Wow! What happened to Peavey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! What happened to Peavey?

Peavey used to have a reasonable variety of nice guitars. The Omniac and HP were both sweet. Now they have only one guitar: The $150 Raptor!

What the heck happened? Things must be worse than I thought.

Re: Wow! What happened to Peavey?

Well yes. They are.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Used to have a T-60 I was quite fond of, other than it was super heavy, yeah didn't know they were doing so bad either, that raptor is nasty, but for $150 if I ever want a strat clone to abuse, I'd rather have that than a mexi one

Comment

Didn't the company come to a grinding halt a couple of years ago?

I do remember they were trying valiantly to keep all their manufacturing here in the USA when their larger competitors were moving production overseas.

That may have left them at a serious disadvantage in the dog-eat-dog arena of corporate competition.

There was a news story that they had shuttered their factory and were selling off their whole warehouse full of amp parts & partially completed guitars. The was maybe around 2015?

[EDiT:that's a news story, not a new story. Sorry.]
        Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-08-2020, 02:43 AM.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

They are basically an office in Mississippi that orders 6505s from China to sell to Guitar Center now.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Sad, but likely true

Comment

I wonder if all my older MIA Peaveys will go up in value now?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                I wonder if all my older MIA Peaveys will go up in value now?
                No.

Peavey stuff like Carvin & so many others is worthless.

Im sure there is a 14 yr old boy out there somewhere that will give you $150 tho.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I thought Peavey was taking a dirt nap.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    No.

Peavey stuff like Carvin & so many others is worthless.
                    IMO, Carvin guitars and amps have taken a price hike since the shock over the name change to Kiesel has settled! In a sense, they are even more collectible now and I think the prominence of Kiesel among the younger players today has brought awareness to the old "Carvin" lineage.

The popular Peavey amp heads are still bringing very decent money. Heck, even the Chinese-made ValveKings are selling at very strong prices right now.

But, as for the few guitars they made, I expect even the USA-made stuff to sink to '90s USA Washburn levels, where arguably ugly, yet well featured and nicely constructed MIA super strats go for sub-$400 all the time. The exception being, obviously, the Wolfgang (EVH ties) and its offshoots, which are likely to be the few to increase in value over time.

Comment

I don't think Peavey or Carvin or most brands or guitars in general will continue to increase in value.

The boomers are dying off, Gen-X is still broke, and the millennials aren't doing any better. Music is getting more electronic. Bands are no where near as common as individual artists recording by themselves, especially now that we've been through this crazy quarantine situation for the last several months. All the old baby boomers are dying and their guitars are getting handed down to kids who don't want them and don't care about them, and they're getting sold to other boomers who are dying and handing them down to kids who don't want them and don't care about them.

Name brands like Gibson and Fender are going to stay cool collectible "designer" brands for ultra-rich people. Foreign business types will buy up all the cool old guitars as "investments" and use them to decorate houses. The true believers who play music because they love it will have less and less financial ability to do so as jobs still pay like they did 40 years ago but rent is going up, and will use whatever's available. Most punk shows I go to nowadays, the younger bands are using Squier and ****ty amps and they don't care, if they're even playing rock music and not just doing soft synths on their laptop.

The vintage guitar value explosion from the 90s til the 00s was an aftershock of the .dot bubble and started declining during the 2008 housing crisis. Lots of experts are expecting another 2008-style crisis soon in the wake of this crazy epidemic year. Lots of people saving up for their dream vintage guitars are rethinking their goals and reprioritizing their ambitions. I know I am.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                        IMO, Carvin guitars and amps have taken a price hike since the shock over the name change to Kiesel has settled! In a sense, they are even more collectible now and I think the prominence of Kiesel among the younger players today has brought awareness to the old "Carvin" lineage.

The popular Peavey amp heads are still bringing very decent money. Heck, even the Chinese-made ValveKings are selling at very strong prices right now.

But, as for the few guitars they made, I expect even the USA-made stuff to sink to '90s USA Washburn levels, where arguably ugly, yet well featured and nicely constructed MIA super strats go for sub-$400 all the time. The exception being, obviously, the Wolfgang (EVH ties) and its offshoots, which are likely to be the few to increase in value over time.
                        Kiesel is "prominate" with people who don't know the value of guitars & amps. Same with 90% of all current music gear. I see people trying to sell $2K Kiesel & Carvin stuff all the time but just because the owner was stupid enough to pay those prices doesn't mean anyone else is. As for PV & Carvin it took me over a year to sell that stuff 15 years ago. I'll never waste my time with that crap ever again.

I have a cousin who thinks if he puts $300 into his $250 Ibanez Bass he will have a $700 guitar when he wants to sell it.
                        I try to tell him it doesn't work like that but he's younger & just doesn't get it.
                        There are whole generations of young folks that think a Chinese made Schec-turd is worth $1000 because thats what they paid. NEGATIVE.
                        I just tried to sell a new $200+ set of Zakk Wylde EMG pups for LP for $125. COULDN'T GIVE THEM AWAY.

You can polish a $300 turd but its still just a turd.

But hey is someone likes to sell $75 dollar amps & guitars go for it.
                        Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of how BC Rich kind of shutdown for a couple of years. Maybe Peavey will also reemerge with $1,600 super strats with record breaking amounts of binding

Comment

That's fine. I love 'em. They're all keepers.

Comment

My block letter 5150 head and matching cab might be one of the few Peavey products that holds some kind of value. Maybe that and the Wolfgangs, which are still excellent guitars, btw.

I’m guessing most stuff will continue to drop if they haven’t bottomed out already...
                              Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                              X