Wow! What happened to Peavey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wow! What happened to Peavey?

By the way, I totally expect a slow, drawn-out recession to grab hold and for big expenditures like custom guitars and premium amps to drop significantly over the next year from where things are now, but that simultaneously opens up the market for lower-cost items to increase in popularity and demand.

Economically-speaking, I would be blown away if holiday sales this year could even match last year's. We see housing prices stalling (though still around all-time highs in most areas), fewer people traveling (largely due to restrictions), etc. But there's a definite downstream effect and it's coming.

On the other hand, guitars and music in general have an incredibly low "buy-in" now. Heck, I can get a decent Peavey amp AND a vintage Peavey USA guitar for under $500!

Honestly, I bet sales of musical instruments stay relatively high through this period. After all, more time spent indoors will leave millions of young creatives looking for an outlet and guitar is great for that!

Last edited by Masta' C; 07-08-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Now thats free comedy & not worth the price of admission.
      I don't know any gigging semi-Pro or Pro musicians using Peavey products & i know many.

Maybe 38 years ago. But if you don't mind Mexican amps melting down have-at-it.

The gutting of PV from the inside out as a company is much the same for many US companies & manufacturing abroad, they all sold out & outsourced. Thats self inflicted.

Thats what were talking about, outsourcing to 3rd world labor to manufacture as cheap as possible to reap huge profits. The quality of the instruments or lack there-of is but a symptom of a larger problem while companies try to ride the coat-ails of decades gone by for a namesake from 40 years ago.

I will always call a spade a spade.

Ive never felt a need to buy any EVH cheesy low budget product.

Look at Marshall, cheap Vietnam crap. *** Predict someone is going to try to sell me on the virtues of Vietnam Marshalls.
      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Globalization happened.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          By the way, I totally expect a slow, drawn-out recession to grab hold and for big expenditures like custom guitars and premium amps to drop significantly over the next year from where things are now, but that simultaneously opens up the market for lower-cost items to increase in popularity and demand.

Economically-speaking, I would be blown away if holiday sales this year could even match last year's. We see housing prices stalling (though still around all-time highs in most areas), fewer people traveling (largely due to restrictions), etc. But there's a definite downstream effect and it's coming.

On the other hand, guitars and music in general have an incredibly low "buy-in" now. Heck, I can get a decent Peavey amp AND a vintage Peavey USA guitar for under $500!

Honestly, I bet sales of musical instruments stay relatively high through this period. After all, more time spent indoors will leave millions of young creatives looking for an outlet and guitar is great for that!

Try the next decade including real estate. Everyone i know is selling properties now so they don't get screwed the next 10 years. This happens everytime the GOP cuts taxes > triggers a recession. Ive lived thru them all im going on 60. Plus the C19 thing fugget-a-bout-it. Try Depression not recession. We've been in recession since 2016.
          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-08-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            Globalization happened.
            Wide scale outsourcing started in the 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
              Wide scale outsourcing started in the 1980's.
              Are you saying this because you think I'm not aware? or just adding color?

Globalization could be argued to have gotten legs even earlier at scale... but it didn't catch Peavey or many companies until the 00s.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                P.S.-P.S.- I just noticed that Artie is a "Slutbucker Pimpologist"...that's awesome!
                Somebody else actually came up with that. They decided to call my virtual 3rd humbucker the Slutbucker, since the neck screw was hanging out with the bridge stud. Then they, or someone, called me the Slutbucker Pimpologist, and it stuck.

Guess what the admins called me before that? Wait for it . . . . . "The Peaveyologist."

BTW, all but two of my Peavey guitars are MIA's from 30 to 45 years ago. They work good for me.

Comment

Back on topic, please.

Peavey was one of the biggest companies in the 80s. I think a failure to adjust to a changing market, and hanging their whole brand on EVH just about killed them. I think their issue was one of management.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Now thats free comedy & not worth the price of admission.
                    I don't know any gigging semi-Pro or Pro musicians using Peavey products & i know many.
                    Oh, well you don't know anyone using Peavey, that must mean no one is using them, because you know everyone amirite?

