Wow! What happened to Peavey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wow! What happened to Peavey?

All the manufacturing moved overseas a few years ago. Sad that it happened but they simply could not compete. At the same time the product line got trimmed down.

Comment

My motel tonight is in Meridian
      I will swing by and look in the window
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        I don't think Peavey or Carvin or most brands or guitars in general will continue to increase in value. The boomers are dying off, Gen-X is still broke, and the millennials aren't doing any better. Music is getting more electronic. Bands are no where near as common as individual artists recording by themselves...All the old baby boomers are dying and their guitars are getting handed down to kids who don't want them and don't care about them...
        I don't buy for a second that guitars are becoming irrelevant due to electronic music rising in popularity nor "kids" not caring about their parents' old gear any longer. Those arguments are overplayed and have been for the past 10-15 years with zero real-world proof to back them up.

The truth is that the guitar market is the LARGEST it has ever been and it's continuing to grow!

Gear from the '70s and '80s that was shunned by mainstream players is cool again and manufacturers have steadily moved into the digital space to accompany that expanding user base of creators who make music from their bedrooms and home studios.

Guitars have become a part of genres that used to be practically anti-guitar and new technologies are emerging all the time which keep it extremely relevant.

"Bands" may be less prominent (not sure if that's actually the case), but band-like entities are finding new ways to collaborate thanks to technology. Check out this incredibly long-distance collaboration by several talented artists, including a great guitarist clearly inspired by John Petrucci. Sure, they have a "band" name, but you'll probably never see them in person! Still great music and full of catchy guitars:

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        Kiesel is "prominate" with people who don't know the value of guitars & amps. Same with 90% of all current music gear. I see people trying to sell $2K Kiesel & Carvin stuff all the time but just because the owner was stupid enough to pay those prices doesn't mean anyone else is. As for PV & Carvin it took me over a year to sell that stuff 15 years ago. I'll never waste my time with that crap ever again....
        Geez, man, this seems to be your attitude about pretty much everything! I think your gloss should say "Eternal Grumpmaster"!
        Last edited by Masta' C; 07-08-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

At least Big Jack Johnson liked the Patriot. I think I have 3 or 4 of those. Unfortunately, the "live" performances aren't in great fidelity or resolution. I guess they didn't have GoPro's back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            I don't buy for a second that guitars are becoming irrelevant due to electronic music rising in popularity nor "kids" not caring about their parents' old gear any longer. Those arguments are overplayed and have been for the past 10-15 years with zero real-world proof to back them up.

The truth is that the guitar market is the LARGEST it has ever been and it's continuing to grow!

Gear from the '70s and '80s that was shunned by mainstream players is cool again and manufacturers have steadily moved into the digital space to accompany that expanding user base of creators who make music from their bedrooms and home studios.

Guitars have become a part of genres that used to be practically anti-guitar and new technologies are emerging all the time which keep it extremely relevant.

"Bands" may be less prominent (not sure if that's actually the case), but band-like entities are finding new ways to collaborate thanks to technology. Check out this incredibly long-distance collaboration by several talented artists, including a great guitarist clearly inspired by John Petrucci. Sure, they have a "band" name, but you'll probably never see them in person! Still great music and full of catchy guitars:

Geez, man, this seems to be your attitude about pretty much everything! I think your gloss should say "Eternal Grumpmaster"!
            "Retail" sales does not accurately reflect what people are actually paying. As for me im a great prson with a great outlook on life in general but im done flushing money down the toilet on substandard gear. Frankly you're just an anonmyous person on the internet taking a shot at me because i don't agree with you. You would hardly be in the minority.

BTW : this is a "Peavey" thread, what do you expect im mean really they're the bottom-feeders of music gear ever sinking lower and lower.

At this point "Peavey" is just a shell company for Hartleys Taxes, he's never been the cutting edge of anything but cheezy.
            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

im a great prson with a great outlook on life in general but im done flushing money down the toilet on substandard gear. Frankly you're just an anonmyous person on the internet taking a shot at me because i don't agree with you. You would hardly be in the minority.
              I bet you're a GREAT person! It's just that you always seem to be bashing something, going off on tangents to talk down on something and/or extrapolating generalizations to the extremes with a rather pessimistic undercurrent. That comes across a bit..."grumpy" is all I was saying!

P.S.- "Taking shots at you" is a total exaggeration. And bad gloss is still cooler than no gloss.

Comment

P.S.-P.S.- I just noticed that Artie is a "Slutbucker Pimpologist"...that's awesome!

Comment

I bet you're a GREAT person! It's just that you always seem to be bashing something, going off on tangents to talk down on something and/or extrapolating generalizations to the extremes with a rather pessimistic undercurrent. That comes across a bit..."grumpy" is all I was saying!

P.S.- "Taking shots at you" is a total exaggeration. And bad gloss is still cooler than no gloss.

Just tired of seeing this same topic/different day over & over. Has no indictment on me as a person or my mission statement.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Just tired of seeing this same topic/different day over & over.
                    What topic...Peavey? Or "substandard gear"?

To the first, I don't think Peavey gets brought up much at all. To the second, "substandard" is highly subjective.

