New to semi hollow guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to semi hollow guitars

I notice that some semi hollow electric guitars mention that they have a center block while others don’t? For the ones that don’t have a block, what are they using to make the guitar semi solid?

Also does the ibanez artcore vibrante as63 have a center block?

Re: New to semi hollow guitars

If there’s no center block, it’s a hollow body.

If it has a center block or is routed out with chambers to nearly hollow, it’s semi-hollow.

If it just has a few routes for weight relief, then it’s just weight relieved, though some companies push weight relief almost into the territory of semi-hollow.

Comment

a chambered body isnt really a semi hollow

semi hollow is the bent plywood top and back attached to a center frame

the full hollow are usually thicker and more like an acoustic with F holes

semi hollow has a center block on the same kind of frame

a chambered body is more like the thin line tele with the solid wood body with chambers under an F hole
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        a chambered body isnt really a semi hollow

semi hollow is the bent plywood top and back attached to a center frame

the full hollow are usually thicker and more like an acoustic with F holes

semi hollow has a center block on the same kind of frame

a chambered body is more like the thin line tele with the solid wood body with chambers under an F hole
        A fully chambered guitar most certainly is a semi-hollow guitar, though I agree that it sounds different than a traditionally layered semi-hollow. Chambered guitars will generally sound closer to a solid body and reject feedback much better than a traditionally constructed semi-hollow. My chambered Schecters have carved tops to reject feedback, but still ring out much more than a solid body, like a Gibson Midtown.

Also, calling the traditional construction method "plywood" is misleading. While Gibson uses three layers to construct their semi-hollow guitars, it's very different than what is commonly referred to as "plywood".

Comment

If you play with distortion, you don't want a full hollow body. I plugged a full hollow body into a 5150 lbx for fun and I could get controlled feedback at normal talking volume. It would be uncontrollable with any normal kind of volume.

A chambered guitar, where the top, back and sides are thicker than a semi hollow but where it still has a single large chamber on either side of the center block, is the ideal guitar IMO. It has more volume unplugged than a solid body electric so it's great for practicing unplugged, but it can also handle high gain at gig volumes.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, chambered guitars and semi-hollow guitars don't really sound the same but can look the same from the front. The standard 335-type can be made either way and will feel and sound different depending on which construction method is used. Generally, solid wood, chambered versions would be more expensive, but that doesn't mean they sound better, just different.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Epi Wildkat has a block just under the bridge; i'd call it a "semi hollow".

Sounds excellent, the bridge pickup got that "plank guitar" attack, while the neck pickup got a "hollow body" sound.

-Erl
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

my Epi Florentine and Ehdwuld Branded Chinese build are carved out bodies
                my Dean is bent Plywood construction like a 335

and just because its used in guitar building doesn't make it "not" plywood

its poplar and maple veneer glued together together then heated and bent
                EHD

Comment

Yeah, layers of wood glued together is 'plywood' no matter how you try to spin it. But that isn't to say it is bad. A solid plywood solidbody is not good, but a 335 or 175 is great.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Yeah, layers of wood glued together is 'plywood' no matter how you try to spin it. But that isn't to say it is bad. A solid plywood solidbody is not good, but a 335 or 175 is great.
                    >>> if AceBob were here he would post this

as long as it sounds good it is good
                    and thats whats important
                    EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      That's pretty much my point. When the vast majority of people hear plywood, they think of those low end junk guitars. That's why manufacturers use "laminated" for acoustics, hollows and semi-hollows.

Comment

Working...
                      X