banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

Yeah, you might find a high output pickup in parallel might sound tele-ish, but I haven't used many of them in parallel to give a recommendation.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Candidates for Tele sounding, hum-canceling bridge pickup for LP humbucker route?

The answer to the OP is Custom Shop T-Deco. It's exactly that.

And like Venus/Mincer said, a Jazz Bridge is close to a T-Deco, but different. The Jazz bridge sounds slightly weaker/darker than the T-Deco. Might be able to adjust your amp to get there with a Jazz bridge.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 07-08-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        The answer to the OP is Custom Shop T-Deco. It's exactly that.

And like Mincer said, a Jazz Bridge is close to a T-Deco, but different. The Jazz bridge sounds slightly weaker/darker than the T-Deco. Might be able to adjust your amp to get there with a Jazz bridge.
        Hmmm... the descriptions of "hot", "PAF-like", and "Tele on steriods PAF" I am seeing in what I found online for S-Deco and T-Deco don't seem like a match for what I think of as a traditional Tele bridge singlecoil sound.

This is what i found for S-Deco and T-Deco:

... and this:

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
        ... Seymour Duncan Custom Humbucker: Aged Parchment. I asked MJ to wind me an S-Deco with an added "Tele on Steroids PAF" vibe to it. Pretty much an overwound PAF with some added twang. She wound it to 9K and used 42 awg Maroon wire, A5, and lightly waxed. I called it a "T-Deco". SOLD
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
          Hmmm... the descriptions of "hot", "PAF-like", and "Tele on steriods PAF" I am seeing in what I found online for S-Deco and T-Deco don't seem like a match for what I think of as a traditional Tele bridge singlecoil sound.

... and this:
          I have the T-Deco, used it in an SG and an LP; and I have an Ash Tele with a Broadcaster, and a Rosewood Tele with Fender Twisted Tele pickups. I made my recommendation based on those experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            I have the T-Deco, used it in an SG and an LP; and I have an Ash Tele with a Broadcaster, and a Rosewood Tele with Fender Twisted Tele pickups. I made my recommendation based on those experiences.
            Ah, ok, thank you.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

... and this:
              You have a couple of options if you're going for more tele twang in a humbucker format. I started with the T-Deco as the S-Deco is a killer all around bridge humbucker. If you're going for a blackguard/broadcaster vibe, I say add an A3. Right now, I'm using more "standard winds" for a "tele on steroids PAF" at 7.7K -8.3K, still using an A3. I've had great results in a '67 SG Melody Maker which already *had a great single coil tone. I was able to play a lot of RHCP with that guitar (*think "Suck My Kiss" or "Can't Stop"). *It definitely had a single coil twang that reminded me of A3 Broadcaster pickups.

You can commission a build from MJ and the SD Custom Shop, but the wait might be long. James at Rewind Electric can wind the same pickup I used in the SG Melody Maker. Right now, I have the 8.3K Tele bridge in a Korina Flying V that I recently put together. Just haven't plugged it in yet.

Here's James description/design of the humbucker: "Yes, I do make a pickup just like that. I don't really have a name for it, but it's basically a lower output humbucker with an A3 magnet and high coil offset, along with some brighter sounding steel screws and slugs. It's definitely a PAF-style humbucker, but you'll certainly think of a Tele when you play it. It's got a very "Fendery" vibe and will bring out many of the same frequencies and that same punchy, full clarity".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-09-2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Yeah, you might find a high output pickup in parallel might sound tele-ish, but I haven't used many of them in parallel to give a recommendation.
                That's why I mentioned the JB early on. But a hot Tele shaped pickup mounted backwards in a humbucking picking pickup adapter ring seems like a good idea.

No one has mentioned the Little 59 Tele bridge pickup, since the OP wants noiseless.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                  You have a couple of options if you're going for more tele twang in a humbucker format. I started with the T-Deco as the S-Deco is a killer all around bridge humbucker. If you're going for a blackguard/broadcaster vibe, I say add an A3. Right now, I'm using more "standard winds" for a "tele on steroids PAF" at 7.7K -8.3K, still using an A3. I've had great results in a '67 SG Melody Maker which already *had a great single coil tone. I was able to play a lot of RHCP with that guitar (*think "Suck My Kiss" or "Can't Stop"). *It definitely had a single coil twang that reminded me of A3 Broadcaster pickups.

You can commission a build from MJ and the SD Custom Shop, but the wait might be long. James at Rewind Electric can wind the same pickup I used in the SG Melody Maker. Right now, I have the 8.3K Tele bridge in a Korina Flying V that I recently put together. Just haven't plugged it in yet.

Here's James description/design of the humbucker: "Yes, I do make a pickup just like that. I don't really have a name for it, but it's basically a lower output humbucker with an A3 magnet and high coil offset, along with some brighter sounding steel screws and slugs. It's definitely a PAF-style humbucker, but you'll certainly think of a Tele when you play it. It's got a very "Fendery" vibe and will bring out many of the same frequencies and that same punchy, full clarity".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Wow, great detailed info - thank you!

Comment

The Bill Lawrence website has always been a mess. I'm not sure which model this is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5d9d1cec56cd0ee1932810dc32ab1f974c6a8a94.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	5821048

Comment

Feel like I'm late to this party, but Jack, if you can get me accurate measurements of the mounting plate and the clearance you need for the pickup - and don't mind doing a little sanding and finishing work to make it look nice - I could possibly 3D print you a piece to perfectly fit the "bulge" of your tele pickup - if you're even still considering that route

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        The Bill Lawrence website has always been a mess. I'm not sure which model this is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105701[/ATTACH]
                        Found it. I downloaded that image and then used Google Lens to search the internet for it. It came back saying that image was part of Page 3 of the thread below from the MyLesPaul forum. Quoting from Reply # 47:

"That pickup you have a picture of is an early L-490, which became the L-609, (more confusion.) The slanted polepieces were an option, but I don't think they make them that way anymore ."

LINK: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/bi...s.39197/page-3

Comment

Found it. I downloaded that image and then used Google Lens to search the internet for it. It came back saying that image was part of Page 3 of the thread below from the MyLesPaul forum. Quoting from Reply # 47:

"That pickup you have a picture of is an early L-490, which became the L-609, (more confusion.) The slanted polepieces were an option, but I don't think they make them that way anymore ."

LINK: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/bi...s.39197/page-3
                          The Wilde website isn't much better. But if you're looking for Bill Lawrence pickups that are Lawrence family made, check these out: https://www.wildepickups.com/product...free-tele-lead
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by RexRemus View Post
                            Feel like I'm late to this party, but Jack, if you can get me accurate measurements of the mounting plate and the clearance you need for the pickup - and don't mind doing a little sanding and finishing work to make it look nice - I could possibly 3D print you a piece to perfectly fit the "bulge" of your tele pickup - if you're even still considering that route
                            Thanks for that very kind offer, Rex. I really appreciate it. I have, however, decided to pursue humbucker sized pickups. I will explain more about that in an upcoming post.

Comment

Send an email to Becky Lawrence she would be able to give you an answer. She was winding those ten years ago so I don't know why she couldn't now?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                                Do you want the sounding portion to be single coil form factor? Because I think the WLH and JB have good Tele character.
                                Based on the bridge PAF in my '62 LP, I wouldn't be surprised if the WLH has some Tele-characteristics. Mine is extremely bright and cutting, and if I played some faux-pedal steel licks, could probably fool a lot of people.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X