G12T-75 question (2x12 cabinet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G12T-75 question (2x12 cabinet)

Question... I’ve got a Carvin Belair 212 (50 watt amp). I replaced the stock speakers with G12T-75s and it sounds a lot better. This is a combo for jamming at home, so probably swap one out for something that will breakup a little easier. I have a Vintage 30 that I can use, but what about something like a Creamback?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: G12T-75 question (2x12 cabinet)

A v30 or creamback won't break up at all. The greenback will break up easier.

Comment

Owned several Carvin Vintage series amps over the years including a coupe of Belairs. What kind of stuff you playing with it and what's going on tone wise you don't like?
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

t75 and greenbacks are a great mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          Owned several Carvin Vintage series amps over the years including a coupe of Belairs. What kind of stuff you playing with it and what's going on tone wise you don't like?
          Thank you for your feedback. The stock speakers were flubby and made a farting sound whenever I used a significant amount of fuzz or distortion. Musically, I’m all over the place from Sabbath and early Zep, to Cream and Beck-era Yardbirds. The speakers I put in are good, just wondering what I can achieve by swapping one out.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
            Awesome. A buddy has one he might trade.

Does anyone have any feedback on Neo Creambacks? I might be able to get my hands on one of those as well

Comment

hmmm
              I have a Belair and a G12T-75
              it is my experience that the G12 is a bit scooped in the mids
              it mates well with the Vintage 30 because of the pronounced midrange in the Vin30

I havent considered putting it in the Belair

mine came with the VR series Carvin speakers that are the pre Chinese 100 watt versions

they sound just fine to me
              I may be tone deaf though
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

One thing to be aware of is how tight those Carvin 2/12 combo boxes are. Had a devil of a time fitting a set of speakers in a MTS combo because the speaker baskets wouldn't clear the transformer and the bottle on the 6L6's with many speakers. Used the same box as the Belair but the Belair has a much smaller transformer and runs the smaller EL 84's so may not be an issue still something to be aware of!!
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Would the volume level of the G12T-75 overpower the Greenback?

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post

Maybe. Just get two Greenbacks to be on the safe side.

Full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of Greenbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post

No. They are both around 97db efficiency.

Comment

I wouldn't say the V30 is the way to go here. It's not as high-headroom as a K-100, but it is pretty not an early breakup speaker in itself. Besides, the V30 is more efficient, so with the amp set to the same volume, it will be noticeably louder.

I would recommend a G12-EVH over a Greenback, personally. It's slightly less efficient, which in this case, is a plus. It also sounds better at lower volumes, IME, and it overall sounds better/more like a vintage Greenback, IMO.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-07-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          You beat me to it.
                          I have 2 2x12 cabs with a 12t-75 and a Splawn Small block one each. The Small Block is a greenback clone but at 55watts.

Comment

He's looking for some speaker breakup. Low wattage is key here.

Comment

How about something that's more like an old Jensen or Weber?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X