banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

So I've got an update to share about my "quest" here. I decided to try the Fralin Twangmaster first. If that doesn't work out, I'd probably try the T-Deco next. And there are a few other good suggestions in this thread that would be the next choices if I need to keep re-trying, so thanks eveyone.

I decided to forego the route of cramming a traditional sized Tele singlecoil into a humbucker route because I didn't feel there was a high enough likelihood that the tonal result would be what I wanted, for the extra effort involved just to get it to fit in that slot. Since the sound of a traditional Tele singlecoil is shaped by it being in contact with all that metal on a Tele style bridge and the vibrations of the strings as they pass through the saddles on that Tele style bridge. Whereas the Twangmaster is advertised as managing to sound like a Tele despite the lack of that specific type of bridge design.

I'll post back after the pup arrives and I've wired it up. I was told 1-2 weeks lead time for the pup to be made.

By the way, it happened to be Lindy Fralin himself who picked up the phone when I called yesterday. He was a pleasure to talk to. He said he appreciated being able to talk on the phone while working to break up the monotony of winding Tele pickups non-stop for the last couple days -haha.

Finally, for anyone who is interested in an adaptor plate *made of metal* to fit a Tele singlecoil into a humbucker route, I discovered a guy named Joe Bence who is making them and selling them on Reverb.com - made out of aluminum instead of plastic. These being metal should help add back some of the sound missing from lack of a Tele style bridge. I exchanged a few messages with him with questions about measurements/dimensions and he was quick to respond. So I recommend anyone interested in this kind of product, to check out his listings on Reverb.com
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
      I don't know how the Tele pup in that pic is fitting without having to either enlarge the humbucker route in the guitar or trim material off the baseplate. I just did a fourth fit check where I placed the Dimarzio Area T 615 into the bridge humbucker route of my guitar. It fits in there only if the pickup is allowed to sit with no slant angle - in either direction. I would post a pic of it but i haven't been able to attach photos to posts since the last forum software update. I actually have no problem personally with the pickup positioned without a slant, but I am not finding any adaptor rings for Tele pickups without that slant. Now that I have confirmed that my Dimarzio can definitely fit in the guitar's route, I am less apprehensive about attempting to customize a blank PVC ring piece with a Dremel to have the cavity and screwholes positioned to allow the pup to fit in there.
      Now that I re-gained capability to Attach a Pic to a post, here is a pic of that Dimarzio Area T 615 sitting in the bridge humbucker route of my guitar. There's not enough free room on the four sides to slant the pickup diagonally - in either direction - like a Telecaster bridge singlecoil normally is positioned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
        Now that I re-gained capability to Attach a Pic to a post, here is a pic of that Dimarzio Area T 615 sitting in the bridge humbucker route of my guitar. There's not enough free room on the four sides to slant the pickup diagonally - in either direction - like a Telecaster bridge singlecoil normally is positioned.

... and same limit on free space with the pickup facing the other way.

Comment

mount it straight then. the rev does that on some of his bolins. a tele pup in a lp isnt gonna sound like a tele but i bet itll be cool

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
            You have a couple of options if you're going for more tele twang in a humbucker format. I started with the T-Deco as the S-Deco is a killer all around bridge humbucker. If you're going for a blackguard/broadcaster vibe, I say add an A3. Right now, I'm using more "standard winds" for a "tele on steroids PAF" at 7.7K -8.3K, still using an A3. I've had great results in a '67 SG Melody Maker which already *had a great single coil tone. I was able to play a lot of RHCP with that guitar (*think "Suck My Kiss" or "Can't Stop"). *It definitely had a single coil twang that reminded me of A3 Broadcaster pickups.

You can commission a build from MJ and the SD Custom Shop, but the wait might be long. James at Rewind Electric can wind the same pickup I used in the SG Melody Maker. Right now, I have the 8.3K Tele bridge in a Korina Flying V that I recently put together. Just haven't plugged it in yet.

Here's James description/design of the humbucker: "Yes, I do make a pickup just like that. I don't really have a name for it, but it's basically a lower output humbucker with an A3 magnet and high coil offset, along with some brighter sounding steel screws and slugs. It's definitely a PAF-style humbucker, but you'll certainly think of a Tele when you play it. It's got a very "Fendery" vibe and will bring out many of the same frequencies and that same punchy, full clarity".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
            James winds some great stuff. He made me my favorite-ever neck humbucker, a custom wound A3 that sounds fantastic.
            I have number of his other winds too.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              James winds some great stuff. He made me my favorite-ever neck humbucker, a custom wound A3 that sounds fantastic.
              I use an A3 in my favorite neck humbuckers too! A3 is too weak for me as a bridge humbucker put perfect in the neck.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Quick derail:

I have a set of the "Blackguard" PAFs w/ A3s. I reluctantly sold a set of Low Output humbuckers that were NOS Wire. I absolutely loved them in a '69 ES 335. Wow, were they spectacular. No need for a Les Paul with that guitar and pickup combo. I also have his 65 Hendrix strat pickups wound in NOS REA Wire. I love them, never selling this set. Having owned many '52-53 P90s, James' Cool P90 aim captures the essence and tone of an early p90. I can't justify paying $300-400 more for a vintage p90, if his is about 95% of the way there. The vintage magnets do make a difference.

James is a super cool dude to work with. He'll listen to what you want and need to give you his best work/product. He also likes to smoke cigars and drink scotch \m/

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  I use an A3 in my favorite neck humbuckers too! A3 is too weak for me as a bridge humbucker put perfect in the neck.
                  I think that is why I love the early '52-53 p90s for the neck position. They exclusively use the A3s and begin to switch soon after. A3s are lovely in a flatpole tele bridge. My favorite tele pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    mount it straight then. the rev does that on some of his bolins. a tele pup in a lp isnt gonna sound like a tele but i bet itll be cool
                    All of the adaptor plates for Tele pickups have the hole slanted... except for Joe Bence's aluminum adaptor plates I mentioned a couple of posts back but the location of his screwholes that mount the plate to the pickup ring, aren't in alignment with the spacing of the screw holes on my guitar.

I mentioned a couple posts back I decided I would get a humbucker sized Tele style pickup, but if in the future I have the time and willingness to mod one of those plastic adaptor plates myself with a dremel, yeah, I could mount a Tele singlecoil without a slant and make it work. Currently I don't have the time or patience to undertake it.

Comment

Update:

I received and installed the Fralin Twangmaster Bridge Pickup.

I have found the Twangmaster to sound very Tele like and live up to its claims.

I happened to opt for the 2% underwound version, to help ensure it would be as snappy as possible given that it was being installed in a Les Paul style guitar.
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-29-2020, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X