Boomy Neck Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boomy Neck Pickup

First, adjust your pole pieces so you have even string to string volume. Unadjusted ('flat-poled") humbuckers have overly loud low E and A, an overly weak D, and an overly loud G. Balancing the string volume in chords can improve muddiness and boominess.

Next, adjust pickup height until the low midrange sounds good to you. If you need more treble, raise the pole pieces equally across the board. If you have too much low end, take care of it at the amp by running your bass knob lower. Each adjustment will affect other things on the pickup's tone as well, so you will have to go through this process a few times to dial it in precisely.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks i always set the pole'S to match the fretboard radius, and tweeks from there to get even String volume
      The problem is i can't tweek the boominess away with pole and height adjustment

Comment

I wonder if you might just have a problem with one of the pots or a bad connection somewhere and are bleeding some of the good frequencies. It would be interesting to disconnect the neck pick up and come straight out to the amp, bypassing all the electronics, and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by MB89 View Post
          Hi
          Does any off you have some tips to tveak a boomy neck pickup,
          i have a sg with black winter set, the bridge i have dialed in to my liking, but the neck i cant get right, it is the 5 and 6 string that is boomy

any help will be great :-)
          You wouldn't happen to be using an amp that has Celestion G12T-75 speakers in it, would you? Or another type speaker that has similiar accentuated low end
          voicing?

A couple years back I had a Dean Icon guitar that had a very boomy sounding low E string, and I tried many of the methods above to try and resolve it. Including the Demud Mod and even replacing the stock passive pickups with active pickups. And running the guitar through a EQ pedal where i cut the low frequencies a lot. None of these actions fully resolved that boomy Low E problem. (The Demud Mod and then later changing to active pickups did help a lot, but neither resolved it 100%)

Months later, I decided to sell the guitar - partly for that reason. So before listing it for sale, I returned it back to stock condition. And so after rewiring all the electronics back to stock condition, I had to naturally plug the guitar into an amp to listen and test that my wiring work had no issues. And I discovered that the boomy low E problem was gone. I thought about it and realized that I had recently replaced the G12T-75 speakers in my amp with different speakers. That was the only difference. So apparently the speakers were the cause of the problem.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the Neck pickup was a PAF style humbucker with an A5 magnet.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-14-2020, 08:08 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
            My cure for boomy neck pickups is to get rid of the alnico 5 or ceramic magnet and replace it with A2 or A3.

But I use paf style neck humbuckers. Not super overwound Death Metal pickups like the Black Winter.
            I think that still would be a solution in this instance. If he swapped out the 3 double thick ceramics and replaced them with 1 regular thickness cermaic, it absolutely would be less boomy. (And balance better volume wise.)
            Last edited by Clint 55; 07-14-2020, 10:42 PM.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              You wouldn't happen to be using an amp that has Celestion G12T-75 speakers in it, would you? Or another type speaker that has similiar accentuated low end
              voicing?

A couple years back I had a Dean Icon guitar that had a very boomy sounding low E string, and I tried many of the methods above to try and resolve it. Including the Demud Mod and even replacing the stock passive pickups with active pickups. And running the guitar through a EQ pedal where i cut the low frequencies a lot. None of these actions fully resolved that boomy Low E problem. (The Demud Mod and then later changing to active pickups did help a lot, but neither resolved it 100%)

Months later, I decided to sell the guitar - partly for that reason. So before listing it for sale, I returned it back to stock condition. And so after rewiring all the electronics back to stock condition, I had to naturally plug the guitar into an amp to listen and test that my wiring work had no issues. And I discovered that the boomy low E problem was gone. I thought about it and realized that I had recently replaced the G12T-75 speakers in my amp with different speakers. That was the only difference. So apparently the speakers were the cause of the problem.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the Neck pickup was a PAF style humbucker with an A5 magnet.

I am using it with my marshall dsl 40cr with the stock celestion v-type speaker dont know if they are similar, and my boss gt100 for effekts now and then

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                I think that still would be a solution in this instance. If he swapped out the 3 double thick ceramics and replaced them with 1 regular thickness cermaic, it absolutely would be less boomy. (And balance better volume wise.)

Is it possible to thake the 3 magnets and replace it with one standard size alnico or ceramics (Sorry if it is a stupid question)

Comment

I am using it with my marshall dsl 40cr with the stock celestion v-type speaker dont know if they are similar, and my boss gt100 for effekts now and then
                  Ah, Celestion V Type. Ok, my earlier point does not apply to that speaker. I owned a V Type not too long ago. It definitely is not voiced with an emphasis on the low end frequencies.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Is it possible to thake the 3 magnets and replace it with one standard size alnico or ceramics (Sorry if it is a stupid question)
                    Yes, it isn't too complicated. Just get the fat mags out of there and put the regular thickness mag in the middle with the poles facing the same way. Then put spacers on each side.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Yes, it isn't too complicated. Just get the fat mags out of there and put the regular thickness mag in the middle with the poles facing the same way. Then put spacers on each side.
                      Thanks thats awesome

Comment

No prob! I hope you end up getting it dialed.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

No prob! I hope you end up getting it dialed.
                          Thanks i will tweek some more, and if nothing of that helps i will try differnt mags, do you know if this 62mm x 3.2mm x 12.5mm is standard size and what seymour normal use

Comment

Working...
                          X