How many pedals are on your board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many pedals are on your board?

On my main board which is now disassembled I had some staples and some variables plus add-ons.

Always:
    Fuzz (various Fuzz Face/FF style/Velvet Fuzz)
    Compressor
    Overdrive (FD2)
    Phaser (Phase 90)
    Chorus for cleans and fast Leslie style (Voodoo Lab)
    Distortion (Wampler Pinnacle)
    Delay (Catalinbread Belle Epoch)

Depending on what we were playing I might add a wah and/or a vibe on the floor in front and I might add a flanger on the end for whooshy, tape flanging style over the top song ending.

This gets me everything from spanky clean, fuzz, subtle and bluesy OD, classic rock distortion and heavy distortion (OD boosting Distortion). I turned the Belle Epoch preamp on 100% so there isn’t such a jarring difference between echo and no echo. It’s funny how similar phaser and vibe are, but I’d always want to use vibe for Jimi, Trower, Gilmour, etc. even though for the most part the Phase 90 could probably do it...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've been trying to cut down the pedals on my board for the last few months. At the moment it's down to:

Phaser
      Fuzz
      OD
      Compressor
      Flanger
      Delay

I run a tuner off the stereo out from my delay pedal, so its not in the signal path. This is the bare minimum of pedals I can happily get away with, and it's always a fight when deciding if I want to add just one more (which depending on mood is either wah, envelope filter, or tremolo).
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        More than I use, unfortunately.
        Ya know... It probably makes you a better guitarist.

Comment

i have three boards setup right now, originally for different projects, but they work so well ive kept them together even if the project has ended or is on hiatus

1 - analogman sunface ->catalinbread dls mk2 -> duncan vapor trail
          2 - duncan vise grip -> mxr phase 90 -> modded vox valvetone -> way huge green rhino -> duncan deja vu
          3 - fulltone mas malo -> duncan killing floor -> barber ltd -> mxr carbon copy -> radial twin cities aby

the first board is battery powered since the sunface sounds best that way. there is a theme across all of em, dirt and delay. #3 has the aby for use with both channels of my old deluxe reverb (normal channel heavily modded) or run two amps. the #2 has modulation with the phase 90 and there are some fun tricks you can do with the deja vu with the delay time set to zero and the modulation turned up, faux leslie and chorus sounds passable for stage. both have five pedals since thats what the one spot daisy chain handles (yes i know there is an eight spot one, i have one, but i dont need more than five)

my "big" board is pulled bare at the moment other than the voodoo labs power supply waiting for me to put it back together but since theres no gigs, let alone original rock trio gigs, theres little urgency to put it together.

Comment

Do you think DC/AC has a measurable effect on most pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
              What exactly do you mean?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

you mean battery vs power supply? no, i dont think it matters much at all with the exception being the rangemaster and fuzzface circuits. i do notice that the sunface and treble boost sounds best not only using a battery but a heavy duty battery, not alkaline.

i run my little three pedal board on batteries since a) the sunface sounds best that way b) they are all analog pedals so dont eat batteries c) its a quick grab a go board that doesnt need power

everything else runs on power supplies. and im a guy who wont put my tu2 inline since i heard a difference i dont like so the tuner lives on top of the amp

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  What exactly do you mean?
                  What Jeremy answered.

Comment

Yes. Pedals will run on one or the other (almost always DC), not both. Usually, the power supply converts AC to DC for the pedal to run on, or if you're using a battery, its DC by default.
                    There are very few pedals that run on AC (I think the digitech whammy pedal does??)
                    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                      Yes. Pedals will run on one or the other (almost always DC), not both. Usually, the power supply converts AC to DC for the pedal to run on, or if you're using a battery, its DC by default.
                      There are very few pedals that run on AC (I think the digitech whammy pedal does??)
                      So... Batteries are better unless you're using a DigiTech?

Comment

So... Batteries are better unless you're using a DigiTech?
                        Not sure where you pulled that out of what zizyphus said...

Power pretty much all ends up as DC for the circuit. Even tube amps convert the AC to DC for the tubes to work. It just depends on whether the rectifier is in the pedal/amp or if it needs for it to be converted for it.

Batteries are a PITA either way, only thing they might make a difference on would be some fuzz/OD circuits where the battery sag might make a difference, but a lot of modern power supplies have a simulator for that built in.

Comment

maybe not. Next time I'll try to plug the adaptor plug right into my wall outlet!

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Typically:
                            Guitar > Tuner > Clean boost > OD > Analog Delay (short repeats) > Digital Delay (long repeats) > Amp
                            Occasionally I’ll slip a chorus between the OD and AD, but it only gets used for a couple of songs, so I normally don’t bother.

Comment

Many pedals are quieter when you don't use an AC direct plug but rather batteries -but only maybe 5% of the pedals now bring AC into the chassis (usually multi effects units or very old pedals)

If the pedal takes a AC Wall transformer and taps and rectifies outside of the pedal so the pedal only sees DC then it's not a big deal on a single pedal.....but

If you daisy chain lots of transformers or use a PDU brick without individual isolation transformers then it can be a very noisy affair.

My rule is if recording use only batteries or a very good PDU with ISO transformers, live? -don't care so much.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

If you include my tuner & switcher, I've got 13.

I'm playing original alternative / progressive rock so a pretty wide tonal palette is called for.

This board gets used with my Marshall Jubilees; everything here gets used, though the only always-on effect is the reverb side of the Flint:
                                Guitar -> Ernie Ball Volume -> Wilson Signature Wah -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Loop-Master Clean/Dirty/Channel Switcher™ w/Combinable Loops & Tuner Out
                                Clean Loop: MIJ BOSS CS-3 -> Fulltone GT-500 -> MIJ BOSS CE-2 -> Strymon Flint
                                Dirty Loop: Wampler Tumnus -> Homebrew UFO -> MXR Micro Flanger -> TC Electronic Flashback 2
                                Tuner: Korg Pitchblack Portable

I also have a smaller board for my Lead 12 mini stack with 6 pedals:
                                Guitar -> Korg Pitchblack -> Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Maxon OD-9 -> TC Electronic Dreamscape -> TC Electronic Flashback
                                Last edited by dystrust; 07-07-2020, 07:54 PM. Reason: Added Lead 12 board
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X