Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prs custom 24 se pickup improvement

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
    It is hard to say what I dislike. Their are paf, the neck is around 7.5 dcr and the bridge is a bit hotter. For sure under high gain the neck is a bit muddy. A little more power from the bridge and a warmer sound will be a good starting point
    Descriptions like that (even putting what you think into words) is very helpful! Then at least we have a starting point. I'd say either a Jazz or Sentient in the neck, and either a Custom or for a more modern sound, Pegasus in the bridge are good places to start.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, give the 59s a shot with the A2 magnets then. They'll probably do what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
        Yeah, give the 59s a shot with the A2 magnets then. They'll probably do what you want.
        That's what I'd do. Roughcast...not polished. They'll remind you of Antiquitys which, IMO, are the best humbuckers Duncan makes.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

So I am going to start with the 59s with A2/A3 (unfortunately all my spare magnets are polished), and if the results don't match my expectation I'll go with AP-1 and custom custom (or swapping the magnets Jazz/regular custom as suggested by Mincer). That's my plan. But, just curiosity, no one mentioned the PGn. Why do you think about it? Could its tonal features work in that guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I tried both with A4 and felt it sounded bland. Just not a sound that excited me.
            Both my Les Paul have a 59A4 in the neck slot. I find it balanced not bland.

Comment

Both my Les Paul have a 59A4 in the neck slot. I find it balanced not bland.

I liked A4 better in the neck than I liked it in the bridge.

Comment

But, just curiosity, no one mentioned the PGn. Why do you think about it? Could its tonal features work in that guitar?
                I didn't mention it b/c I've never tried that one. From reputation I'd think it would be a little brighter than the 59 A2 neck. Many, many people love the PGn.

Comment

But, just curiosity, no one mentioned the PGn. Why do you think about it? Could its tonal features work in that guitar?
                  You said the guitar was bright. The PG is the brightest pickup you listed and would likely be harsh in that guitar. But you can always try it. You have a tone control if it's too bright.

Comment

I am here again because I would like to upgrade my PRS custom 24 SE with roasted maple neck.
                    What would be your choice for that guitar? Take into account that the guitar is really bright
                    I felt that my stock Santana SE was a wee bit bright . . . so, i gave it a set of Graphtech Saddle Sabers & an SD Seth Lover set.
                    Could not be happier.
                    The SE sound massively full, th!ck, and the touch sensitivity is unreal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Johan Smith PRS SE 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5821045
                    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                      I felt that my stock Santana SE was a wee bit bright . . . so, i gave it a set of Graphtech Saddle Sabers & an SD Seth Lover set.
                      Could not be happier.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105698[/ATTACH]
                      Now that is a Santana I like! The Graph Tech saddles are a great idea for really bright guitars, btw.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Could not be happier.

22 frets? Am I going blind or are not all Santana models 24 fret guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          You said the guitar was bright. The PG is the brightest pickup you listed and would likely be harsh in that guitar. But you can always try it. You have a tone control if it's too bright.
                          Yes the guitar is bright, the brighter I own. The PGN and the CC have been pulled off long time ago from a VGS eruption pro because too dark. And I have never put them in a new guitar, so it's hard for me to remember how it sound. I will take it into account only if the 59's or the cupole APH-1/CC fail.

Comment

Could not be happier.

Nice guitar indeed. and the owl is missing .First time I see a Santana with 22 frets
                            Last edited by EmiAba; 07-09-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

It is reasonable to put them into the guitar. I am not particularly proficient with the soldering iron. I always need to ask to someone else to get the job done. It's hard for me to experiment. I can easily swap magnets to adjust the shades of the tone but I need the pickups installed. Having suggestions from you it gives me an idea and I trace to follow. Nothing can replace my ears and my taste but I can not install an replace if I don't like the result
                              Order an Obsidianwire harness, it has a push-connect for plugging pickups. I have one in my Fender Strat and very very happy with the sound, top notch components and craftsmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                                Order an Obsidianwire harness, it has a push-connect for plugging pickups. I have one in my Fender Strat and very very happy with the sound, top notch components and craftsmanship.
                                Last time I looked, ObsidianWire didn't have a PRS harness. I got a kit from Mad Hatter. It's not as simple as ObsidianWire, but it was easier than soldering. For me, at least.
                                Last edited by BluesIsBlood12; 07-15-2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X