banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Cool. That's what I'm here for.

I might try one of these myself. They're cheap, and I've got a Broadcaster sitting around here looking for a project.
    New complication: i went back and did a third fit check, this time attempting to seat the pickup (placed in the mounting ring) into the humbucker route of the guitar. The extended front flange of the Tele pickup causes it not to fit with that adaptor ring having the pickup at the standard Tele slant. First remedy idea would be to modify the guitar's humbucker cavity, which i do not want to do. It did actuallynfit when i rotated the pickup so there was no longer an angle, but obviously the adaptor ring is built with an angle. They make blank PVC pieces of these adalptor rings where I could dremel out by hand the pickup slot, pickup holder screws, and screwholes for attaching the adaptor ring to the mounting ring, but that feels like a pain in the a**. Think I may have to go back to looking at pickup solutions that are in a humbucker footprint.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Hey Jack; I don't know if this will be helpful, but the GFS page showed the Tele pup mounted backwards. Maybe that's the "trick." Also, I once made a Tele adapter out of brass, for my Peavey Tele that had a humbucker route for the bridge. It took very little time to drill small holes around the pattern, and then punch the piece out and file the edges smooth.(Using a Dremel, of course.) I bet PVC would be even easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele-to-LP-Adapter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	5821033

Comment

Hey Jack; I don't know if this will be helpful, but the GFS page showed the Tele pup mounted backwards. Maybe that's the "trick." Also, I once made a Tele adapter out of brass, for my Peavey Tele that had a humbucker route for the bridge. It took very little time to drill small holes around the pattern, and then punch the piece out and file the edges smooth.(Using a Dremel, of course.) I bet PVC would be even easier.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105674[/ATTACH]
        Cool! Might want to order a flat poled pickup?
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I don't want to read the whole thread because I can't really speak to solutions of your problem with any authority, but I can tell you the P-Rail idea isn't what you want.

I love my P-Rails in my SG because I play heavy stoner humbucker stuff like 40% of the time, P90 classic rock stuff 50% of the time, and like 10% little clean twangy riffs.

When your ears are used to the the thick humbucker or the growly P90 and you switch to the rail, it sounds thin and twangy, kind of like a Telecaster but only by comparison. And it's not hum-cancelling anymore.

If you went from playing a bonafide Telecaster and then switched to the Gibson with the P-Rail Rail coil engaged, you would notice it's not nearly "the real thing" just a reasonable facsimile.

Good for a guy like me who doesn't use the sound much but I wouldn't recommend it for what you're aiming at.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

put a low output, bright paf type bucker in there and call it a day. 59n or seth neck depending on your flavor. a lp isnt going to sound like a tele but neither is a strat. a 59n in the bridge will be bright and steely. the twangmaster looks cool

Comment

I was also tempted to suggest the Jazz Bridge. I had one in a LP style guitar. It gave it plenty of snap on the low strings and a really nice top end.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by TVFV; 07-08-2020, 08:22 PM.
              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                The twangmaster looks cool
                I thought so too. And it also looks like it does the thing that I hoped a Vintage Rails or Duck did. That is, two left/right coils, like the G&L 2-piece humbuckers do.

Comment

I've never had a Hot Stack Tele but the sound samples sound pretty good. https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...hot-stack-tele
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Thanks Jeremy for the pup recommendations.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105674[/ATTACH]
                      I don't know how the Tele pup in that pic is fitting without having to either enlarge the humbucker route in the guitar or trim material off the baseplate. I just did a fourth fit check where I placed the Dimarzio Area T 615 into the bridge humbucker route of my guitar. It fits in there only if the pickup is allowed to sit with no slant angle - in either direction. I would post a pic of it but i haven't been able to attach photos to posts since the last forum software update. I actually have no problem personally with the pickup positioned without a slant, but I am not finding any adaptor rings for Tele pickups without that slant. Now that I have confirmed that my Dimarzio can definitely fit in the guitar's route, I am less apprehensive about attempting to customize a blank PVC ring piece with a Dremel to have the cavity and screwholes positioned to allow the pup to fit in there.
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-08-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

This one isn't noise cancelling. Bill Lawrence also had one like this but I can't find the model number.
                        At Lollar Pickups, we're obsessed with tone. Each of our guitar, bass and steel guitar pickups is custom-built and handmade from scratch, merging old-school craftsmanship with cutting-edge technology. Check out our website and let us help you find the best passive guitar pickups for you!

Comment

I don't think a rail from a P-Rail sounds very Tele-like. If you really want the best solution, I am sure MJ can make it. Or, looking at something production-based, maybe a Jazz bridge.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                            I don't know how the Tele pup in that pic is fitting without having to either enlarge the humbucker route in the guitar or trim material off the baseplate. I just did a fourth fit check where I placed the Dimarzio Area T 615 into the bridge humbucker route of my guitar. It fits in there only if the pickup is allowed to sit with no slant angle - in either direction.
                            I'm curious about that too. So I ordered the Tele one and the Strat one. Hopefully won't take too long to get here. They already emailed me and said it had shipped.

Comment

A split JB is in that ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                                This one isn't noise cancelling. Bill Lawrence also had one like this but I can't find the model number.
                                https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar...novel-t-bridge
                                Thanks. The Novel T did come up in my searches - wish it was hum-canceling. I had not heard of a similar Bill Lawrence/Wilde pickup before -- just did some looking on the internet, couldn't find anything that seemed like a match.

Comment

Working...
                                X