banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonic difference betweem tall and short (normal height) coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic difference betweem tall and short (normal height) coil?

Take 2 tele bridge pickups, both same size wire, same DCR, both A5, but one is the typical bobbin for a tele bridge pickup and the other is tall. What is the difference in tone? I have one in it now with a tall bobbin and one on the way with same specs but normal size bobbin and wondering "generally" what difference i will hear. (yes, i realize there are other factors but *generally* what diff?)

Re: Sonic difference betweem tall and short (normal height) coil?

if everything else is the same (wire, wind pattern, tension, etc..) id expect the taller bobbin to have a narrower more focused sound but it wont be a world different

Comment

In very simple terms, a taller bobbin (everything else kept equal) = brighter, clearer tone, slightly reduced output

Comment

Thanks, thats sounds about like what i would like the difference to be.

Comment

I learned something today. I never thought about a taller bobbin, as I don't own a Tele.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just when you think there isn't much more to know about guitar electronics, Jeremy or MastaC feed me some humility. So glad I love learning.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I actually have a pickup design I've been working on that takes advantage of varying coil shapes and heights. I'm currently re-working some aspects to try and make the effects even stronger and get everything to fit nicely in a "humbucker"-sized package, but it's a cool idea that I hope I can one day reveal as a working product.

Comment

Bobbin dimensions are vitally important. Its why a Jazzmaster pickup has its own tone.....even when wound to the same nominal DCR as a strat pickup. The very narrow bobbin makes for a wide coil.....which senses more of the string. Also more of the wire is closer to the string vibration, meaning more signal.
                The tall bobbin would be the opposite.....more wire further from the string and a narrower sensing 'window' as you have more turns per layer so the wire occupies a thinner physical space.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  Bobbin dimensions are vitally important. Its why a Jazzmaster pickup has its own tone.....even when wound to the same nominal DCR as a strat pickup. The very narrow bobbin makes for a wide coil.....which senses more of the string. Also more of the wire is closer to the string vibration, meaning more signal.
                  The tall bobbin would be the opposite.....more wire further from the string and a narrower sensing 'window' as you have more turns per layer so the wire occupies a thinner physical space.
                  I'm not doubting you because i know very little about the tech side of pickups. So don't take this the wrong way, but why would a wider coil sense more of the string? The magnet senses the string, that much i know. And i can logically see how a wider coil might sound different because more of the wire is further away from the magnet. But why would the string be sensed any different with the same magnets? The coil doesn't pick up string vibrations so i don't understand why more coil being close to the string would matter. Closer to the magnet i could see tho.

Comment

well in a single coil the magnetic field comes out of the middle of the PU (Pole pieces) and travels all around the pickup on the sides to reenter at the bottom of the PU.
                    Now if the coil geometrie is wider the magnetic field also is wider and therefore causes a larger "window" under the strings.
                    the magnetic field doesn't travel through the winding, 'bout around it.

Comment

Working...
                    X