EMG 81/85 vs 57/66 sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81/85 vs 57/66 sets?

Talking about my Schecter C-1 Platinum in another thread, got me to dig it out play it some more. I like the 85n ok, but the 81b is definitely pure metal. Just not to my taste. I notice that the new C-1P comes with the 57/66 set. From what I read, the 81/85's are ceramic mags, and the 57/66's are A5 and PAF-ish.

Has anyone used the 57/66 set and can relate how they sound? Even better, if you're familiar with the 81/85 set.

Thanks;
    Artie

Re: EMG 81/85 vs 57/66 sets?

They're not PAF-like at all.

The 57 is not terribly different from an 81. I liked it more, but not enough to keep it. For someone who likes the 81, it's probably different enough to provide another flavor, but for someone who doesn't like the 81, it's too similar.

All the complaints about the 81 remain, only slightly less so: it's still very upper mid focused, with internal clipping and that compression that makes your pick attack sound incredibly consistent. The response is a little broader. It's supposedly hotter but I found it sounded better set lower (while the 81 needs to practically touch the strings), so that might've cancelled that out for me.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Bigcup. That helps. So 57/66 probably still wouldn't be my cup 'o tea.

Comment

Nice schecter you have, Got the same one with a Floyd and Emg 81/85, i also have a LP with 57/66 and find that set more verstile, i had bare knuckle rebel yell in that guitar before and kept the 57/66, so i like Them very much in that guitar.

I play blues to metal with that axe
        Last edited by MB89; 07-08-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I don't think Schecter gets the love they deserve. I lean towards "blues." At least, within the limits of my talent. I'm gonna try my Livewire set. If I don't like them, I'll consider the 57/66 set.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Talking about my Schecter C-1 Platinum in another thread, got me to dig it out play it some more. I like the 85n ok, but the 81b is definitely pure metal. Just not to my taste. I notice that the new C-1P comes with the 57/66 set. From what I read, the 81/85's are ceramic mags, and the 57/66's are A5 and PAF-ish.

Has anyone used the 57/66 set and can relate how they sound? Even better, if you're familiar with the 81/85 set.

Thanks;
            Artie
            the 81 is ceramic, the 85 has a A5. I have them as a set (ZakkWylde signature) in my VGS eruption pro. The 85 is a great pickup in both positions (many people swap the position between the two). The 81 is tight but a bit lifeless and thin IMO. I run them both with 18v mod. I tried the 57/66 a couple of time at the guitar shop. Don't remember exactly the model of the schecter they were in. But I found them more usable, with good note separation. the 66 seems brighter than 85 (but I think it depends on the guitar) to me but still warm. the 57 was fuller and warmer than the 81, much more mids.

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
              the 57 was fuller and warmer than the 81, much more mids.
              I guess it depends on what kind of mids you're talking about. The 57 has more low mids, but less of the stuffy nasal core mids. Both a pretty upper-mid present, but the 81 has the edge in that regard. Neither have a real deep bottom-end, but the 57 has a bit more airy (but not harsh) high-end.

They are all EMG's, so they are all upper-mid focused-compared to passives, but I'd say the 57 is the more scoopy of the two. Fuller? Yes, agreed. More mids? Nah, IMO.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-09-2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
                The 81 is tight but a bit lifeless and thin IMO.
                That's exactly what I thought. When I bought this guitar, I didn't plug it in, in the store. It felt good in my hands, and it looked killer. When I got it home, it sounded "good", simply because it was new. Now that I've played with it awhile, I still love the axe . . . not the pups. The 85 is "ok", but still can't hold a candle to my passive modified Ric bass neck pup in my Schecter Blackjack.

Comment

I guess within the EMG world, the 57 is the most open and passive-like one I've tried (I haven't tried the Retroactives), but it still sounds like an EMG. If you want something completely different, the 57/66 isn't what you should be looking at. The 57/66 is more like a twist on the EMG formula rather than something entirely different. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I love the 81, 85, and 60 as well.

Comment

Yeah. Someone else kinda eluded to that. The C-1 is meant as a "metal" guitar. I lean towards clean, Fender "Blackface" kinda tone. I bought it for its looks. Look for an EMG 81/85 pup set for sale in a theater near you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      I guess within the EMG world, the 57 is the most open and passive-like one I've tried (I haven't tried the Retroactives), but it still sounds like an EMG.
                      Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      I guess it depends on what kind of mids you're talking about. The 57 has more low mids, but less of the stuffy nasal core mids. Both a pretty upper-mid present, but the 81 has the edge in that regard. Neither have a real deep bottom-end, but the 57 has a bit more airy (but not harsh) high-end.

They are all EMG's, so they are all upper-mid focused-compared to passives, but I'd say the 57 is the more scoopy of the two. Fuller? Yes, agreed. More mids? Nah, IMO..
                      Sounds good. will readd them to my (long) wishlist.

for me the 58X is the most open and passive-like. I didn't try the 57 and also no Retroactives, though.
                      Last edited by ToneFiddler; 07-09-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Try the 85 in the bridge. For all but pristine cleans I think it sounds better than the 81 there.

Comment

For some time, I have wanted to try a 66/66 set. Might be closer to a traditional sound than 66/57.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            For some time, I have wanted to try a 66/66 set. Might be closer to a traditional sound than 66/57.
                            Hmm...that could be interesting!

The old 60 and 60A models were surprisingly good in the bridge. I could see the 66 being worth a shot!

Comment

The simplest thing you can do, which, in my opinion is much better, is to swap the 85 to the bridge and 81 to the neck. I have that in my 87 Charvel and it's awesome. See if you dig it then go from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X