String gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String gauge

When you get used to the tonal qualities of a certain set, switching can be hard. It isn't that any one set is better or worse, but we get used to things, and how our technique and equipment settings work with them.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

i think youre right, tonal quality is one part but so is the feel. been mostly a strat/super strat/tele guy for the 30 years ive been playing. got a few shorter scale guitars now and 11s feel pretty slinky, but not in a bad way

Comment

You know, it seems like there are two schools of thought for those that play multiple scale lengths.
        -Use the same strings across all guitars and “appreciate” the differences, similar to feeding each into the same rig and letting the Strat be lower output and brighter than the Les Paul.
        -Optimize the strings for tension to try to get the same tension across all guitars, similar to using a boost to fatten and lift a Strat’s output.

One summer I tried to really optimize string gauges for tension on my main Strat. It was interesting and I guess I got what I was looking for. However I realized my playing isn’t good enough for it to really make a difference and it’s easier to just buy stock strings, so here we are.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i dont want to use 12s on my short scale guitars, ive done it before but wasnt a fan. its not bad going from strat to les paul but there is a difference for sure

Comment

Working...
          X