Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String gauge

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    oh no, if you dont play 11's then you are a horrible person and your grand children will still be shamed for your poor choices
    I used to play 11s in E standard, but tendonitis put an end to that. These days 10s sound pretty good without being painful to play. I've tried 9s a few times and just don't care for them.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

There’s at least one of the guys who will flat out tell you you’re wrong for your string choice guys left on here. He hasn’t shown up in this post yet, but don’t worry... you’ll know as soon as he does.

My remarks about people being threatened were mostly in jest. I think it’s pretty obnoxious, but I’m secure in my preferences
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

You should pick the gauge that is comfortable (after all, you can **** up your hand/wrist) for you and your style.

Ultimately, string gauge preference doesn't matter in the big picture - you may prefer .13s or .07s or steel cables an inch thick - what matters is:

Can you play the ******* guitar?
        Last edited by LLL; 07-11-2020, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          You should pick the gauge that is comfortable (after all, you can **** up your hand/wrist) for you and your style.

Ultimately, string gauge preference doesn't matter in the big picture - you may prefer .13s or .07s or steel cables an inch thick - what matters is:

Can you play the ******* guitar?
          Yeah, well-

I think 10's are more comfortable and easy to play;
          but I use 11's anyway, since I think they sound better for my style and playing.

as far as if I can play, please be my judge.
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            There’s at least one of the guys who will flat out tell you you’re wrong for your string choice guys left on here. He hasn’t shown up in this post yet, but don’t worry... you’ll know as soon as he does.

My remarks about people being threatened were mostly in jest. I think it’s pretty obnoxious, but I’m secure in my preferences
            Ah, thank you for my introduction!

Yes, you are all wrong! Like light strings? Wrong! Heavy strings? Wrong! Right in the middle? Wrong again!!!

I do think those hybrid sets were made for me. Whatever treble strings I play, I find I prefer a gauge heavier for the bass strings to prevent the “wooow” tuning fluctuation... I’ve been playing 10-52 for quite a while now, I’m very accustomed to them.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Ah, thank you for my introduction!

Yes, you are all wrong! Like light strings? Wrong! Heavy strings? Wrong! Right in the middle? Wrong again!!!

I do think those hybrid sets were made for me. Whatever treble strings I play, I find I prefer a gauge heavier for the bass strings to prevent the “wooow” tuning fluctuation... I’ve been playing 10-52 for quite a while now, I’m very accustomed to them.
              Lol, you aren’t the one I was referring to, but you know that

Agree on 10-52. Killer combo that seems to work well on about any instrument. If I’m playing a lot, I usually end up preferring 11s, though. Right now, I’m playing mostly acoustic (13s) and mandolin (11.5), so the 10s on my LP feel and sound too thin. Ordered a set of GHS nickel 11-50 to try on it.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

see and i dont really like the 10-52 sets. ive tried to but a straight 10 or 11 set is better for me. the skinny top and heavy bottom just feels weird

Comment

I just mentioned this in my pickup thread, but I’m thinking about 11s for the plain strings, and 10s for the wound. Put GHS Nickel Rocker 11s on the ‘62, and it tamed the bridge pickup pretty well, but now the neck sounds muddy on the wound strings.

Derek Trucks plays guitars pretty similar to mine, and I think he does the medium top, light bottom thing.

Comment

I know if you want to sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo you have to use heavy strings and a Fender Esquire. Maybe flatwounds.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      Lol, you aren’t the one I was referring to, but you know that

Agree on 10-52. Killer combo that seems to work well on about any instrument. If I’m playing a lot, I usually end up preferring 11s, though. Right now, I’m playing mostly acoustic (13s) and mandolin (11.5), so the 10s on my LP feel and sound too thin. Ordered a set of GHS nickel 11-50 to try on it.
                      see and i dont really like the 10-52 sets. ive tried to but a straight 10 or 11 set is better for me. the skinny top and heavy bottom just feels weird
                      I credit it to learning how to play guitar from Metallica and Green Day tab books. I’d prefer 11-52 but my hands can’t bend 11s like the Pink Floyd tab books I learned with.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Ive seen the Anderton video & others where they do a shoot-out & say lighter is better or just as good as heavy but that does not jive with my experience or ears.
                        I have no agenda or motives other than trying to get a great sound out of my instrument {guitar}.
                        And frankly anyone that would tend to see hidden motives in a guitar string thread has bigger issues than guitar strings.
                        Those Marshalls are pretty bright, heavy strings can really help tame that brightness.

Comment

It depends on the brand to me. I love D'Addario 9.5 gauge strings on most of my guitars, and I do not like their regular 9 gauge set. I tried GHS Boomers' 9 gauge set on my 7 and 8 string guitars, and really liked them. Eventually it dawned on me that I like the 6 small string in that set too, and I have since put them on a couple of 6 strings. I went back to the D'Addario 9 gauge set just to see if my preferences had changed, but they had not. I still do not like that set at all.

Comment

I like string gauge that feels elastic enough for my hands, and I'll work my way around that to make it sound good.
                            I've played super heav gauges before and it was fun for about 5 minutes. Not gonna happen anymore.

I'm the kind of guy that can play 9-46 strings in Drop C and feel comfortable about it. Life's good this way.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

i started playing 11's cause thats what slash used. power slinkys!! i knew he tuned down a half step but didnt really get the difference tension wise when i started. ive bounced around but always end up back with 11s.

derek trucks does use a weird 11 set but hes also tuned to open e, literally all the time. so his 11 14 17 26 36 48 set is more about balancing the tension of those strings hes tuning up. im not exactly sure what his low e is these days, might be a 46 or a 50 instead of a 48

Comment

i started playing 11's cause thats what slash used. power slinkys!! i knew he tuned down a half step but didnt really get the difference tension wise when i started. ive bounced around but always end up back with 11s.
                                So did I; first Power Slinkys and then DR Pure Blues, but a bout of serious tendonitis compounded by RSI from poor workstation ergonomics prompted a 1 1/2 year break from guitar about a decade ago. Since coming back I've mostly been using 10-46 DR Tite Fits.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X