Humbucker helper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker helper?

I've got a guitar I love, but can't find the right bridge humbucker and I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm normally an A2 guy and love a thicker tone without too much output. My other main guitars for gigs are a Schecter Corsair with APH1 set, R7 with Slash set and PRS S2 with SNS set.

The guitar is Spanish cedar I and just has a soft, mushy tone that lacks in high end and definition. It came with the SNS set and sounded dead with them. I tried a handful of other pickups, the most recent being a 59/Custom and a Slash set. The 59/Custom was still a little flat and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Custom 5 seems the logical next step, also thinking about a Screamin Demon with double thick A5. I've absolutely hated the C5 in everything else over the years, and that has me questioning the next step. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And yeah, selling it is an option, but I'm trying to avoid going there.

Re: Humbucker helper?

A Custom or Custom 5 might be a good choice, and even a Distortion might do it, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maybe a Distortion Neck in bridge position? It was originally a bridge pickup named the SH-7 Seymourizer.
      Fat, bright, and nice & firm thanks to a double thick ceramic.
      Not at all mushy, not even a little bit.

Its wind is a bit lighter than the Custom and IMO the character is more open and the feel a little more dynamic.
      Often overlooked as a bridge option simply because of its name.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Why not a PATB-3?

It has snap, its construction is a bit different... So don't judge it with the standard screws and studs PAF kinda pickups. Mine measures 9.4K and is a snappier and more present version of a Brobucker. Has sorta V eq. And has presence.

SNS sounding dead is what worries me tho...

Another one I thought was the Jazz bridge. Hell of a good bucker for the right guitar. So why not go that way instead of going the Custom 5 route?

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          A Custom or Custom 5 might be a good choice, and even a Distortion might do it, too.
          I'm not generally a high output guy, even the customs are often a little hot for me in most guitars. I was thinking of the C5, concerned the stock custom may still be too thick.

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          Maybe a Distortion Neck in bridge position? It was originally a bridge pickup named the SH-7 Seymourizer.
          Fat, bright, and nice & firm thanks to a double thick ceramic.
          Not at all mushy, not even a little bit.

Its wind is a bit lighter than the Custom and IMO the character is more open and the feel a little more dynamic.
          Often overlooked as a bridge option simply because of its name.
          Great idea, I had not considered that one at all.

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
          Why not a PATB-3?

It has snap, its construction is a bit different... So don't judge it with the standard screws and studs PAF kinda pickups. Mine measures 9.4K and is a snappier and more present version of a Brobucker. Has sorta V eq. And has presence.

SNS sounding dead is what worries me tho...

Another one I thought was the Jazz bridge. Hell of a good bucker for the right guitar. So why not go that way instead of going the Custom 5 route?

B
          PATB-3 didn't work there either, that was one of the first things I tried. Jazz bridge is another good idea, I may throw an A5 in my Slash bridge and give that a shot as sort of a Jazz+

I appreciate the suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
            I'm not generally a high output guy, even the customs are often a little hot for me in most guitars. I was thinking of the C5, concerned the stock custom may still be too thick.

Great idea, I had not considered that one at all.

PATB-3 didn't work there either, that was one of the first things I tried. Jazz bridge is another good idea, I may throw an A5 in my Slash bridge and give that a shot as sort of a Jazz+

I appreciate the suggestions
            Sorry to hear that. It is sad to admit but sometimes the guitar is not right you know...

B

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
              Sorry to hear that. It is sad to admit but sometimes the guitar is not right you know...

B
              Yeah, I'm rapidly approaching that point, and probably a little past there. The sad thing is, it plays great and sounds good acoustically. Those have been great indicators for me in the past. Next step is to pull the pots and caps to verify they aren't failing, but all the components are top quality.

Oh, and the SNS set is uninspiring to me in several guitars, they just sound too flat. They're "good enough" in my S2, and I use that for my drop D guitar.
              Last edited by chadd; 07-07-2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Have you considered a Fullshred set or a Jazz set for more high end and moderate output. For higher output JB/Jazz set would work. You can clean up a JB by turning back the volume a bit. Cedar is kind of warm sounding and chips very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
                  Have you considered a Fullshred set or a Jazz set for more high end and moderate output. For higher output JB/Jazz set would work. You can clean up a JB by turning back the volume a bit. Cedar is kind of warm sounding and chips very easily.
                  The Full Shred neck sounded great in there and the bridge is certainly worth considering. Given the JB's that I've tried over the years, I don't see that working at all. That's the one pickup that has never worked for me in any guitar.

Comment

Can you get a pickup conversion ring and try a single coil in there? Soft mushy tone that lacks high end and definition is like . . . the description of all humbuckers. :P

Or maybe try a Dimarzio Bluesbucker.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If you want lower gain, look at a 59/Custom Hybrid. That may work without getting too compressed. It would be the 'next step up' from the SNS set.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar
                        My favorite guitars are those I loved right from the get go. Didn't have to talk myself into liking them.

Sounds like you have a dud and you're trying to find a way to like it.

I doubt it'll ever be a favorite guitar.

I also think if you've never liked the Custom 5 you probably won't like it in that guitar either.
                        I actually love playing it and don't expect it to be my favorite. I'm just looking to make it work with my existing Kemper profiles that work with my other guitars. Plus, I'm fairly picky.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        If you want lower gain, look at a 59/Custom Hybrid. That may work without getting too compressed. It would be the 'next step up' from the SNS set.
                        That's what I had been using until throwing in the Slash set. It was ok. Usable, but still lacking.

Comment

OK, what do you find lacking...EQ? Output?

Comment

Pearly Gates set - you need some brightness.
                            if that doesn't work
                            Jazz Set

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                              Yeah, I'm rapidly approaching that point, and probably a little past there. The sad thing is, it plays great and sounds good acoustically. Those have been great indicators for me in the past. Next step is to pull the pots and caps to verify they aren't failing, but all the components are top quality.

Oh, and the SNS set is uninspiring to me in several guitars, they just sound too flat. They're "good enough" in my S2, and I use that for my drop D guitar.
                              If the guitar plays great and sounds good acoustically, then there's gotta be something fishy as you say.

How about a Phat Cat set? I know it's not HB and all, but A2 and single coil you know... it could be exactly what that guitar needs. And if that's a good fit, then voila! You'd have of a great guitar.

No?

B

Comment

Working...
                              X