banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Duncan stop making the Livewire Classic II line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Duncan stop making the Livewire Classic II line?

I don't see them on the website. Almost everything is Blackout something. Seems a shame. I thought the Livewires were their premier active line.

Re: Did Duncan stop making the Livewire Classic II line?

I really love the original 18v Livewires. The Blackout demo on the website sounds horribly shrill.

Comment

I have a couple of those. One is the Livewire Metal version. I've never installed it into anything yet, just because I don't have a good application for something so hot. I suppose I should, just to hear what it's all about.

Comment

The live wires metal and the blackouts metal are pretty much the same thing, just the blackouts used 9v instead of 18 and would be in phase with Emg’s if paired together.

The live wires classic and the live wires 2 classics were something their own though and they were pretty good from what I remember. But now you’ve got Emg retro actives and fishman classics which for that sound are arguably better, in a shrinking market. The Emg’s and fishman come preloaded in several guitars from schecter to charvel. I can’t think of anything other than the mustaine v’s that had live wires, and those were just active versions of a jazz/JB set, not the classics.

Comment

Duncan did a really poor job of marketing the Classic II series. It's their weakest point when it comes to new designs, honestly. The Classic II's are pretty remarkable for what they are, but the focus was entirely on the "Blackouts" line when it came to marketing dollars, which is a shame.

The same thing is happening with the Duality series. There's tons of potential there and they are essentially the "next gen" of SD's active technology, but Duality pickups are selling for as low as $50 ea. and dealers can't move them because no one really knows about them even though they've been out for a couple years now.

If you get a chance to try the Classic II's, I strongly suggest you do!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            If you get a chance to try the Classic II's, I strongly suggest you do!
            Funny you should say that. Let me give you a little background story. Several years ago, I went to my favorite Duncan dealer/guitar shop, and ordered the Livewire Classic II Strat calibrated set, in white. They accidentally ordered the Classic II humbucker set. I have a really good relationship with these folks, having done some repairs and stuff for them. I asked them what kind of deal they could do to save them from sending them back. They let me have them at cost. Then they ordered the right thing.

So I've had the Strat set in my Fender Roadhouse Strat for quite awhile. Absolutely love 'em. (One of the best, underrated Strat sets ever.) But the humbuckers have been sitting on the shelf for years. Now, since I'm not that crazy about the EMG 81/85 set in my Schecter C-1 Platinum, they're going in there. But there's a problem:

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-1 Platinum-02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	5821046 Click image for larger version

Name:	Livewire_Classic_II.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	5821047

There's no way I can put those white 'buckers in that gorgeous guitar. So, I want to take them to a local paint shop, that specializes in custom air-brushing, and get them done some way to match the Schecter. I suppose I could put them in for now, then take them out later for cosmetics.

I'm still trying to decide on the paint scheme.

Comment

I actually don't think the white would look that bad...
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I actually don't think the white would look that bad...
                We will find out. I want to hear them.

P.S. They aren't really white. They're between white and cream. Kinda, an unpainted look. It's almost as if, Seymour Duncan intended that you''d paint them.

P.S.2. Dang! If I paint them, it will cover up the Duncan logo. I want to keep that. Sigh.
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-09-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X