No announcement yet.

EMG 81/85 vs 57/66 sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it's more open and less mid-pushed than the standard 81 preamp. Close to the same tone as an 81 at 18v.
    I tried the x-series when they were released and really liked the 85x as a bridge. I still prefer the standard 81 at 9v as a bridge.

Comment

So, I raised the 81 up as high as it will practically go, (as Top-L suggested), and it definitely helped. Gave the 81 a bit more girth and body. More bass, I guess, would be what it is. Still not enough to make me love them, but I could live with this if I played metal. I'll be trying the Blackouts, and then later, the Dave Mustaines, as soon as I find good 100k pots.

Comment

Yeah, the low-end rolloff is a characterist of every EMG model in the classic lineup. Even the X series, IME. Not even the bassiest EMG in the classic series, the 85, has more bass than something like a JB, which is not a low-end monster in itself to begin with.

Blackouts definitely have more bass. Too much, IMO.

Comment

It really depends on the guitar for me, and the tuning. I have a Jackson Stars Soloist in Drop B with an 81/58 combo that sounds incredible. I don't know that I would personally want an 81 in a standard or Eb tuned guitar. For those, the 85/58 combo works great. The 60 used to be my absolute favorite neck pickup from EMG. Now, it is a toss up between the 66 or 58.

I personally don't understand why the 58 doesn't get more love. It is an incredible pickup. I actually would like to try a dual 58 setup at some point.

As far as the question about the 57/66 vs 81/85, I would take the the 57/66 everytime. I feel like EMG really found the right combination of headroom and drive with them. They can be heavy, or they can do cleans.

Cole
          Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Funny you mention the headroom. I actually find the 57/66 really benefits from the 18V mod because they have the exact same preamp as the classic 81/85/60 combo, but they're hotter before they hit the preamp, so their preamp clips/compresses more.

The 57 running at 18V is fantastic. It really does open it up.

Comment

I have multiple sets of 57/66 sets, as well as other EMGs (both original design and the X series), and I don't hear lots of compression in the 57/66. Yes they have plenty of output, but I hear the preamp volume, not pickups output. I would say that I hear/feel the response more in line with the X series than the original preamp. I also feel they are way more dynamic than the original preamp design. Once again, they feel/respond more along the lines of the X series for dynamics.

I am also certain EMG use a different preamp for the 57/66 than the original lineup. I feel like I read/saw something from EMG when these were released about that too. I have never tried the Retro Active pickups from EMG, so I can't compare there. However, I think the design was something similar in idea to the Seymour Duncan Duality; a traditional pickup design with a preamp. I don't know if the 57/66 is anything like the Retro Active design, but it doesn't sound like the original preamp to me at all. Like I said previously, I think the preamp is more like the X series preamp.

Cole
              Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Working...
              X