banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

So I have a Les Paul type guitar that I am trying to identify pickups for its Bridge position that would get me close to a Tele bridge *singlecoil* pickup sound (not a bridge P90 type sound).

Also, I am only interested in hum-canceling candidates.

I know that even the best candidate will still only be sort of Tele like because of the difference in bridge hardware design btw the two guitars and lack of a steel baseplate that a real Tele pickup would have... but I would be happy with getting close.

So, I'm looking for recommendations.

Following are 2 that my research suggests might be good candidates:

1. What about a bridge P-Rail pup with the Rail coil facing the bridge? GuitarDoc described that split Rail coil as sounding Tele like in this older thread (reply # 51) - but he also replaced the Rail coil's original polished A5 magnet with a roughcast UOA5 mag . Anyone else get similar results? With or w/o the mag swap? If it really sounds like a Tele bridge SC, I could achieve hum-canceling by a couple different means, e.g. Spin-A-Split being one... LINK: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post2585963

2. Fralin Twangmaster, LINK: https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/twangmaster/
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-08-2020, 04:38 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Stock (I haven’t tried a magnet swap on one), I wouldn’t go with the PRail for what you’re wanting - to my ears and fingers, the single coil in that pickup wasn’t enough of a single coil to stand-alone. That said, the PRail would give you a great set of options in that position if you added in switching options.

As for the Fralin, given reputation, I would be tempted to try one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
      Stock (I haven’t tried a magnet swap on one), I wouldn’t go with the PRail for what you’re wanting - to my ears and fingers, the single coil in that pickup wasn’t enough of a single coil to stand-alone. That said, the PRail would give you a great set of options in that position if you added in switching options.

As for the Fralin, given reputation, I would be tempted to try one.

A second approach might be to go with a P90-tone (I personally like Railhammer Nuevo-90) and then use a bass contour to thin it out as Reverend do on their models - that’s a really flexible approach (though you’d have to sacrifice a tone pot unless you wanted to do some surgery)

Comment

If you're open to going going active, you can look at some of the Fishman Fluence line. Off the top of my head, the Open Core series has single coil voicing as a third option. Alot of the signature models have a single coil voicing as well.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

GuitarFetish makes an adapter ring to mount a bonafide Tele bridge pup into a humbucker hole. https://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbuck...RS_p_4350.html

Comment

I've wondered that too. Like, an STK version of a Tele pup. There is another option. The Custom Shop offers the "Strat-in-humbucker" pup, where you select the pup that goes in there. A Twangbanger might be the ticket. A bit pricey, but no mods needed. Maybe.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Edit: I think you want noiseless. So that particular pup wouldn't do it.

Comment

Have you considered the StagMag? Sounds great in series, but very Teleish/Stratish in split coil mode. It also sounds terrific in parallel.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Do you want the sounding portion to be single coil form factor? Because I think the WLH and JB have good Tele character.

If you want it to be single coil form factor, you could use the stag mag like gtrdoc said or you could simply stick stax of your choice in the route.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Players have been trying to get a "Gibson' to sound like a "Fender" forever, but no pickup is going to make a Les Paul sound like a Telecaster. I've tried too, and eventually gave up.

I have a Duncan Tele pickup in my Strat but it doesn't sound like a Tele.

IMO, you're going to have to settle for...reality!

Maybe a JB or Custom in parallel. Those sound pretty bright and single coil-ly in parallel.

Maybe a StagMag, although I've never tried one.

Something like that.

But you're not going to get a Les Paul to sound much like a Tele.
                  Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    GuitarFetish makes an adapter ring to mount a bonafide Tele bridge pup into a humbucker hole. https://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbuck...RS_p_4350.html
                    I deleted a prior response where I was saying the adaptor ring wasn't a good fit for the Tele pickup.
                    I just went back and repeated a fit check and I have an idea for a remedy. Let me explain. I already have a Dimarzio Area T 615 in hand that I planned to use with one of those adaptor rings. While I don't have one of those adaptor rings on-hand yet, I had previously did a test fit of sliding a plastic bridge humbucker ring around the Dimarzio pup. A problem was quickly evident: this Dimarzio pup has a bulge in its width on either side, centerd around where the tops and bottoms of the two coils meet. That bulge causes abrasion of the pup winding cloth with both sides of the humbucker mounting ring. And severely enough that you could not freely raise or lower the pickup height on-the-fly - you'd first have to decide whether to have the ring rest above the bulge or below the bulge. So I thought previously that this was a show-stopper to using a real-deal Tele singlecoil and one of those adaptor rings. But after repeating the test fit again just now to be sure, I realized that since the pickup mounting ring is made of plastic, I can just shave it down in those two areas on each side of the ring, to accomodate the bulge on either side of the pickup.

Once the adaptor ring arrives and I have shaved the pickup mounting ring, I will report back if this all worked out.

Thanks Artie for triggering me to re-think/re-try this.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-08-2020, 08:15 AM.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      Do you want the sounding portion to be single coil form factor? Because I think the WLH and JB have good Tele character.

If you want it to be single coil form factor, you could use the stag mag like gtrdoc said or you could simply stick stax of your choice in the route.
                      No, the sounding portion doesn't have to be a singlecoil footprint. I would be happy with whatever gets the job done.

I will keep the JB and WLH mind - thanks Clint! Good input.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Have you considered the StagMag? Sounds great in series, but very Teleish/Stratish in split coil mode. It also sounds terrific in parallel.
                        GuitarDoc, thanks. I did have a Stag Mag in the past - mounted in a Triple Shot - and while I was not evaluating it for Tele-like qualities at that time - I remember not liking it overall, so I don't think I would go back to that pup.

Do you still use the P-Rail split coil in the Bridge position facing outwards in one of your LPs to get Tele-ish tones?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                          Once the adaptor ring arrives and I have shaved the pickup mounting ring, I will report back if this all worked out.

Thanks Artie for triggering me to re-think/re-try this.
                          Cool. That's what I'm here for.

I might try one of these myself. They're cheap, and I've got a Broadcaster sitting around here looking for a project.

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                            If you're open to going going active, you can look at some of the Fishman Fluence line. Off the top of my head, the Open Core series has single coil voicing as a third option. Alot of the signature models have a single coil voicing as well.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                            Thanks but I actually do want to stay passive. I already have ideas for which pickup I want to install in the Neck position and all those candidates are passive.

Also, I've listened to Youtube demos of the Fluence singlecoil mode and while I do think they sound decent, I wasn't hearing anything from them that had Tele bridge pup spank either.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Cool. That's what I'm here for.

I might try one of these myself. They're cheap, and I've got a Broadcaster sitting around here looking for a project.
                              I also have a genuine Fender Tele full bridge hardware piece on-hand that I have as a potential option to cut up with a Dremel - to salvage just the portion that is akin to the GuitarFetish adaptor ring - to use that *in conjunction with* the Guitar Fetish adaptor ring. In case after trying the setup without it, that it may need some steel added in there to help the tonez along.
                              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-08-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X