Getting my "Meteora" fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my "Meteora" fix!

I recently posted a thread highlighting my admiration for the new Fender Meteora body shape. Of course, the Limited Edition model I'm in love with typically goes for $2K USD, so I decided to take a more budget-oriented "partscaster" approach...

In case you didn't see my recent thread in the Pickup Lounge, I just ordered a set of the brand new 6-string versions of the Wes Hauch "Jupiter" dual-rail pickups:

I bought them on a whim without having a proper home for them and then realized how cool it would be to have "Jupiter" pickups in a "Meteora" guitar!

So, I just placed an order for 2 "MA" (i.e. "M"eteor"A") bodies in ASH from Rosser Guitars:

These incredible bodies are less than $120 shipped and get rave reviews! I've seen a few "MA" bodies put together by customers and they look great! Plus, rumor has it that Ash isn't going to be available much longer.

The first body is going to be more classic, featuring standard Tele hardware and pickups just like Fender's "Limited Edition" model, except that I'm having the neck pickup routed for a typical Strat-sized single. I already have a DiMarzio Area 61 for the neck that I plan to pair with a NOS Virtual "Hot" T bridge pickup I've been holding onto.

The second is going to be a bit more modern and will feature dual humbuckers (the Jupiter set!) and a Wilkinson 2-point trem.

What's left to figure out is the neck and finish for each of these. For necks, I'm thinking quartersawn Maple Warmoth units with black blocks just like Fender's "Limited Edition" Meteora:

Not sure what the grain of the wood will look like on these, but I'm leaning toward a flashy lime green finish in either metallic or metalflake for the second, more modern body. I wish Warmoth offered a painting service! I'd love to have them spray it with "Goblin Flake" to match the Tele body I bought from them:

That said, what do you guys think I should do with the more "classic" body?

Re: Getting my "Meteora" fix!

Wow :o

I feel that I need to congratulate you, about your awesome purchase and plans;
    instead of being jealous .

I don't know, if you're doing two guitars, maybe try to get them as "different" as possible? To cover the most ground?

I guess that you own many other guitars tho.

rock on \m/
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Sweet projects. Color is so subjective, but I'd lean towards one of those "odd" colors like what's in my first post in this thread:

Comment

I dig the idea. I dig the green, either metallic or metalflake should do... unless you get a body in your hands with some wild ash grain. If the grain is right, I would do a transparent lime green to show the grain. Could look out of this world for sure.

I can't wait to see it when it is done!
        Soundcloud

Comment

Ooooh...I didn't think about transparent lime green! Hmm...

Artie, I'm a big fan of vintage blue/green/turquoise colors like this, as well:

I also dig bright purples, pinks, and tangerine orange colors!

Has anyone heard of the Guitar Paint Guys? LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            I have now. Thanks for the link Masta.

Comment

Ooooh...I didn't think about transparent lime green! Hmm...

Artie, I'm a big fan of vintage blue/green/turquoise colors like this, as well:

I also dig bright purples, pinks, and tangerine orange colors!

Wow, this is awesome! Maybe I should have them finish my next Warmoth bodies... now if only I could find a local tech to assemble them. I am getting tired of assembling and soldering. I think doing over 20 of them is enough for me. From now on, I just want to play them... but I sure used to tinker with everything.
              Soundcloud

Comment

Any idea how to get a bright lime green transparent finish like PRS' Eriza Verde? It's one of my favorites:

If I could slightly darken the grain first, a green like that could look really cool with the black pickups/pickguard, etc.

Here's what I DON'T want...too dark/emerald green, not enough grain contrast:

Last edited by Masta' C; 07-07-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

However it comes out, I'll be interested. I'd like to get a Meteora body, but with back routed controls.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Ummm, Warmoth DOES offer a painting service. But only on their bodies.

Those will be pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing how they come out.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      However it comes out, I'll be interested. I'd like to get a Meteora body, but with back routed controls.
                      He makes that, too! It's called the MARR (RR for Rear-Routed): LINK

Personally, I think it loses a little flare and character without that big swoopy pickguard on front

Comment

Any idea how to get a bright lime green transparent finish like PRS' Eriza Verde? It's one of my favorites:

If I could slightly darken the grain first, a green like that could look really cool with the black pickups/pickguard, etc.

Here's what I DON'T want...too dark/emerald green, not enough grain contrast:
                        I agree, with your plan and vision, you need an actual bright almost neon lime green if you go transparent. I do not know how to do it, but I do know it can be done.

I do not have a lime green one, but I do have a transparent green ash Strat body. I am kinda a big LP guy, so this guitar has always been a low priority for me but it looks so good that I do not want to part with it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200707_142816.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	5821026
                        Soundcloud

Comment

I actually have a NOS Mighty Mite body in a VERY similar green that I plan to sell to fund these 2 new bodies!

It looks just like yours on the back and the top has a killer maple quilt veneer that looks stellar in person!

Don't get me wrong...the brighter Emerald Green tone is downright sexy on a Strat!

But, I think I want more of a yellow-green "lime" color for the Meteora with its retro-futuristic lines
                          Last edited by Masta' C; 07-07-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Wow, that does look a lot like mine on the back!
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                            X