Big Brass is here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brass is here

37mm Floyd Brass Block is here. Replaces the stock 32mm. The stock is a nickel plate zinc alloy. New one is solid Brass. Much more low end thump & better top end, maybe a bump in da mids.
    I haven't played it thru the amp yet but with medium gauge strings @ Eb acoustically sounds great.
    I did a BBB upgrade to my 87 Charvel and was worthy upgrade. This one is too.
    The SH-12 Demon pup & the BBB im all set.

Re: Big Brass is here

That is a game changing addition, good call on ordering one. I had mine made with a local guy to avoidnpostage and import fees, but man, was happy when installed it!

Also, if that unit is a "Special" (the potmetal blocks makes me think it is) a set of steel saddles will basically get you a bridge equivalent of a German made FR unit for the fraction of the price!
    Last edited by nexion218; 07-06-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Whoa! :o

I remember the time I had a stratocaster (a squier), and started shopping for "replacement parts", huge brass block, saddles, and whatnot...

(came out a total of $70 in parts, more than I paid for the entire guitar...) so I had to just leave it stock.

Always wanted to have one of those brass blocks, if I get another strat /tremolo guitar one day.

rock on!!
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
        Whoa! :o

I remember the time I had a stratocaster (a squier), and started shopping for "replacement parts", huge brass block, saddles, and whatnot...

(came out a total of $70 in parts, more than I paid for the entire guitar...) so I had to just leave it stock.

Always wanted to have one of those brass blocks, if I get another strat /tremolo guitar one day.

rock on!!
        The Brass cost me $20 bucks shipped off ebay.

Comment

What’s the weight difference, old to new?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            What’s the weight difference, old to new?
            Stock 32mm is 5. something oz. Cant find the 37mm spec but its significant.

Comment

Almost looks like it would limit downward throw against the body in there. Do you have to open up the route at all?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Almost looks like it would limit downward throw against the body in there. Do you have to open up the route at all?

I did on my 87' Charvel but not on the ESP.

They make recessed & non recessed type Floyd blocks & there are charts to match the serial # of your Floyd to whats compatible.

I took a jigsaw to my MIJ Charvel & shaved off an 1/8th of Basswood to fit the block.

I wasn't crazy about doing that but 30 years in the Trades with power tools paid off fine.

My Charvel originally had a fulcrum trem that was doweled for a Floyd before i got it and that had something to do with my clearance issue.

Comment

I picked up a slightly oversized brass block from KGC for my Prestige S and it made a NICE difference in tone and sustain.

Keep us updated.
                  “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I am considering these brass blocks myself. Quite a cheap upgrade, and my PRS custom 24 floyd, with all the appointments that you would expect from a quality US made guitar, has the skinny block so swapping it seems like a no brainer.

I love everything about the guitar, and from what I read it seems like this will more than likely result in further improvement.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Comment

Seriously no offense meant but to me that guitar is hideous.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                        Seriously no offense meant but to me that guitar is hideous.

But you don't mean that in a "bad" way right ?

de·rog·a·to·ry
                        /dəˈräɡəˌtôrē/
                        Learn to pronounce
                        adjective
                        showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.
                        "she tells me I'm fat and is always making derogatory remarks"

in·sult
                        verb
                        /inˈsəlt/
                        speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse.
                        "you're insulting the woman I love"

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X