Comment

I don't see that chart saying anything besides people with money are spending more money on guitar things, which just makes guitar things harder for poorer people to buy. I don't see any indication that the general population is playing guitar more often. I think people in their 30s now are on the younger side of the whole "buy and collect expensive guitars and amps" thing as far as the average middle-class working person is concerned, especially as the middle class gets smaller and smaller and more and more people are unemployed and in poverty.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Nowhere in that chart is anything you said actually confirmed (nor denied, admittedly), but people see what they want to see. Still, there are plenty of signs elsewhere that the guitar market is still thriving and doing better than it was 10 years ago.

As for the "class" argument, we live in an era where $300 in 2020 dollars buys a pretty solid guitar and amp sims are free online. In the '80s and '90s, you had to spend way over that (in '80s and '90s dollars, which is $$$$ equivalent today) to get what you can get on a serious budget now.

Regarding the "value" of older instruments like Peavey guitars, I'm in agreement with you...it's highly unlikely that they will ever hold any real value to the next generation. Especially when the culture of attitudes toward products like guitars is about "more", "newer", "flashier" and "better".

Comment

In the last 2 years the music industry actually came out & said people are buying less & less guitars & gear especially expensive stuff basically cuz new music has no "guitar hero's" and most new music have no guitar parts whatsoever.

70% of people have real world problems like paying for health care/rent/utilities/food especially right now.

$5000 Les pauls & $4500 tube amps are first world problems for Trust fund kids.

As for Masta C trying to subtly bully me into acting & feeling the way he wants me to.

[and if you wern't you would not have 4 rebuttles to my original post] ....

I live my life by my set of rules and pay for my own internet.

Cant make it anymore clear than that. And yes Peavey crap gets brought up every week. Its a small internet and i spent less than an hour here per week.

I try to share things that might help people and that are more interesting than "what tubes for my 5150" ?

This is the reality and end of the line where most PV type Chinese mass produced crap end up, clogging up the CL's of the world.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Yes, obviously one person selling a modified 6505+ on Craigslist means that Peavey never made good amps.

When the world re-opens, go to a metal concert. Count the number of bands playing some variant of Peavey 5150 or XXX/JSX. The 5150 has been the gold standard for high-gain tone for 30 years, and has been used on more metal albums than probably anything else for a reason, and that reason isn't "it's crap".

Similar with those $1000 Schecters you mention. Not only are they not made in China (South Korea is a very different country than China), but they're also excellent instruments, with a build quality at least as good as anything that Gibson or Fender have ever put out at any price range (not that that's saying much in Gibson's case, LOL).

Also, "most new musichave no guitar parts whatsoever," what? Have you heard of someone named Taylor Swift? You know, the biggest pop-star of the last decade, who comes from a country music background and who plays acoustic guitar in a huge number of her songs? Sure, she may not be Joe Satriani... but she's a competent professional, and probably a better player than anyone posting on this forum (including me). I know it's cool to disparage the musicianship of pop musicians on guitar forums, but there's a lot of absolutely beastly players in the pop world -- David Bowie (RIP), Prince, and Steve Lukather all come to mind instantly. Any session guitarist for a pop-country band is an absolute monster of a player, even if you don't know their name, even if they're not busting out "look at me!" shred solos every thirty seconds. Any studio session guitarist who gets called in for a pop album (and there's a whole lot of that...) could play circles around any of our delusional rock-star fever dreams about our own skills. Say what you will about pop music, but it's being made by some of the most incredibly skilled craftsmen and craftswomen in history. It may be vapid advertising jingles being made by the greatest musicians ever, but it's still being made by the greatest musicians ever, and neither you nor I could match what they're doing.

Comment

vs

Gibson’s bankruptcy doesn’t tell the whole story about the future of the guitar. They're not dying; they're as popular as ever.

I am an economist. I should know better, but I don't.

I am a game theorist, don't have much to do with data. So I dunno...

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

In the last 2 years the music industry actually came out & said people are buying less & less guitars & gear especially expensive stuff basically cuz new music has no "guitar hero's" and most new music have no guitar parts whatsoever.

70% of people have real world problems like paying for health care/rent/utilities/food especially right now.

$5000 Les pauls & $4500 tube amps are first world problems for Trust fund kids.

As for Masta C trying to subtly bully me into acting & feeling the way he wants me to.

[and if you wern't you would not have 4 rebuttles to my original post] ....

I live my life by my set of rules and pay for my own internet.

Cant make it anymore clear than that. And yes Peavey crap gets brought up every week. Its a small internet and i spent less than an hour here per week.
                                WOW..."Bullying"?!?! Really?!?! Can't believe a guy who makes such bold statements as you is pulling the victim card. That's a cheap play, my friend, and completely unnecessary!

I bet you 10X over that I'm a much nicer and significantly more "positive" person than you are.

By the way, your comments are in opposition. It seems you despise "substandard" products, but then decry elitism when quality products cost actual money.

I'm at the very low-end of middle class and barely even hanging there at the moment, but I guess I'm part of the "bullying bourgeoisie" class somehow?

Comment

Working...
                                X