X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boomy Neck Pickup

Hi
    Does any off you have some tips to tveak a boomy neck pickup,
    i have a sg with black winter set, the bridge i have dialed in to my liking, but the neck i cant get right, it is the 5 and 6 string that is boomy

any help will be great :-)

Re: Boomy Neck Pickup

Back it away from the strings a hair or two. Start there, obviously back it away on the side of the 5 and 6 string, where it is booming. Start there and report back, a boomy neck is not as common in SG guitars that I've played when compared to Les Pauls, so tweaking the pickup height should be enough.
    Soundcloud

Comment

My cure for boomy neck pickups is to get rid of the alnico 5 or ceramic magnet and replace it with A2 or A3.

But I use paf style neck humbuckers. Not super overwound Death Metal pickups like the Black Winter.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The simple "demud mod" often helps this situation. It's fairly cheap & easy, and equally as easy to reverse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	demud.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	5821025

Comment

All of the above options work well

In order, I'd recommend them as follows:

1) lower the pickup. Quickest / easiest to do, reversible, etc. etc.

if that doesn't work...

2) magnet swap. Cheap, reversible, lets you hone your tone. CON: you may not be comfortable doing these kinds of mods (though they are easy to learn!), and this will void your warranty on your pickup

if that doesn't work...

3) demud mod. Also cheap and reversible. Also less time consuming than a magnet swap and doesn't void your warranty, I've done this before and liked it, and I think I've even posted about it on the forum. However, the reason why I would say that a magnet swap is better is that your tone will probably be better with a magnet swap than with a cap (in my opinion... as all things tone related are opinions....). A cap will cut certain frequencies out entirely; a magnet swap will still allow a full frequency response, but will just alter the emphasis.

That's my 2 cents.
          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Thanks everyone, i will give the backing off another shot, if it ends in magnet swap, is there a way that shall be used when it is 3 magnets vs 1 magnet
            the warranty is off anyway, they are over 12 months old :-)

Comment

I always used to run my pickups very low (far from the strings), with a heavy string gauge- that sounded the best to me

-Erl
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Hi again i backed the neck all the way down and adjusted up from there, ended at 4,2 mm at the 6 string and 3,5 at the first string, but there is still some bomyness on 5 and 6 string, do you think the
                .01uf mod will thake away the rest

Comment

Originally posted by MB89 View Post
                  . . . do you think the .01uf mod will thake away the rest
                  It's unique to each situation. You have to try it, to see if you like it. But, it is simple to do. And fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Ok thanks, i am not using the pickups for split/coil tap, is it just to solder the cap between the north and South wire

Comment

Have you tried turning the screws on the 5-6 strings? Way lower than the other 4 strings. That solved the boominess on my Les Paul with Burstbucker '61 pickups. Lowering the bass side of the pickup was not working for me (I lost definition).

Comment

A suggestion if you are feeling really adventurous, move the pickup 3/4" towards the middle. Okay, maybe not so practical, but sometimes I think that's where neck pickups really belong.

Comment

SG's already have their neck pickups as if they were 24 fretters and they should not be boomy by nature, especially with Black Winters which are the polar opposite of boomy. At this point it's difficult to say whether getting a satisfactory result would take a setup tweak, extended customizing or even flipping the guitar.

Comment

Ah yes so they do, guess I was thinking of the LP Specials that have the pickup right up against the neck.

Comment

Thats worth a try, did you lower Them under the top og pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X