banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joyo "Nascar" analog delay - distorted first repeats?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joyo "Nascar" analog delay - distorted first repeats?!

Hey guys,

last spring I bought a Joyo "Nascar" analog "bucket brigade" delay pedal.

I thought it sounded really nice from day 1.

But after a while, I started to notice that the first (or first two!) repeats were really "distorted" sounding, much more so, than the rest of the echoes...

This is regardless of how much input goes into it, what the "mix" is set to, or delay time.

It once "spun out of control" into feedback while I was messing with the knobs.

I wonder if my pedal is damaged/defective, or that I've just not noticed it's inherent sound until recently.
    (I know analog delays are preferred by many (including me) for their "lo-fi" type of sound).

I apologize if my words are hard to understand / hard to understand what I'm asking about...

"Will/can an analog delay pedal fail in such a way, that only the first one (or two) repeats sound very distorted?"

The rest of the "echoes" sound nice, a bit "lo-fi", as expected.

It's of course, easiest to hear with a very clean tone.

The shop I bought it from, said I could return it for a new one. But if this is how it's supposed to sound (and has been sounding all the time),
    I'll rest my case .

thanks,

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Joyo "Nascar" analog delay - distorted first repeats?!

I think this is one of the 'cool' things about analog delays..the repeats are smeary and distorted. Different pedals will handle this differently- on some, the end repeats are the distorted ones. BTW, I love the spaceship spinning out of control sound...high repeats and spinning the time knob will do that! I love analog delays- I'd love them better if the echoes could get into several seconds, like a digital delay.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah

I got this real, analog "bucket brigade" design, because I love the slightly distorted repeats.

I was just wondering; will playing with self-oscillation (feedback) maybe damage the pedal?

I first noticed the "first two" echoes being "more distorted than the rest", when I put my amp upon a table;

my guess is that this pedal (and all other "nascar delays") sound like this, I didn't just notice it before lately.

(having to hassle with packaging it and shipping it, for a return, is alot of work... and stupid, if all these pedals sound the same.)

It's a cool sound, though- maybe a bit too "lo-fi" for certain applications, when running a "hifi- clean" type of tone. I dig it anyways \m/

Thanks for the answer, Mincer. (My Joyo does a maximum of 600ms, which is about the longest time I need.)
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Once you put the amp on the table, you put it closer to ear level, so that could be the reason you are hearing it now. I have a MXR Carbon Copy that adds a touch of distortion to the my signal. I dont really notice it unless Im playing on the clean side of my amp.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Played the "nascar" again,

doesn't really sound bad at all.

I'll try to plug it into the effects loop (as soon as I get my cables),
          and see how it sounds then

\m/

Comment

Good plan, see which option you like better. I definitely found I preer the delay in the loop vs the front of the amp.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Yeah, especially at high-gain sounds!! ^^

Comment

You won't hurt the delay making spaceship noises. You might hurt your ears, but it is safe. This is something many analog delay users do as an effect..like at the end of a song.

Comment

okay thannks to let me know, Mincer!!

Comment

Bit of a rhetorical question, but I wonder how "NASCAR" plays into the name? I don't get the connection.

Comment

Where is it in your signal chain? Sounds like you are running too hot a signal into it.

But bucket brigades aren’t clean sounding. That’s why digital delays happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        Bit of a rhetorical question, but I wonder how "NASCAR" plays into the name? I don't get the connection.
                        haha, I don't know either...

Maybe it's a "clone" of a well-known american pedal. I can also visualize a bunch of nascar cars driving close to another, and the sound of each one driving by... "wrrm, wwrrm, wwrrm" .

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                          Where is it in your signal chain? Sounds like you are running too hot a signal into it.

But bucket brigades aren’t clean sounding. That’s why digital delays happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I've used it between guitar and amp. It doesn't "clean up" with running less signal into it.

I will soon be using it in the effects loop, just need to order some cables.

I know that it's supposed to sound "dirty", I was just wondering if I might have damaged it, when it went into feedback one time .

-Erl

Comment

The beauty of analog delays is that they make all kinds of weird space sounds. Players like Tommy Bolin made that part of his style. I tend to do this quite a bit, too, originally using an old tape deck as a delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              The beauty of analog delays is that they make all kinds of weird space sounds. Players like Tommy Bolin made that part of his style. I tend to do this quite a bit, too, originally using an old tape deck as a delay.
                              Do you know if making the pedal "self oscillate" might damage the circuit?

Comment

Working...
                              X