either inner or outer coils, depending on whether it's "up" or "down"), as opposed to only activating the bridge or neck pickup (split) in positions 1/5).

I opened up the back to take a look (hah- like I could even identify anything other than a loose, unconnected wire...), and then, when I closed it, I'm getting this:

Switch "down," in superswitch "bridge" position, activates the full bridge pickup, and the inner neck coil
                        Switch "up," in superswitch "neck" position, activates the full neck pickup, and the outer bridge coil

Since the functionality changed upon my opening and closing, it provides further evidence to my theory that something is shorting out...

Luckily, using the humbuckers alone and split is not a sound I use often, so I still have tons of other amazing sounds to work with until I sort this out!
                        Last edited by ericcomposer72; 07-24-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Guitar is back! Sounds better than ever, especially with the neck pickup rotated! I raised the screws, since I wanted a brighter sound, and it seems to have worked wonderfully.

One small issue- I'm actually wondering if something is shorting out:

At first, the on-off-on switch, when splitting, was behaving slightly differently than my previous setup. In superswitch positions 1, 3, and 5, it was activating both pickups at the same time (either inner or outer coils, depending on whether it's "up" or "down"), as opposed to only activating the bridge or neck pickup (split) in positions 1/5).

I opened up the back to take a look (hah- like I could even identify anything other than a loose, unconnected wire...), and then, when I closed it, I'm getting this:

Switch "down," in superswitch "bridge" position, activates the full bridge pickup, and the inner neck coil
                          Switch "up," in superswitch "neck" position, activates the full neck pickup, and the outer bridge coil

Since the functionality changed upon my opening and closing, it provides further evidence to my theory that something is shorting out...

Luckily, using the humbuckers alone and split is not a sound I use often, so I still have tons of other amazing sounds to work with until I sort this out!
                          Sorry for the delay, I was away having some beach vacation time!

Two things:

1. yes, for the behavior to change just by you removing and then reinstalling the cover to the control cavity, there appears to be a something shorting out inside.

2. The other humbucker pickup being active when its supposed to be neck only and bridge only, could happen if your tech mixed up where the green and purple wires from the 4PDT switch connect to the superswitch. Green wire needs to go to the pole of the superswitch that handles the Bridge pickup posiitional switching, and purple wire needs to goto the pole of the superswitch that handles the Neck pickup positional switching. See red hashes that i added to that section of the diagram, below. If he accidentally swapped them around as far as where each attaches to the superswitch, then you could have that behavior you described.

Also, this assumes that the pre-existing wiring of the superswitch was not changed at all. This latest diagram required no changes to the superswitch wiring other than adding the two wires that I just described.
                          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-26-2020, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I was away having some beach vacation time!

Two things:

1. yes, for the behavior to change just by you removing and then reinstalling the cover to the control cavity, there appears to be a something shorting out inside.

2. The other humbucker pickup being active when its supposed to be neck only and bridge only, could happen if your tech mixed up where the green and purple wires from the 4PDT switch connect to the superswitch. Green wire needs to go to the pole of the superswitch that handles the Bridge pickup posiitional switching, and purple wire needs to goto the pole of the superswitch that handles the Neck pickup positional switching. See red hashes that i added to that section of the diagram, below. If he accidentally swapped them around as far as where each attaches to the superswitch, then you could have that behavior you described.

Also, this assumes that the pre-existing wiring of the superswitch was not changed at all. This latest diagram required no changes to the superswitch wiring other than adding the two wires that I just described.
                            I think you identified the exact problem. There's a lot going on in there! But I was able to trace the wires visually and the green/purple seem to be reversed. Thanks!

Comment

I think you identified the exact problem. There's a lot going on in there! But I was able to trace the wires visually and the green/purple seem to be reversed. Thanks!
                              Another consequence of that particular wiring switcheroo would be that in both split coil modes, only one of the two humbuckers would be getting split. Don't know if your ear picked that up?

Comment

Working...
                              X