Talking Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking Cabs

I will be in the market for a couple of cabs in the near future. I have not bought any new cabs in about 10 years now, but I am looking to keep things lightweight without sacrificing tone.

I am primarily looking for 2x12 guitar cab options, having two that are stackable might be cool. I do not know, have there been any innovations in cab designs in the past decade that I should know about? I only use Cannabis Rex speakers. I will use a few different tube heads with them. I would like custom tolex options if possible... so I am not keen on "off the shelf" options.

I will also be looking to piece together an updated bass rig. I like to use neo magnet speakers for bass cabs. I currently run 2x15s with a GK 1001 RB. I might want to expand that but move my speakers to an updated cab(s).

Talk to me...
    Last edited by Snake Aces; 07-05-2020, 09:43 PM.
    Soundcloud

Re: Talking Cabs

The Bogner 212OS is highly rated as a 4x12 sounding 2x12 because it is an oversized 2x12.

There are "replica" cab makers that can offer exactly what you want to every detail.

Comment

Emperor or Sour Mash are the best custom cab companies I have first-hand experience with. Sour Mash does more classic-style Marshall-type stuff, and Emperor does those beautiful stained wood finish cabs. I've owned an Emperor 2x12 and 6x12 and only sold them because I prefer my Green Matamp cabs.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
        The Bogner 212OS is highly rated as a 4x12 sounding 2x12 because it is an oversized 2x12.

There are "replica" cab makers that can offer exactly what you want to every detail.
        Thank you for the info, I will check into it, although I tried a 4x12 loaded with C-Rex speakers years ago and it almost sounded too big haha. I think the C-Rex speakers sound right at home in a 1x12 or 2x12 setting whereas a mix and match 4x12 with maybe 2 C-Rex speakers is a little more practical for me. So, maybe a Bogner 2x12 with 1 C-Rex would be okay, but I love the C-Rex for the smooth top end, when I start mixing and matching, sometimes I do not like what I hear.
        Soundcloud

Comment

Awesome! I think you posted photos of one of your green cabs once, it looks badass! I kinda want a nice blue and black snakeskin cab...

Although wood stained would be nice, I would have a tough time justifying gigging with it because my cabs always get nicked eventually.

I am going to check out Sour Mash. If anybody around these forums builds custom cabs, hit me up! I am ready to do this on the guitar cab because I want a new cab to motivate me to order the H&K Tubemeister 20 for home use, haha. I am tired of blasting 50 watts into my ear for simple basement jams.

For the bass cabs, I have a target delivery date of November in mind, but I would like to move faster on the guitar cabs. I will check out Sour Mash for now!

Thank you!
          Last edited by Snake Aces; 07-06-2020, 02:42 PM.
          Soundcloud

Comment

I just ordered a matching cab for my Jet City 1x12
            from TRMGuitarCabs ([email protected])
            Tim is very nice and will build to order

2x12
            2 matching 1x12s

on mine, I ordered it the same size and covering as my Jet City but with a cutout for a 15" speaker and an adapter for a 12" in case I change my mind
            and angle the baffle upwards a bit so it aims at my head

my plan was a 2x12 as well
            then I thought dang one 12 and a 15 would sound awesome
            then I thought I already have this one cab
            if I could get another one with a 15 then stack em.....
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              I just ordered a matching cab for my Jet City 1x12
              from TRMGuitarCabs ([email protected])
              Tim is very nice and will build to order

2x12
              2 matching 1x12s

on mine, I ordered it the same size and covering as my Jet City but with a cutout for a 15" speaker and an adapter for a 12" in case I change my mind
              and angle the baffle upwards a bit so it aims at my head

my plan was a 2x12 as well
              then I thought dang one 12 and a 15 would sound awesome
              then I thought I already have this one cab
              if I could get another one with a 15 then stack em.....
              Thank you, I may have to start a conversation with Tim...

I do not know much about cab building, so I like to ask questions to determine my end goal.
              Soundcloud

Comment

I've only bought one cab, my Ear Candy Buzz Bomb 2x12, and it not only sounds big but has survived a lot in the 13 years I've had it. Got it based off a recommendation right here too!

There are so many options but definitely put them on your list. The guy's name was also Tim back then. Lots of custom options for all parts of the cab.

They make other sizes too, check them out
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Check out the THD 2x12 cabs on the used market. A smaller and lighter 2x12 that sounds big. They are rear ported. They are 26" wide so a full sized Marshall head will stonehenge it, though.

Comment

I recently bought a Blackstar 2x12 cabinet that popped up on FB market place. I was not expecting much, it is 8ohm and has 2 V30'S in it.
                    I played it for a few months, and broke the speakers in, then after reading a lot about open back cabinets, I closed the back up tight, and now it is monstrous. I'm really impressed with it.
                    Fwiw

Only downside is, it's rather heavy for a 2x12. Maybe that's why it cranks?
                    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 07-08-2020, 10:06 AM.
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Peavey made a great vertical 212 cab called the 212 MC. You can run both 16 ohm speakers at 8 ohms, or each individual speaker at 16 ohms separately. It also had a partial open back with the removable top panel. It's not particularly light, but it is solid as a rock. I have one with a pair of C-Rex speakers, and it sounds massive.
                      Last edited by guitfiddle; 07-08-2020, 10:54 AM.
                      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Thomann has a vertical Harley Benton cab
                        Loaded with V30s

For about the cost of the speakers
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Oh wow, thank you everyone for the replies! I have a lot to think about and I want to make a move within the next few days if I can find the time. I will post an update here once I decide what I am going to do...
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Worth checking out the stuff Avatar cabs has. They've got decent prices and build quality from what I remember.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Jake if you are thinking of custom cabs I would suggest Rocket Cabs. I love mine it is an open/closed back convertible.

Comment

Working...
                              X