Is this schematic functional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this schematic functional?

Or is it a dud? I tried it but it doesn't appear to be working as it should. As soon as 2 pickups are together, the bridge volume becomes inoperable and the phase setting isn't as pronounced as I wish it were.

Last edited by orpheo; 07-06-2020, 04:00 AM.

Re: Is this schematic functional?

Comment

It looks to me like it should work. It is hard to follow though. I'd go over your wiring with a fine tooth comb, and make sure everything is in its proper place.

Comment

Did you check how your switch works? The terminals aren’t always the same on every brand of switch.

I haven’t looked through the diagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Position 4 doesn't look like it gets out of phase to me - only in series like position 2. Also, when the pickups are in series, it appears so are the volumes, so there's cumilative loading of resistance there, i think. The way to test is turn each individually then turn both together and hear how it sounds. Each should work, but both at the same time should get noticeably dark.

Comment

A 4-way is much simpler and you can wire the 4-way so the OOP and series are the two center positions if you like. Breja Toneworks shows how on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              Position 4 doesn't look like it gets out of phase to me - only in series like position 2.
              Nope. It's definitely OOP. I just double checked it. But it is difficult to trace through.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              Also, when the pickups are in series, it appears so are the volumes, so there's cumilative loading of resistance there, i think.
              Yup. In series or parallel, both volumes remain in the path. Not ideal, but it should function.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                Did you check how your switch works? The terminals aren’t always the same on every brand of switch.

I haven’t looked through the diagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                yeah, I have a Schaller Megaswitch M and I translated it to work with that switch. I even used an Oak switch to try this out, same tonal results.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  Nope. It's definitely OOP. I just double checked it. But it is difficult to trace through.

Yup. In series or parallel, both volumes remain in the path. Not ideal, but it should function.
                  Allright, thanks. So, if I understand you correctly, if I turn down the neck volume or bridge volume in position 4, I should be able to cut the signal like normal? For some reason, I still don't get that thin, honkky out of phase tone I want.

I'll try this again on a new model soon. I have contemplated a 4 way, but what I want is:

* individual volume/tone pots per humbucker
                  * blade switch to select the pickups
                  * coilsplits
                  * out of phase
                  * series (both humbuckers in series, because the both in series split out of phase sounds GREAT: tried it with a slightly different wiring on another guitar and I wanted that tone again, but with individual volumes).

If someone can make me that, thanks!

Comment

The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                      Allright, thanks. So, if I understand you correctly, if I turn down the neck volume or bridge volume in position 4, I should be able to cut the signal like normal? For some reason, I still don't get that thin, honkky out of phase tone I want.

I'll try this again on a new model soon. I have contemplated a 4 way, but what I want is:

* individual volume/tone pots per humbucker
                      * blade switch to select the pickups
                      * coilsplits
                      * out of phase
                      * series (both humbuckers in series, because the both in series split out of phase sounds GREAT: tried it with a slightly different wiring on another guitar and I wanted that tone again, but with individual volumes).

If someone can make me that, thanks!
                      Let me chew on this, after I get some java in me. It's the dual vol/tone that makes it tricky.

Comment

Let me chew on this, after I get some java in me. It's the dual vol/tone that makes it tricky.
                        Unfortunately, I agree. I would preferably use a 4 way blade (bridge, parallel both, series both, neck) and a push pull pot for phase and a push pull pot for split. Would love to see how you design this

Comment

Unfortunately, I agree. I would preferably use a 4 way blade (bridge, parallel both, series both, neck) and a push pull pot for phase and a push pull pot for split. Would love to see how you design this
                          I'll draw you up both. One way that does what you showed first, but redone in a way that I think makes more sense. Also, (and I hate to cost you money), but it will be with a standard Superswitch. Even I have a hard time translating those Megaswitches to other than their stock configuration. (But I will look at the Megaswitch to see if I can adapt it.)

Then two, I'll do the 4-way, with pp's.

On a sidenote, could we maybe double up on this thread, and continue our PM discussion here, since I can't post a pic in a PM? I figure it shouldn't hurt since you're the OP.

Comment

I'll draw you up both. One way that does what you showed first, but redone in a way that I think makes more sense. Also, (and I hate to cost you money), but it will be with a standard Superswitch. Even I have a hard time translating those Megaswitches to other than their stock configuration. (But I will look at the Megaswitch to see if I can adapt it.)

Then two, I'll do the 4-way, with pp's.

On a sidenote, could we maybe double up on this thread, and continue our PM discussion here, since I can't post a pic in a PM? I figure it shouldn't hurt since you're the OP.
                            sure, drop all you like here!

I can translate the Super to a Mega in a pinch, no worries. I kinda 'have' to use the Schaller mega; i have still 20 laying around and I have a super tiny switch cavity.

Comment

I can translate the Super to a Mega in a pinch, no worries. I kinda 'have' to use the Schaller mega; i have still 20 laying around and I have a super tiny switch cavity.
                              I get it. I'll do it with the Mega. Just remind me which version it is.

As for my PM, picture this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ibby_copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	5821031

The wiring would look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ibby_copy_wiring.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	5821032

The guitar is just an example. Basically, the semi-hollow "look", with no controls, for a super clean look. If it was a quasi-semi-hollow, as you were talking about, that would be cool. All my electronics would be external.

Comment

Working...
                              X