I've seen loads of national and international touring acts using 5150s, 6505s, and JSXs. Just to name a few -- D.R.I. (Spike played a JSX), Watain (both guitarists played 6505s), Destroyer 666 (both guitarists played 6505s), Incantation (McEntee played a 5150), Master (Pat played a 6505), Suffocation (Terrance used a XXX)... the list goes on and on, to the point where I notice it more when I'm seeing see a show and no one uses a 6505/5150. It's regularly used by tons of metal producers including Andy Sneap, Colin Richardson, Tore Stjerna, Frederik Nordstrom, and pretty much everyone else who has mattered in heavy music over the last 25 years. The 5150/6505 has been the standard in metal for a ridiculous length of time, and saying "no one uses Peavey" just shows that you know literally nothing about the genre.

It's actually the local bands that are a lot more likely to be playing high-end "boutique" stuff; in touring bands, the only amp I ever see that's over $1500 new is a Dual Recto; otherwise, it's all 5150s, JSX/XXXs, and DSLs.

Comment

My problem with 5150's/6505's etc..is just that. Everyone & their grand-ma uses them these days and everyone sounds 100% the same. Got no desire to sound like a zillion other players...nothing wrong with those amp's but I would'nt touch any of them them with a barge pole personally.

On the other hand I don't really give a damn where an amp's made if it sounds good and works fine. It's not like any of these amp's are handwired/point-to-point wired etc. They're all PCB based, mass produced, assembly-line kinda amp's (unless you buy some obscure custom built $$$ job) and I personally don't care where that assembly line is located. Anything that sounds fine & works fine (and does'nt cost an arm and a leg) is awesome as **** as far as I'm concerned & all I really care about
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

• Peavey stuff like Carvin & so many others is worthless
                        • Kiesel is "prominate" with people who don't know the value of guitars & amps.
                        • I see people trying to sell $2K Kiesel & Carvin stuff all the time but just because the owner was stupid enough to pay those prices doesn't mean anyone else is
                        • There are whole generations of young folks that think a Chinese made Schec-turd is worth $1000 because thats what they paid.
                        • You can polish a $300 turd but its still just a turd.
                        • im done flushing money down the toilet on substandard gear.
                        • $5000 Les pauls & $4500 tube amps are first world problems for Trust fund kids
                        • "Peavey" is just a shell company for Hartleys Taxes, he's never been the cutting edge of anything but cheezy
                        • I don't know any gigging semi-Pro or Pro musicians using Peavey products
                        • PV type Chinese mass produced crap end up, clogging up the CL's of the world.
                        • if you don't mind Mexican amps melting down have-at-it
                        • EVH cheesy low budget product
                        • Look at Marshall, cheap Vietnam crap.

If you don't own it, it's crap. Point taken. Thank you for your insightful contributions.

As for me, I'd still love to get my hands on a JSX! I guarantee that'll be a classic
                        Last edited by Masta' C; 07-08-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

"What happened to Peavey" ?

Peavey happened to Peavey .... /thread.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-09-2020, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I do know of one unfortunate move they made. There was an episode of "Undercover Boss" where one of the top management team did the usual undercover thing. One particular employee pointed out all the things they were doing wrong. He was getting ready to quit. He had a nice offer from another company for two or three times his current wage. At the reveal, at the end, they told him how they were going to fix all those things, give him a raise, and begged him to stay. He did. About a month after the a show aired, he was fired. Of course, his other job offer went to someone else. Even as a Peavey fan, it was a pretty ****ty thing to do.

Not sure if they're still up, but segments of that episode were on the 'Tube for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              I do know of one unfortunate move they made. There was an episode of "Undercover Boss" where one of the top management team did the usual undercover thing. One particular employee pointed out all the things they were doing wrong. He was getting ready to quit. He had a nice offer from another company for two or three times his current wage. At the reveal, at the end, they told him how they were going to fix all those things, give him a raise, and begged him to stay. He did. About a month after the a show aired, he was fired. Of course, his other job offer went to someone else. Even as a Peavey fan, it was a pretty ****ty thing to do.

Not sure if they're still up, but segments of that episode were on the 'Tube for awhile.
                              Shortly after that TV show [it is a show thats staged] PV laid off [fired] their entire Meridian work force.

On an upbeat & totally positive note [to start the day] MESA Boogie is a Great American success story with the BEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT ON THE PLANET.

Is your amplifier half full or half empty ?
                              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-09-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I didn't know that. Sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X