Sadness: custom guitar frustrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sadness: custom guitar frustrations

I am still considering to revamp those Crimsons if not only to get them playable. Because the woods are gorgeous. I've got two Warmoths with the inverse-woods (purpleheart top rosewood back = warmoth, crimson is reverse // padouk back wenge top = warmoth, crmison is reverse) and those just needs to be revamped and reworked. I sold all my warmoths except for the best of the bunch, the most unique ones. Never play them, though.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      That, my friend, is called editing and censorship. The guys behind the blog wanted to have an article about having guitars custom built and these proved perfect to that end. Unfortunately, my experiences weren't nearly as rosy as they were with Warmoth, for example, but all my gripes were redacted and censored because it was believed that any negative press regarding Crimson Guitars on the official Seymour Duncan blog might come across as an official statement by SD about Crimson Guitars, hence the choice to have my gripes redacted. My post on the Warmoth forum is more honest and almost unredacted
      Lame. I’ll check out the other post.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

From what I understood, the entire sum had to be paid before the builder would release the guitar. The payment was completed right before his uncle picked up the guitar. I do not know the fine print of this story, though.
        Ok, and that matches up pretty well to what I wrote.

I would say there are two "faults" and two lessons in this story. One is what you covered - a builder whose prior work evidenced poor workmanship and then this particular late-career piece that showed obvious incompetence and-or negligence.

But the other story and lesson is a buyer who failed to pick up the signs (like the unreasonable delays) and who didn't employ his basic protections - like making a final payment before inspection, and sending someone unqualified to inspect the guitar to do the pickup. Most of us in this forum fall into this potential buyer scenario. So I think its worthwhile to point out that this seems like a story of a buyer who should have figured out from the responses of the builder this build had gone south already, to abort the transaction and lose just the deposit vs the greater loss that he or she suffered by paying out the full amount.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Unfortunately, you don't always get to decide what to, or not to, write when you're employed by someone.
          Yeah, I absolutely get that and just to clarify: my remark wasn't aimed at you.

Comment

That, my friend, is called editing and censorship. The guys behind the blog wanted to have an article about having guitars custom built and these proved perfect to that end. Unfortunately, my experiences weren't nearly as rosy as they were with Warmoth, for example, but all my gripes were redacted and censored because it was believed that any negative press regarding Crimson Guitars on the official Seymour Duncan blog might come across as an official statement by SD about Crimson Guitars, hence the choice to have my gripes redacted. My post on the Warmoth forum is more honest and almost unredacted
            I don't know much about Crimson, though I follow them on social media..I have never dealt with them directly though. We absolutely had limitations on what could be published on the SD blog. I had to change several things for publication over the years.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I don't know much about Crimson, though I follow them on social media..I have never dealt with them directly though. We absolutely had limitations on what could be published on the SD blog. I had to change several things for publication over the years.
              "Limitations" is just a fancy word for censorship I had a few truly, truly great articles penned down but I was told I couldn't publish them because they were either too complex or didn't fit the narrative the SD sales department wanted to promote.

Comment

^Sometimes its also better not to defecate where you eat.

Being part of a rather small industry requires a deft hand sometimes, not just removing the filter and going in elbow deep.
                As a small person you probably have better licence to say it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  ^Sometimes its also better not to defecate where you eat.

Being part of a rather small industry requires a deft hand sometimes, not just removing the filter and going in elbow deep.
                  As a small person you probably have better licence to say it like it is.
                  You're right. That's why I pulled the articles after I submitted them and was confronted with pushback. After all,I worked for SD. I might have not liked the process but I still still employed. Now, I'm no longer affiliated with SD so I have more liberties to express my personal opinions.

Comment

Did you ever publish them on your own?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wanted to but I have been too busy with building.

Comment

Working...
                      X