Humbucker helper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humbucker helper?

i have a LP which that tends to be quite warm, mid heavy, muddy and dull with most PUs. UNplugged it also doesn't sound bad. kind of round and sweet. not really honky. the bass is way softer than on my other Black Beauty.
    Maybe they are similiar?

PUs i tried in there:

59n in the Bridge. quite bright but very alive sound/and feel. 59b sounded a bit dull.

Screamin' Demon was the clear winner. the bass was perfect: tight and deep. what makes this PU so much bigger to my ears than the 59s. Also this PU is bright, The Attack is really cutting. Some single coil qualities in there. Tons of definition with this PU.

SH-14 Custom 5 was too compressed and dead sounding. not very inspiring.
    Did nothing better than the Demon.

Pegasus in that guitar was too middy, compressed and kind of grainy.

SH-7/SH-6n sounds good, but not as open as the demon, quite a bit hotter also.
    But this might be your "fat".

Jazz and PG sets might be a good suggestions and i may try them in that guitar, too.

So i say try the Demon since it's one of your own suggestions. I don't have any experience with double thick A5s though.
    THe stock demon is not what i would call a fat PU at all.
    But in some guitars it can really sound BIG! Especially because of it'S broad frequency range with the deep bass and brilliant highs but enough growl and grunt.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
      So i say try the Demon since it's one of your own suggestions. I don't have any experience with double thick A5s though.
      THe stock demon is not what i would call a fat PU at all.
      But in some guitars it can really sound BIG! Especially because of it'S broad frequency range with the deep bass and brilliant highs but enough growl and grunt.
      I tried a stock Demon in there a few months back and it was lacking a bit in output, hence the musings on a double thick magnet. I appreciate the input, thanks.

Comment

Full Shred, it sat well with the Kemper and stood out, tracked great when blended with other pickups. I built a single bridge HB guitar just to try out all the options I can. The FS has beat out 5 others and this started when the Covid crap did, so I've been having fun! Kemper's gone though, just wasn't me. FYI, I hated the FS for years!! (in an alder maple neck thru...way too bright). In a Mahogany or Basswood body was a world of difference and it handles all the alternate tunings and down tunings the best, to me. Its got a chewy way with gain too. I will say, it will have a "knack" to it though...all your mistakes are very clear with a FS. Still wanna try others but the FS hasn't stayed on the shelf very long.
        Last edited by Jigsisme; 07-07-2020, 04:53 PM.
        Guitars:
        2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
        Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
        Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
          I tried a stock Demon in there a few months back and it was lacking a bit in output, hence the musings on a double thick magnet. I appreciate the input, thanks.
          You might just try the Demon with an A8 mag.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            You might just try the Demon with an A8 mag.
            I love the demon, but I've found it unusable with an A8 magnet. I find the high end far too abrasive

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              I love the demon, but I've found it unusable with an A8 magnet. I find the high end far too abrasive
              Was that in this guitar, though, or a different one? That aggressive high end might be just what the Spanish cedar needs...
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                Was that in this guitar, though, or a different one? That aggressive high end might be just what the Spanish cedar needs...
                Both this guitar and others. It's not the amount of the high end, it's the nature of the high end that bothers me. Pretty much every A8 pickup sounds that way to me.

Comment

Are you sure you're talking about A8? What you described doesn't sound like A8's high end, but rather ceramic.

If anything, the A8 will give a smoother, less abrasive high end. Ceramic mags are known for their abrasive, edgy, piercing highs.

I've actually put an A8 in a Demon and found that it definitely gives it more oomph and mids, keeps the tight bass and softens the highs a tad.

Mincer gave a good suggestion of 59/C hybrid and you said that you found it "lacking", but you didn't answer his question which is important..."OK, what do you find lacking...EQ? Output?"
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    Are you sure you're talking about A8? What you described doesn't sound like A8's high end, but rather ceramic.

If anything, the A8 will give a smoother, less abrasive high end. Ceramic mags are known for their abrasive, edgy, piercing highs.

I've actually put an A8 in a Demon and found that it definitely gives it more oomph and mids, keeps the tight bass and softens the highs a tad.

Mincer gave a good suggestion of 59/C hybrid and you said that you found it "lacking", but you didn't answer his question which is important..."OK, what do you find lacking...EQ? Output?"
                    Yes, A8s through my amps sound harsh and abrasive to my ears. They always have, in every wind.

As for the C/59, it was addressed in my first post. It's flat, the guitar just soaks up the high end.

Comment

Still have the Slash set in and think I've found a way to work with them. Higher value pot, significantly raised pole pieces and, probably most importantly, using a 1960 cab with greenbacks instead of my Avatar modern 2x12. The Avatar cab adds to the low mids and it's just too much for this one guitar.

Comment

Working...
                      X