Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String gauge

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    going to 7's like the rev means a really light touch, no way i could do it. he is a true example of let the amp do the work and his rig makes those 7s sound huge.
    His tech uses an oscilloscope and a considerable amount of outboard gear to get that sound. Not to mention the backing tracks and level of production of their show.

I think it's kind of funny that a guy who intentionally makes every guitar he plays sound the same is held up as such a standard of tone.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      His tech uses an oscilloscope and a considerable amount of outboard gear to get that sound. Not to mention the backing tracks and level of production of their show.

I think it's kind of funny that a guy who intentionally makes every guitar he plays sound the same is held up as such a standard of tone.
      Yeah but when your band [actually] Tours & opens for Jimi Hendrix its not just about .007ths strings. Just the last 2 years ive noticed stiffness in my hands/both hands, the knuckles, all of them. 30+ years in the trades has taken its toll. Ive also got back/knee/hip issues partly from being hit by a car 3 times once on a motorcycle & twice on Carbon road bikes but for many years i did flooring & had my own Tile business. 16+ hour days on your hands & knees is a harsh way to make a living. I also have an Imbilical Hernia but still lug around a 4x12 with a hand truck & play medium gauge strings because ive not found better sounding tones.

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-09-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Been using 9-42 Ernie Ball Super Slinky for E standard & Drop-D and 10-46 Regular Slinky for Eb & D standard for the past 25 years or so. That's all on 25.5" Floyd equipped guitars. I have really strong hands from being a builder and mechanic for so long that strength has nothing to do with using lighter gauges. I just prefer the tone, responsiveness with Floyd's and sustain much more than the heavier ones. I don't give a RATT's ass what others think. My entire body is an issue from so many broken bones and injuries (from work and play), including being hit by a car on the highway while riding a bicycle. lol

Comment

If my earlier posts sounded kind of crappy, I apologize. Everybody should use what they like. If that's .003" strings tuned down to B, awesome.

Maybe, someday, those of us who use 9s can get along with the ones who use 13s, and no one in either group will feel threatened by the different preferences of the other.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've always gone towards heavier guages (11-56ish) just because anything too much lighter just makes the guitar feel like a toy rather than an instrument, but I guess that's because as a kid I transitioned from drums, to bass, to guitar, so a light touch wasn't ever really drilled into me.

If I ever want to go for a lighter sound from my strings, I tend to lean into it and go full Nashville tuning.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I played 10-52 for years up until just a few months ago actually but I have pretty bad arthuritus from a car accident . I play 9.5-10 now and they feel and sound just right for me. They suit my snakey slidey style of playing really well anyways

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                If my earlier posts sounded kind of crappy, I apologize. Everybody should use what they like. If that's .003" strings tuned down to B, awesome.

Maybe, someday, those of us who use 9s can get along with the ones who use 13s, and no one in either group will feel threatened by the different preferences of the other.
                Threatened?
                That's like being threatened by someone with a different shoe size.
                Play what's comfortable. Amps, effects, recording devices have controls. Use them.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

For acoustic strings-

Martin Phosphor Bronze 011's...

The Martin strings sound alot better than D'addarios (in my ears)

and if i remember correctly, even the treble strings are coated with a thin layer of brass! :o
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

If any sort of "reconciliation" is possible or necessary, the onus is squarely on the heavy-string crowd. If you made a chart over the time people used offensive or belittling language for people who did not share their preferences, I would be very surprised if the heavy-string:light-string ratio was lower than 10:1. If this is indeed a problem, it is not the people pointing this out, but the people creating it in the first place.
                    Last edited by Sirion; 07-10-2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

These were pretty interesting videos. My preference hasn't changed, but definitely food for thought.

Comment

Ive seen the Anderton video & others where they do a shoot-out & say lighter is better or just as good as heavy but that does not jive with my experience or ears.
                        I have no agenda or motives other than trying to get a great sound out of my instrument {guitar}.
                        And frankly anyone that would tend to see hidden motives in a guitar string thread has bigger issues than guitar strings.

Comment

I find heavier bass strings on a guitar are more versatile because it's easier to cut bass and get a thinner sound than it is to try to get a heavier sound by adding bass to a thin sound.

The opposite is true for lighter treble strings. It's easier to tame bright treble strings than to brighten dark ones.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

And FWIW, I thinks it's funny how we as a forum are making it excessively clear how we don't think heavier or lighter strings make you a better or worse person, despite the fact that it's abundantly clear that nobody here thinks that way.

Try doing that on another forum.

Comment

oh no, if you dont play 11's then you are a horrible person and your grand children will still be shamed for your poor choices

Comment

What you do with your bass strings is up to you, but yes, 11's are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X