EMG 81/85 vs 57/66 sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG 81/85 vs 57/66 sets?

Indeed, swapping the 81/85 around (putting 85 in bridge) yields a slightly fuller, more balanced tone in the bridge and a little extra clarity in the neck. Plus, it's fast and free to do

I'm also a huge fan of the 18V mod on these models

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      Hmm...that could be interesting!

The old 60 and 60A models were surprisingly good in the bridge. I could see the 66 being worth a shot!

Pole spacing might be an issue with the 66 if you got trem spacing

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Yeah. Someone else kinda eluded to that. The C-1 is meant as a "metal" guitar. I lean towards clean, Fender "Blackface" kinda tone. I bought it for its looks. Look for an EMG 81/85 pup set for sale in a theater near you soon.
        Maybe you can try an EMG 60 in the bridge. I have one in my Godin Exit 22 and really like it. Very sensitive to the volume knob. I use it for blues, classic rock and '80s hard rock. Good clean too.
        From Wikipedia:
        History and design[edit]
        The EMG 60 was originally designed for the Fender Tele-Elite Model in 1979 until Fender changed its plans. The EMG 60 features close aperture coils loaded with ceramic magnets. This produces a brighter attack than other humbuckers produced by EMG. It has a higher peak than other EMG models but a steeper resonance slope.

The EMG 60 is used primarily by rhythm guitarists who play heavy metal. The EMG 60 has lots of output and clarity giving it its distinctive crunch when used with lots of mid-range. For lead guitar, it has its own distinctive tone as a clear but fat sound. It is also often used for its clean tone, providing a very bright and almost single coil-like characteristic in the neck position.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
          Pole spacing might be an issue with the 66 if you got trem spacing
          No more of an issue than any regular spaced humbucker in the bridge position of a Strat...which works fine, and was done by many people for many years before T/F spaced pickups were invented.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-15-2020, 06:41 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Artie, as mentioned above, try swapping the pickup’s positions. 81b/85n is the classic EMG metal setup, but 85b/81n has a whole different flavor.

Btw, I had the same guitar, and agree with you, it’s pretty killer.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Try the 85 in the bridge and HA in the neck. The HA is supposed to be a single coil in a humbucker package with Alnico magnets. I believe that Blackouts are also compatible. I'm not sure if you have to reverse the pins or not?

Comment

Artie, didn't know you were a Schecter guy! I've loved my C-1 Classic for years and have done everything from metal back down to Blues, classic rock and even classical clean playing.

I also have to throw in for putting the 85 in the bridge. But in general if you aren't thrilled after that, EMG may not be your bag. Trying the Livewire set you already know is a good bet.

As someone who doesn't play metal, what was it about that particular guitar you liked? Mine has the amber quilt top and "vine of life" inlay but I never liked Schecters without fancy finishes

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

What you really need to try is the fishman fluence classics. Pure Paf tones but better, then switch over to voice 2 for the best JB you’ve ever heard. The wiring drops right in, but I always add a push pull or 2 for voicings and splitting.

I’m sure the live wires are nice to, but the fishman are phenomenal.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm definitely going to swap the two positions. I think it's like a 10-minute mod. Probably before the day is over.

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post

Artie, didn't know you were a Schecter guy! I've loved my C-1 Classic for years and have done everything from metal back down to Blues, classic rock and even classical clean playing.

I also have to throw in for putting the 85 in the bridge. But in general if you aren't thrilled after that, EMG may not be your bag. Trying the Livewire set you already know is a good bet.

As someone who doesn't play metal, what was it about that particular guitar you liked? Mine has the amber quilt top and "vine of life" inlay but I never liked Schecters without fancy finishes

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                    Yeah, I like Schecters. Besides the C-1 and Blackjack, I also have a cool old Daisy Rock, in a rare and unusual Champagne Sparkle. Given that the CEO and founder of Daisy Rock is the wife of the CEO of Schecter, I'm sure it's basically a Schecter. It has Schecter design and character all over it. I have PG's in it. Sounds killer.

The C-1 was purely an impulse buy. It was gorgeous and felt good in my hands. I like Schecter necks. I knew I could always swap pups, so I didn't even care about that. I'll try the bridge/neck flip, then go from there.

Comment

Artie, those Blackouts you bought from me were from my C-1. It’s too bad it’s such a “metal” looking guitar, with the DD JB/59 style pickups it’s great all around guitar and the neck feel great, it’s thicker than most guitars that look like this.

The two options I’d be interested in trying would be the RetroActives and Fluence Classics. Are your EMG Quick Connect? Could be an easy swap.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes, they are. (Quik connects, I mean.) Those Blackouts are one of the things I was going to try in there. You didn't like them?

(Probably a dumb question, since you sold them to me.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          Yes, they are. (Quik connects, I mean.) Those Blackouts are one of the things I was going to try in there. You didn't like them?

(Probably a dumb question, since you sold them to me.)
                          Well, to be honest the C-1 was supposed to be on the selling block but after I put the Duncan Designed back in I started playing it a bit again. Nothing against the Blackouts, I was selling a bunch of stuff to get my two Fender Elites.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That's interesting. My C-1 is probably one of my most expensive guitars. Which DD's did you put in?

Comment

They were the stock set, the JB/59 style ones with coil splits. It don’t currently have a JB loaded guitar, I had forgotten what a great pickup it really is (and it’s not even a “real” one)

Its a C-1 Elite, I got it from a forum member here quite a while ago. It was definitely affordable and the quality is really quite good.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Although I don't have any first-hand experience with the EMG81X it seems like the X series has a bit more headroom and isn't as compressed sounding. However, it sounds more scooped from this demo.

Comment

Working...
                                X